UnBended loot system ... bring your running shoes

I like PoE's method of drops. The party creator decides whether he wants a free for all, a short allocation, or a permanent allocation. Then there's no worries. When playing with new people you don't have to worry about thieves. With friends you all take what you want and leave the rest to the others. That's my experience.

• Like! 1

I like PoE's method of drops. The party creator decides whether he wants a free for all, a short allocation, or a permanent allocation. Then there's no worries. When playing with new people you don't have to worry about thieves. With friends you all take what you want and leave the rest to the others. That's my experience.

I like this a lot

:)

gogo

I really don't like loot snatching and so forth :( I am not 'twitchy' in getting loot. It would be a motivating factor for me to not play with a party. Sacred 2 also due to the mechanics of xp discouraged partying. Unless you were at exactly the same level you could get more xp solo.

• 4 weeks later...

Have this been any updates to the loot policy?

Depends. What are you interested in?

Unbended is a no-go for me unless they revise their pro loot-stealing policy. I was just curious if there had been any change.

Unbended is a no-go for me unless they revise their pro loot-stealing policy. I was just curious if there had been any change.

No, and their decision is very reasonable in terms of rewards and balance.

Why is that such a big issue for you? Do you have friends who you cannot trust with loot?

Why is that such a big issue for you? Do you have friends who you cannot trust with loot?

How in the world does loot-stealing affect balance?

Why is loot-stealing a big issue for me? Did you really ask that question?

Everything's pre-alpha, if the game's slated for release minimum three years from now, who knows where loot system will end up.

I promise though that if I play with you I won't rob you

:D

gogo

How in the world does loot-stealing affect balance?

Why is loot-stealing a big issue for me? Did you really ask that question?

By balance, I mean – you kill a boss with a huge broad sword, you get the broad sword. If a single PC brought down the boss, he gets 1 boss broad sword. If a team brought down the boss, they have to choose who gets a boss broad sword. They do not get any more than 1, and they can’t cheat/exploit the game by giving all their versions of the boss broad sword to one PC.

Teamwork. :pirate::music::blush::guns::paladin::chef:

If everybody got the boss sword for beating just the 1 boss, it would kill player item exchange and create an item copier. Noone will be able to trade very useful loot, found on their end, to the player that needs it.

And yes, I have to ask "how many loot ninjas do you have?", because you propose to break the game immersion into the direction of “the game that shall not be named”.

So I will rephrase the question. Why are you so scared of loot ninjas in Unbended being in your MP session? This is not Diablo 3 singleplayer where people could randomly spawn. This is a game with a lobby, and most likely password protected sessions. So choosing the people you play with is completely in your control. This is not an MMO, its MP.

Where are your loot ninjas coming from?

• Like! 1

You guys seen this from the UnBended FAQ?

This excerpt is interesting:

How is the loot going to be in multiplayer mode? Will everything be divided so that you have fights over the best loot or will everyone have their own individual loot?

In S1 we worked with a first comes, first serves concept and we still prefer that. For the dynamic of the game thats surely a good thing. So you have to choose the right fellow players instead of letting the system regulate everything.

I'm actually kinda used to this, as Sacred was the first game I ever played, so pretty much was eyes agog at everything happening every second of the game in those days, and met up a lot of people. I think their take on "choose the right fellow players" could help with systems like this.

What do you guys think?

Is the color of that font, green, visible? Had to copy/paste from the Faq and wanted to make sure it showed up on Cell phones

gogo

The only problem with the first come first serve style these days is people run programs like "pickit" that allow their toon to run directly to specific drops and grab them before a live player can react. I like the POE style of allowing the game maker to choose free for all or dedicated loot. Or even the sacred 2 style of a release timer.

That's my opinion.

• Like! 1

You guys seen this from the UnBended FAQ?

This excerpt is interesting:

How is the loot going to be in multiplayer mode? Will everything be divided so that you have fights over the best loot or will everyone have their own individual loot?

In S1 we worked with a first comes, first serves concept and we still prefer that. For the dynamic of the game thats surely a good thing. So you have to choose the right fellow players instead of letting the system regulate everything.

I'm actually kinda used to this, as Sacred was the first game I ever played, so pretty much was eyes agog at everything happening every second of the game in those days, and met up a lot of people. I think their take on "choose the right fellow players" could help with systems like this.

What do you guys think?

Is the color of that font, green, visible? Had to copy/paste from the Faq and wanted to make sure it showed up on Cell phones

gogo

The only problem with the first come first serve style these days is people run programs like "pickit" that allow their toon to run directly to specific drops and grab them before a live player can react.

:o

gogo

Looks like technology has changed a lot since the dynamics of olden day Sacred, and our parties and drops... I'm curious as heck as to how the devs will work with this.

I myself actually like the idea that the team leader picks how he wants drops to happen... don't seen any dis-benefits with this at all

gogo

• Like! 1

I promise though that if I play with you I won't rob you

:drinks: Quite right, but how many strangers did you meet playing Sacred 2? How many would you have met if Sacred 2 used the loot system that Unbended is planning?

SX255,
Immersion is way too subjective to argue.
In your boss/sword example, why would anyone group up for such a fight? Solo, you are guaranteed the drop, so why would you group up when every player you add reduces your chances of getting anything?
Assuming Unbended uses a system like Sacred 2, you could easily play in password protected servers, but that also discourages playing with and meeting new people. Like the dev's "choose the right fellow players", playing in your own little sandbox behind a password seems like a back-handed work around to deal with the loot policy. Work-arounds to a problem that the dev's are choosing to create and can just as easily choose not to.
  • Like! 1

Looks like technology has changed a lot since the dynamics of olden day Sacred, and our parties and drops... I'm curious as heck as to how the devs will work with this.

I myself actually like the idea that the team leader picks how he wants drops to happen... don't seen any dis-benefits with this at all

gogo

Yea works great with POE. If you're rushing someone you can mask make it free for all so they can grab upgrades as you go. Or when paying with friends you trust. Short allocation allows you to decide if you want something out to leave it for release. Permanent is good for public games so you don't miss out on your legends or uniques.

My guess is, that Lujate is keeping in mind what happened in the days Sacred: Underworld was more or less becoming an "older" game.

At those times, the servers weren't filled with just friends, but also with the newer -read: younger - players who'd like to powerlevel and such.

Those kind of players just entered a server - even HC Closed; which I used to play - checked the logbook for open quests, teleport to that area and close all quests just to get the XP and items, before leaving the server again.

I've experienced this several times; and believe me; if there's something frustrating me in a MP game, it's Item / XP robbers. It was also the main reason why I started a new toon up to the first 10 levels in a 4-player server. Just to make sure I got what I worked for.

If not mistaken, this was also the reason why Ascaron removed the main-quest from their servers, because groups of players doing that quest, didn't get the XP because other players closed the quests before they got to that point.

Now, for the "team-leader" thingy:

When I was a member of a clan-I-won't-mention, I've been organizing / participating in quite some Clan-events. Logic would be that the one organizing the event, would be the team-leader. However, most of the time it were a few players who happen to be clan-forum moderator / clan-staff who'd took control of the clan-event. As a result, bosses were often fought before all the participants were in place to join the fight; and thus they were left out of the loot and the XP.

Trust me, not much fun when "friends" treat you like that.

I can't say much about the loot-system of Sacred 2 MP; since I didn't play it that much, because of problems I had with the before mentioned clan. Since you had to use a clan-tag in your name, I had in my unlimited wisdom decided to add the tag to my log-in name. And since I wasn't allowed to be in that clan, I wasn't allowed to use that tag, however, removing it was impossible.

What I do know, is that the system worked fine; except for the duration of the timer. 60 seconds to wait before a drop someone didn't want becomes available for anyone else is too long in a MP game. By then the one making the kill has moved on a lot further, basicly leaving his / her party behind, thus getting more of the XP etc.

Lowering the time-out up to 15 -20 seconds would certainly be better.

As for the servers: one of the results of the item / XP looters in Sacred : Underworld, was that in Sacred 2 a lot of players created a single player, password locked MP-server; thus locking up the server slots, making it impossible for other players to play this game in MP.

So, all in all, I prefer I short time locked item drop, as it would give everybody a fair share of the drops. The way things work in Diablo 3 are fine to me.

Now, as for teamwork:

I remember starting the "Bounty hunters" quest in Underworld at some point with a couple of Dutch players who'd like to do that quest. After some time they left off, because it was taking quite some time to get from one bounty to another. But they said they'd be back later to join in the last runs and get the amulet.

More or less at the same time, several other players dropped in and asked - which was common to do - where everyone was. After mentioning we're doing the bounty quest, they offered to help, but only after a server re-boot.

So, after the re-boot the quest line was started again and something funny happened. Those two Dutch players just stood at the board, while the rest of us - 10-12 persons - roamed the map, killed the bounty and kept killing things in that region. Eventually all bounties were slain, the two Dutch players had their ammy - an unique, if not mistaken - and some regions were so close to getting the region boss, we'd went on a rampage to do those as well; thus having those Dutch players to teleport to one region, helping killing the boss, after all moved to the next region and so on.

Although we weren't able to clear all regions, we did have a good time and it showed me how enjoyable MP could be if you're joined by people you can trust.

Thorin :)

• Like! 1

Assuming Unbended uses a system like Sacred 2, you could easily play in password protected servers, but that also discourages playing with and meeting new people. Like the dev's "choose the right fellow players", playing in your own little sandbox behind a password seems like a back-handed work around to deal with the loot policy. Work-arounds to a problem that the dev's are choosing to create and can just as easily choose not to.

So your entire "no go" opinion on Unbended is based on "I want to meet new people in MP" and "I don’t want MP people stealing my loot"?

facepalm.gif

CurageTG1.jpg

You are literally complaining about people being ****s in MP.

The only solution I can recommend is to have the "PvP + Hardcore mode" on. Then you be the judge, jury and executioner on who gets to keep what.

Also, you will never prevent trolls. As a programmer, I guarantee to you, there is no system/code/app/solution to this issue that won’t turn the game into Sacred 3. Anyone who tells you otherwise is a scammer.

Would "PvP + Hardcore mode" satisfy your MP game?

How about this for a compromise....

I'll use Gogo for my example (just cuz I can :))

Gogo is in a party, with me and Schot. Another player named Evil Gogo is in the same area as us, but not part of our group.

As we are battling a boss and his minions, Gogo's Gaunlets of Gore drops from a kill gogo made. Now he is excited because it's the last set piece of Gogo's Garments he's been searching for. But we're still battling the boss. If there was no restrictions on loot, does gogo trust me and Schot enough not to grab? Plus will Evil Gogo sneak in and swipe the item?

This is my idea how to get gogo his needed set piece without worrying.

Each enemy will drop player-only loot. This loot will only be able to be seen by that player for 20 seconds.

Once the 20 sec timer elapses, that loot will be viewable to all in the group for 60 seconds.

After that, it is viewable to all players in the server.

After about 5 minutes, loot will disappear from ground. (So we don't have hundreds of white items laying around tying up server resources)

So gogo has time to get his gauntlets without having to break off what he is doing, run and grab it. If for some reason he misses seeing it or doesn't want it, his group has exclusive access to it for 60 secs. After that, if it hasn't been picked up, Evil Gogo, still lurking in the shadows, can pick it up.

How about this for a compromise....

I'll use Gogo for my example (just cuz I can :))

Gogo is in a party, with me and Schot. Another player named Evil Gogo is in the same area as us, but not part of our group.

As we are battling a boss and his minions, Gogo's Gaunlets of Gore drops from a kill gogo made. Now he is excited because it's the last set piece of Gogo's Garments he's been searching for. But we're still battling the boss. If there was no restrictions on loot, does gogo trust me and Schot enough not to grab? Plus will Evil Gogo sneak in and swipe the item?

This is my idea how to get gogo his needed set piece without worrying.

Each enemy will drop player-only loot. This loot will only be able to be seen by that player for 20 seconds.

Once the 20 sec timer elapses, that loot will be viewable to all in the group for 60 seconds.

After that, it is viewable to all players in the server.

After about 5 minutes, loot will disappear from ground. (So we don't have hundreds of white items laying around tying up server resources)

So gogo has time to get his gauntlets without having to break off what he is doing, run and grab it. If for some reason he misses seeing it or doesn't want it, his group has exclusive access to it for 60 secs. After that, if it hasn't been picked up, Evil Gogo, still lurking in the shadows, can pick it up.

Isn't this similar to sacred 2? I'm a little Confused about why the HC players from Sacred 2 are saying what they're saying about the type of loot system.

I'm a little Confused about why the HC players from Sacred 2 are saying what they're saying about the type of loot system.

Unbended has said that so far "they prefer" to go with "first come first served" system... as per sacred original game, you can check first post in this topic for complete quote

gogo

I'm a little Confused about why the HC players from Sacred 2 are saying what they're saying about the type of loot system.

Unbended has said that so far "they prefer" to go with "first come first served" system... as per sacred original game, you can check first post in this topic for complete quote

gogo

Oh you're comparing to S1. I'm think of Sacred 2. I've never played S1 multi player. Now I understand. So I take it no one was a fan of the Sacred 2 loot system? I liked it. Edited by Veracious