Playing with mouse/keyboard is horror!

megnatar

Hey there,

So I played the first two releases of this game with tons of fun. I got myself a copy of the 3th release. Its titled "Sacred" though its a way different game than part 1 and 2. that did not bother me till I start playing in coop mode and used the mouse and keyboard.

The controls are terrible, no they are even worse than that. specially on boss fights with lots of effects and monsters around. Let me tell you why I think that is.

First of all the cursor will stay at its place so when you run/walk or get pushed away the distance between you're char and the mouse pointer increases. Really? who made that up? So when slammed away you will lose sight of the pointer location on screen. (where is my mouse......)That will also cause sometimes that you're attacking in the wrong direction

Second playing with MKB will force the player to keep track of the pointer at all times. With lots of things going about on screen playing with MKB will give a huge disadvantage over a regular controller. Its really really terrible!

• Like! 1

Yeah the moment I read about how the control scheme worked was the moment this game died utterly to me. This was the developers saying "we designed this for consoles, f*** you PC players."

Hey there,

So I played the first two releases of this game with tons of fun. I got myself a copy of the 3th release. Its titled "Sacred" though its a way different game than part 1 and 2. that did not bother me till I start playing in coop mode and used the mouse and keyboard.

The controls are terrible, no they are even worse than that. specially on boss fights with lots of effects and monsters around. Let me tell you why I think that is.

First of all the cursor will stay at its place so when you run/walk or get pushed away the distance between you're char and the mouse pointer increases. Really? who made that up? So when slammed away you will lose sight of the pointer location on screen. (where is my mouse......)That will also cause sometimes that you're attacking in the wrong direction

Second playing with MKB will force the player to keep track of the pointer at all times. With lots of things going about on screen playing with MKB will give a huge disadvantage over a regular controller. Its really really terrible!

Very much not a fan of the controlling scheme either, though I'm coming from PC only back ground mostly...

:blink:

gogo

p.s. also welcome to DarkMatters Megnatar!

Its the way of the world, most games are now made for console first, pc second. Only a small number of devs look the other way, as the money is too good to ignore. Most genres are better on console because of the limited variation in specs you need to work for, and the controller scheme is already there. ARPG in an exception and MMO to a degree too, mainly as you need a keyboard to control the game more effectively. I know that D3 exists on console, as do MMO, but its generally easier to play them both on keyboard. I played FF14 on PS3, its really hard to type using a controller.

But that doesn't defend in anyway the control scheme of this game on pc.

But that doesn't defend in anyway the control scheme of this game on pc.

Defend? The more I think about it, the more these PC controls become an actual Epic Fail. Diablo 1 (1996 - 18 years ago, Gods I'm old) had better keyboard&mouse controls than what I saw in this travesty.

Porting a game from one device to another is always a challenge. The input system changes sometimes so drastically, that you have to ether rebalance the game, or find intricate ways to go around ALL the setbacks. Then there is the OS issue, where "your graphical system is not supported" means "learn a new 3D render tool from scratch". It doesn't happen any more because of most devices supporting common tool systems.

Long story short, you ether set in stone from day one which devices will support your game and skip the extra work, or you port them over one at a time when the game is complete. Ether way - it's brain breaking labor.

But there is ABSOLUTELY NO EXCUSE for your game to have poor PC controls. You have the BIGGEST set of buttons at your disposal (keyboard) and one of the most accurate XY analog position converters (mouse). Its should be impossible to fail at making poor controls for PC, because that's where you build your game. Not on a tablet, not on a phone, not on a console - on a PC.

And yet, somehow these developers failed at making a BASIC isometric hack&slash game with a keyboard&mouse. It's as if they were literally these guys: