the shellgame of ogame

hi all :crazy:

I think it was on the da forum that someone compared ogame to the shellgame. have lots of shells and have the winning prize under one of them.

I was looking to see methods that others use. the t-ring articles cover quite a bit.

some of the ones I use are as follows:

1. play at different times, so that folks trying to determine when u are on by the galaxy page just can't quite do it. this means setting fleets to return few hours after waking up, sometimes early and stopping for a few hours during the day.

2. fleet save by deploy and recall. it is still visible in the fleet view, but doesn't show up on the overview page so, if I understand right, it is hiddenfrom phalanx hits.

3. this one scared the crap out of me. renamed a planet to throw off some players. I had fleets out, they disappeared from the fleet screen and overview. could see that fleetslots were used in galaxy view to commander. would only work well if I wrote return times down beforehand.

4. hit inactives for a few days, change your attack patterns.

5. may not be real good, but name planets to something that would indicate another part of the world. I use british names but am in america.

chris

Guest gogoblender

Good Post Trd

Re: yer points...I'll adress each one.

1-absolutely...lol, though I don't do it puposefully :P I just have the wackiest hours and so I'm able to hit planets fulltme with only a small window when my fleet is unattended while I'm sleeping. I usualy do research on planets before I hit them. I wait fer a few days, especially before big hit to see when they're making stuff. This is usually a pretty good indicator of online times and of course...patriotic names TOTALLY give away their game times...heh, usually. ;)

2-Yeah I've heard of that...but never had to use it yet...lol, I make ABSOLUTELY sher that all my planets are not in phalanx range. Yeah I know it's hard work every day to check out my planets in the Core...but phalanxes can completley take out EVEYRTHING we've worked for in this game.

3-hahha...I always rename planets! you're right...it DOES throw peeps off! Getting attached to names is dangerous. Staying on the move and defining ourselves as dynamic and ever changing nemeses regarding our planet's names, moving res around and switching attack times is the way to get to the top. Course...it takes more time...but if you've got the time fer this game...this the way it's gonna have ta be done.

4-Good one...changing attack patterns is always good. LEt's the inactives build up res and you can hit em again.

5-Excellent idea! lol, I have taken to calling my planets with Italian names lately...heh, dunno if it works or not...but I like the way the names sound...and who knows...maybe it'll work a few times ;)

Also...I once changed my player name! ;)

I did this cuz at that point my fleet was top ten. I was becoming a huge target and so the number of probes all my planets were getting was tripled. When you've got a big fleet...be prepared to either defend it, keep it on the move or hide it.

Cheers!

:)

gogo

I did this cuz at that point my fleet was top ten. I was becoming a huge target and so the number of probes all my planets were getting was tripled. When you've got a big fleet...be prepared to either defend it, keep it on the move or hide it.

I really don't have that problem...

I was becoming a huge target and so the number of probes all my planets were getting was tripled.

some of my planets get probed all the time, I just let them. go about my business without regard to their probing. occasionally switch up pickup times for res and deployment of fleets to my fortress planet, so that they never get a consistent idea of resources and fleets.

the great thing about them probing all the time is that it establishes playing patterns. I have some wormy turk that is always probing my planets, multiple times a day. once when he gets up and once when he goes to bed, with the occasional one during the day. very nice to establish playing times, as traffic on a planet is not necessarily generated from the owner of the planet. I never probe back in the above case, as they could squash me normally just for the heck of it. very nice for when the hunter becomes the hunted later on.

the only times I tend to do any probing at are when europeans are on, say 0700 to 2200 server time. none of this probing that would likely give my country location away.

probing for intimidation is one of my favorite things lately. some guy picking on little guy in alliance, they normally stop after they realize they have someone many times their size probing all their planets in rapid succesion with high esp tech from same alliance.

Guest gogoblender

Absolutely right on with the probing from others as setting pattern.

People often don't realize the complexity of relationships created when attacks or probes are sent.

And like you said TRD...if these guys are doing it like clockwork...they they're just asking for trouble.

Also...the really intresting thing about you never having rez to show the turk...is that you've build up a useful history of PERCEIVED poverty.

This PERCEIVED poverty can...in a tight situation...buy us time or that one critical mistake made with red eyes, late in the morning when the nineeteenth cup of coffee just isn't doing it.

Making someone else think we're poor means perfect fleetsaves. But every once in a while, mistakes are made...and this history is a kind of protection against those mistakes.

gogo