Need help regarding red text

Hey everyone:

So I just found an axe that does better damage than my sword. Problem is, I have no points in the hafted weapons skill, thus "hafted weapons" is showing up in read. First off, what does this red text signify?

Can I still use this hafted weapon effectively, or should I stick with my sword? I'm assuming the red text means I suffer some sort of penalty using something I have no points in? I'm really confused by this. Any help is greatly appreciated :)

The red text on gear means that skill has not been selected yet. That's all. So that modifier does not have an effect on your toon. "Hafted weapons" is the skill in the character menu that you need to put a point in in order to activate any modifier it affects on your weapon.

Sorry if I'm over explaining. Good luck.

Well, there is a penalty to attack speed without Hafted Weapons, but only if the axe is higher than your character level. You can tell if you're being penalized by checking the weapon's attack speed. If it's a negative number, the weapon is so high above your character level that you'd need the skill to avoid the penalty.