And now for something truly disgusting....

3 hours ago, chattius said:

I think today is the day when I posted yesterday that we will eat it tomorrow. 3 hours to go ;)

I'm stoked about this! Just got to reading this post, and it must have turned out... pix if you got 'em please... I've followed some caul recipes on the nt in shows but never used it myself...and liver's never really been a mainstay of my diet, as Theuns notes, noticeably grainy...but i DO love chicken livers served up with onions and ground up like from a Deli...

Chattius, hoping the chef's day is here with you on this creation

:)

gogo

Chattius, I feel like we should cook together for a few weeks... I can only imagine all the amazing things I would taste and how I would be inspired by what you know.

@gogo

I)Sorry, preparing was done by my second and the au pair and I forgot to mention doing pictures. They used bear garlic instead garlic and added some mushrooms in. But the result was close to that on the photos, except seeing green spots from the bear garlic and some white mushroom slices.

ii)Livers being grainy. Hadn't the problem with young livers yet. I wash them in cold water and put them in fresh milk overnight. Liver hates direct contact with salt before roasting, so I place the salt on the outside of the fat-net parts which are folded into the mid. Another problem with liver is overroasting. Fat-netting allows for a better control and no direct contact to hot oil.

iii) the recipe should work with chicken livers (plurale) too.

@delta

Would be interesting I bet.

My recipes are very cheap, because I have most at home. So I can experiment a lot. And experimenting or food preparing is sometimes 'work'. Doing maths you often need ideas. And you can't force ideas. More than once I stopped cooking to write down an idea. Now I am modern, I use a headset and speak the idea to the computer without stopping cooking ;)

Our wooden patchwork house is build into a hillside. So the cellar (350+ years old) is stamped clay and way below ground and allways cool. Ideal to store potato, cabbage, fruits,... I built a 3*3*2m room into it for 0C cooling and have a big industrial fridge in the cellar. My wife uses to say that we could stay alive for half a year without contact to the outerworld. She is probably right. We do far more dried fruits, fruit wine, marmelade, pickled sellerie ,... than we need and give it to relatives or sell it at the firefighter basar. Then there is the wild game which was injured by cars and had to be slaughtered. I never know in advance when it will happen. A big fish pond which was done by my grandgrandpa. What we don't have is a milk cow. The stall for them was a part of the house but my grandpa rebuild it into a large living room and dinning room. But it is just 10 minutes to a farm for fresh milk.

My normal cooking is taking old recipes and replace parts. Huntsmen recipes for example are quite easy. The huntsman collects on his way home the same herbs the game was eating. A boar eats mushrooms, wild carrots, fallen fruits, elder berries, junipers, ...

So I try variants: Mushrooms are different with the season, wild carrots are replaced by orange ones from garden, fruits and berries can be used to make my own fruit wine which will be used to marinade if the boar is male or older, ...

Using old recipes is easy too, still the same plants are grown here. Or for fish, all was used before:

Pikes are low fat and taste dry. So what was done to roast them was:

wrapping in bacon,

or using fatback cut in sticks which are pierced in the hide into holes made with an awl,

or fat-netting. Fat-nets are often leftovers from butchering. 

Fat-netting can keep parts together so a variation was to fill a fish with different content before roasting

Just like trying variants of a theme when doing music with friends, my cooking is often doing variants of modern recipes replacing original stuff with things which are at home or 'local cuisine' and I run into problems when I am asked for 'the' recipe. They want all contents in millgramm while I was just mixing how I felt it would be right.

And just like doing live music with friends playing variations, rarely it will be the same next time I play or cook.