Pillars of Eternity

Very much looking forward to this one. Aims to bring the magic of the now-classic Infinity Engine games (Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale, Planescape Torment). One of a few projects I was willing to back on Kickstarter.

I'm not even an old fan of the IE games, I'm pretty new to them actually, as I just got through Baldur's Gate 1&2 this year and Planescape Torment last year. Still haven't gotten around to Icewind Dale, but I know I want more of these kind of games.

Don't forget about Torment: Tides of Numenera, also in development, aiming to do a similar thing. Looking to be a clash of the titans upcoming next year I bet.

I just checked up on the races roster: man, elf, dwarf and 3 other manlike ones – the basic RPG set. Visually all the races look the same. And looking at the visual presentation in the trailer, after some gear and level ups there will be no visual difference in the races ether. I, and many others, already role-played this to death.

So my question is, what’s so special about this game, other than the nostalgia of late 90s RPGs? What should entice me to buy and play it?

This is a game where story, characters, world and tactical combat are uppermost. Granted that doesn't come through much in the teaser, but following the development of the game it's what struck me.

• 8 months later...