My devious daughter

Just had an appointment this morning and she is now up to 20 pounds....Not sure how big she'll get though....not seeing the Rottweiler mix in her but I might do a doggie dna test to see what she really is.

• Like! 1
  • 1 year later...

Well I never got the dna test and she's now just over 2 yrs old...at about 55 pounds now...so the only growing she'll do is sideways :P

Unfortunately she didn't turn out to be a water dog or truck dog :(

Oh she'll walk down the beach with me but refuses to even get her feet wet

And truck rides...omg....just no.....as soon as she gets in she'll start whining...non-stop

And they opened up a dog park about 1/2 mile from me.....she loves going there and meeting all the...........people

Yup the people.....she couldn't care less about the other dogs...and if they get too much for her she will hide behind a bench or someone's legs

May sound like I don't really like the dog and while I'm dissapointed about the beach and truck otherwise she is awesome. Totally and fully bonded with my daughter. She will not leave her side if she's home. I'm food and treat guy...if I don't have either she's not going to hang around too long. And that's fine with me. Oh I'm walk buddy too though, so long walks on the beach after work are pretty cool.

That and she probably knows about 15-20 tricks.....only one we haven't mastered yet is barkiing at squirrels in the yard she can see from the window...and we have a lot of squirrels.

She used to chase birds and actually caught 3 so far. But I think she's been cured of that habit. She chased several turkeys in the yard until they had enough and 3-4 chased her....freaked her out....oh how she whined to be let back in the house...haven't seen her chase anything with wings since then :P

• Like! 1

A dog not liking water,... I taught my big ones to be water rescue dogs. The only dog we ever had which avoided water was a dog from an animal shelter. Some tourists picked it up in the mediterran. Way to short hair for our climate. It was undercooled very quickly and was too old to be trained to enter water at least in summer.

• Like! 1

Yeah I've tried everything short of picking her up and dropping her in it (something I would never do...how my dad taught me to swim..just dropped me in the shallow part of a pool and I was terrified). If I go out in the water, she will bark furiously from the shore. If I throw a stick/ball in, she'll go as far as getting her paws wet and stop and whine.

She has one doggie best friend....a neighbor has a silver lab and he LOVES the water. She will run up and down the beach all day long following him....always following, never leading...until he goes into the water...she will track his progress from shore and wait for him to get out and then continue following him around.

As far as the truck...not sure why she whines like she does...she doesn't seem uncomfortable or scared and every once in awhile she'll stick her head out the window. All I can think of is when we got her....she spent 2 days in a vehicle getting to us with many other dogs, all cooped up in their cages. I don't know how often she was let out/exercised, though transport company came highly recommended (not like I really had a choice of who to use). Thinking that left an indelible mark on her as a puppy.

The 3 hour ride home she slept almost the entire time on my daughters lap. All I can think is that she thinks rides are a bad/unpleasant thing deep down inside. I mean we all have fears that are irrational or know are foolish but we have them anyways...why should dogs be any different?

Been thinking of getting a second dog...one for me...one that will go with me in the water and on the road. And hopefully he/she will help Shyloh overcome her fear/dislike of water and trucks. Would really like Shyloh to come with me on my road trips...for work and just around the area....so 2 dogs with me instead of none works for me :)

Very often for work we'll have a 1-2 week long project at a tower site....most are fairly isolated in the woods, up on a large hill or mountain....and usually no one else around for at least 1/2 mile or more. My boss will bring his lab all the time to hang out and would love for mine to come along too.

I think that was how I bonded to my boss's dog Coco when he first got her. Initially she would bark and growl at me. We figured out she didn't like hats. Well, I wear a baseball cap all the time so we had a tiny dilemna. Then we went on a road trip to a tower site to look over project and give customer a quote, so all 3 of us went. Guess she figured out I wasn't a bad guy after all. The trip up she stayed in the back seat slowly checking me out. By the time we got back she was all over me and has been ever since.

• Like! 1

Our Bianca (a 98 pound Leonberger) had 7 puppies. We let people choose them at the age of 4 weeks. They could get them half a day when they were 8 weeks. The rest of the day they were with the mother and the siblings. We tried to have at less contact as possible to them in this transition phase. It is a bit shared education. They learn swimming, entering cars and all that with their mother. At 8 weeks they often have not learned all dog behaviour from their mother. But waiting too long it is hard to educate them for the new owners. So we often agree to a 4-6 weeks transition phase with the new owners. At 12-14 weeks they were fully at the new owners.

• Like! 1

Our dog is a Chihuahua/Terrier mix. She's getting on for 13 years old now, has gone deaf, seems to have trouble seeing or smelling her treats, and sometimes misses steps going up or down our back porch. I have a feeling she doesn't have much time left. :(

Here's an old picture of her shortly after we rescued her:

Lady20111008.jpg

There is a dog picture on the Internet being followed by an elephant and ours looks just like it.

• Like! 1