Survival Bonus Doubts

I think I was playing Sacred Gold for at least a few weeks before this site clued me into the hidden stat called 'Survival Bonus', so I've become kind of obsessed with it since.

I think I've read most of the posts regarding this topic here and right now, my highest level character is my Wood Elf at 40 on Silver difficulty with 85% survival bonus and I swear that the higher it gets, the less magical items I seem to get as drops. When it was around 50ish%, it seemed like I was frequently showered with great drops, but now, I truly don't think I'd notice much of a difference if my character died and started at 0 again.

As a test, I made sure to quick save right before a certain fight that included multiple bosses so I could reload the fight to compare the rate of drops and for the most part, they are pretty sub par. Normally they are all white with maybe one blue and only rarely a green.

Am I expecting too much of SB?

Edited by Shadeling

I was always under the impression drops were affected by kill speed, SB%, monster level (I.e champions and bosses giving better ones) and - at least in Sacred 2 - having more of the map revealed.

I was always under the impression drops were affected by kill speed, SB%, monster level (I.e champions and bosses giving better ones) and - at least in Sacred 2 - having more of the map revealed.

yeh.. except he's talking bout Sacred 1...

Hey, thanks for the tip about Rim Valley, Augmint!

I made a beeline to that area thanks to that link. The drops from the Shaddar riders has been much different from the norm for me, at least for the last ten levels or so. I've already done a number of runs through that area via the portal respawn and immediately I could see there was a big difference between those mobs and the boss fight I mentioned in my OP that had multiple bosses/champions that gave me hardly anything and I reloaded it many times in order to test. It seems like the main factor is the type of mob and all the other modifiers (SB, kill rate, etc) just make magical drops a bit more likely?

At least now I think I can relax about SB and just go with it like I did before I started perceiving a magic drop slow down. Whether it was accurate or not, it was messing with my head and driving me nuts. ;)

• Like! 1

Good to hear. It was the area where I finally got a full aarnums set for my daemon so sub conscientiously I may link it to good drops.

I always figured luck was the prevailing factor along with fightin bosses and champions for drops. No one ever came out with any formula or %bonus with SB helping you get set or unique items so it was more of a keep in mind thing.

Have you checked out

http://pctalk.info/Games/Sacred2/Wolfes.Lair/SacredUnderworld/SacredUnderworldHome.htm

it has alot of good info and maps.

Edited by Augmint
  • Like! 1

Well I think I spent about a few hour more than an evenings worth of playtime and while I didn't get a full set, I sure did get a lot of upgrades that made a huge difference in my Wood Elf's one shot kill power, which is really nice. I spent almost as much time with my test group of bosses and didn't have nearly as much success.

And thanks for the link! This is the first I've seen it and from first glance it looks like a site with a lot of useful information. Thanks for the great tips, Augmint! :D