Will there be blood? (In UnBended)

You know, DB, I remember now how amused and excited I was about all the goodies this game offered when it came out...the first time I was on horseback shooting arrows at an enemy got me agasp.

Sacred's blood was innovative!

Kinda liked the fact that there was only gore in the international version...made it "precious"

:D

gogo

I still cant believe Germany is still using "too much blood -> color it green" law.

What is that, what does it mean?

I’m not German, so I can’t explain the details.

The short synopsis is, Germany has very uniquely overcensored videogame industry. Some of it is understandable, like censoring memorabilia from WW2. But some of it is downright a weird sideeffect, like the green blood.

In short, games for Germany (or any other prude country) can only have so much blood in it. If the game has any gore, your rating goes up to +18 or something, if not getting the game banned. So game designers have to mod their own games for the German market.

Ironically, while red blood is not allowed, other color blood is. That’s a bit illogical, so in most cases the developers just turn the NPCs into zombies or robots. That’s how Europe got Probotector instead of Contra for the NES in 1988.

Enter Carmageddon in 1997... The ultimate roadrage game. Hundreds of pedestrians, blood everywhere, great stress killer, no guns, just cars, hours of fun. I even used TDR for my driver exam preparations. :blush:

Naturally Germany didn't like it, a lot. So the pedestrians were turned into robots and zombies, who bleed black and green.

Now, anyone who played Carmageddon games knows how dumb this is – you are there to satisfy your roadrage hunger with whacky gore and satire. And they turned it into a zombie game a decade before we got flooded with them. The “evil fun” was gone.

Worse, if you don’t know about this, you can endup with the “green blooded” game and not even know it, as was my case with playing Carmageddon 2 and TDR. :( Now I have to find the time to replay them proper.

This news came to me in the late 90s... I thought they got rid of the green blood idiocy by now.

Evidently they didn’t.

This is why the question "Will there be blood?" may sound stupid to us, but is VERY relevant to other players.

Edited by SX255
  • Like! 1

I've got to say I don't feel strongly one way or the other, as long as the development of gore doesn't take people away from developing the main game. I've been playing Sacred quite a lot lately (got back into it for some reason), and as I play at maximum zoom out, the blood effects are there, but not a major attraction. I didn't mind the way Sacred 2 handled it, though that was a loss let gory.

On the other hand, I tend to be one of those who isn't bothered about gore, although if it is put in it should be red. The green blood thing is just plain silly.

• Like! 1

If I had one wish granted for this game, it would be to not have the little on/off box for blood and gore in this game, but rather a sliding scale ranging from nothing all the way to ludicrous amounts of blood and gore, like the Hatchet movies combined with the Kill Bill series. As far as color, I think it would be cool if different things bleed in different colors in addition to red. I'm not an expert on critters, but if I'm not mistaken, things like centipedes, scorpions and crabs have hemocyanin or hemolymph or something like that and it's colored like bluish white or grey. Then again, my expertise is in gems and minerals, not bugs and critters. The things I deal with don't tend to bleed. I'm not quite sure who I'd have to call if I found a quartz geode with a circulatory system.

I LOVE this idea

Just as a concept, it could even be made into a game!

:bounce:

gogo

• 1 year later...

Sorry for the bump, but I'm sure by now youve all seen the latest Mortal Kombat's fatalities.

And also loo at how popular the Deadpool movie is.

The masses want to see blood, guts and gore. Fulfil these desires!

Also it would be awesome if instead of an option to disable blood and gore, there was one to turn them into rainbows instead.

Edited by bhav
  • Like! 1

Ahh, good thread to bring back, bhav... I'll always remember seeing those decapitations in the first Sacred on screen and thinknig... Holy Hannah!...!! :lol:... was a great moment... and the entire game was one great discovery after another.

yeah I'm in for a gore slider^^

:butcher:

gogo