Well, I finally did it ...

Spock

I have ordered and started building a new Windows based computer system since my old one runs an OS that is no longer supported (Windows XP).

I'm posting here because I have a feeling that I will be asking for help before I'm finished since there is so much new technology that I'm not familiar with. :(

Anyone interested can see the specs for the machine over at my forum. I won't be posting them here unless I reach a point where I need help. Then I will have to not only list what I have but what I've done so far and what the problem is.

Right now I'll just say it's an Intel i7 processor running at 4GHz with 16 GB RAM, a 2TB mechanical harddrive and a 512GB SSD. I have Windows 8.1 ready to install but I'm still waiting for the internal Blu-Ray drive to get here.

• Like! 1

I have Windows 8 on my gaming laptop, and it works well enough. Most everything you need is still there, you just may have to ask Google where the heck to find it.

I can see it working better on a lap top...the screen is smaller, so the "real estate" they allot to how it all works would make better sense

Re finding stuff on it ...yes, search sucks! :4rofl: ... What happened to the delicious search bar they had in Windows 7 that you didn't need to actually figger out which category the search had to be performed in before hand? This actually was the most frustrating part of the OS for me...and I finally ended up putting in Windows seven clone just for the Start Button with the search

:lol:

gogo

Enjoying w8 is like being fine with Sacred 3

For the short time I got to use it a year ago, Win8 worked fine on the tablet. That's what it was meant to do. Be a tablet OS, not a PC OS.

Sacred 3 is A LOT worse than Windows 8.

For the short time I got to use it a year ago, Win8 worked fine on the tablet. That's what it was meant to do. Be a tablet OS, not a PC OS.

Thanks for the tablet info but if it is that way,why are all laptop brands in my country are using Windows 8 in them?

Enjoying w8 is like being fine with Sacred 3

Sorry, I have to disagree. Sacred 3 you can not bother to install. Windows 8 you have to either cope with or uninstall and put in a whole new operating system. Sort of like the difference in NOT shooting yourself in the foot (Sacred3) and being shot by a gangster and needing emergency treatment (Win8).

Unless of course you scrap your gaming PC and go buy a tablet instead.

• Like! 1

Thanks for the tablet info but if it is that way,why are all laptop brands in my country are using Windows 8 in them?

Windows 8 was supposed to be one desktop for PC, tablet and phone. Unfortunately, PC's got the short end of the stick on that deal.

They did!

But 10 looks like there's going to be many "variations on a theme" kinda thing goin on

:)

gogo

Any idea when Windows 10 will be out and stable? I would prefer Windows 7 right now but it's also about to go under and I want to be able to use my new system for at least a few weeks before the OS is unsupported! :o

My daughter has Windows 8 on her laptop and said it took a while to get used to but it was capable of running older games and the interface could be set up do work the way you want. Yes, I ordered Windows 8.1. I have 16GB RAM but can go to 32GB if I want/need to. Windows 7 doesn't support more than 16GB.

Any idea when Windows 10 will be out and stable? I would prefer Windows 7 right now but it's also about to go under and I want to be able to use my new system for at least a few weeks before the OS is unsupported! :o

My daughter has Windows 8 on her laptop and said it took a while to get used to but it was capable of running older games and the interface could be set up do work the way you want. Yes, I ordered Windows 8.1. I have 16GB RAM but can go to 32GB if I want/need to. Windows 7 doesn't support more than 16GB.

why do you pick that much of a ram? is it for rendering?

An "unsupported OS" means absolutely nothing if it’s your home computer. You’ll just stop getting routine updates. Unless you have routine big risk of hackers, there is little point in worrying about it. A good antivirus should handle most of intruders. Not being a "gullible idiot who clicks on every link" will inshore the rest.

Jumping on Windows 10 as it is being launched next year may be a bad idea, primarily for the risk of your drivers failing for half a year.

• Like! 1

Hi guys good morning... and it is early here :4rofl:

Just wanted to put a quick note here about software, as our TOS for DarkMatters only lets us discuss on the boards legally purchased software, without reference to any items that are pirated

Thanks!

:)

gogo

• Like! 1

Sorry? Everything I've been talking about has been legally purchased through respected vendors. I didn't see anyone else talking about anything pirated. Did you remove a post I didn't catch?

Well, I put everything I had together (only lacking the internal optical drive), hooked it all up, turn on the power, and ... nothing! :(

There is a small light on the MB that flickers and goes out and the power button lights up. Other than that there is no indication that anything is even thinking about waking up. Guess I get to call the vendor Monday to see if they have any ideas what may have gone wrong.

This is the first SATA only system that I've ever built, so I was extra careful to make sure that I paid attention to how everything was supposed to connect. I even read the installation instructions which I never before needed to do. I'm sure it's got to be something really simple and stupid. If it was one of my older systems though, I would say that something was wrong with the motherboard.

Did you remove a post I didn't catch?

Yes.

Sounds like when I built my current PC. Lights were on but nobody was home. In my case, there was another power input on the motherboard I overlooked.

• Like! 1