Well, I finally did it ...

Spock

I've been doing some searches last night about the problems I had with DA: I and it turned out that despite seeing other things, my Gfx-card is the problem after all.

Found a site called Systemrequirementlab, where I was able to run some tests to see if a game is able to run at my system.

Turned out my Gfx-card (an AMD Radeon HD 6570) is lacking memory to run the game.

On the plus-side:

I had in mind to upgrade my system by replacing my HDD and perhaps my MB and CPU. Since these are suitable enough to run what I want, I guess having to buy a new Gfx-card isn't that bad. :D

Thorin :)

PS: for those wanting to try to the site; you may have to install their app or update your java before being able to use the test.

Don't say I didn't warn ya. ;)

Edited by Thorin Oakshield
  • Like! 1

Gods dam shaders.... Agian! facepalm.gif Everything else is green for Alien Isolation.

Untitled-2.png

So... This is a novice question...

Are the shaders hardcoded into the graphics card? Or is there a way to update them through driver updates?

It always is worth to give it a try. Even if the pixelshaders aren't updated, some other things might improve instead.

And something else that occured to me; you might be able to play the game when setting the graphics to a lower setting as your usual standard.

• Like! 1

You might be able to play the game when setting the graphics to a lower setting as your usual standard.

That's what I do for any new game. Don't care if the quality drops to Minecraft level - I love seeing polygons and analyzing the tidbits of how they did it.

No.

My problem is this:

Untitled-3.png

"Fatal Error - A graphics card supporting DirectX 11 was not detected."

I get this instantly when I start the game. No way around it. The suggestions on YouTube to trick it with a Windows Kit didn't help. So I accepted my fate - to play the game I need a newer video card.

I'm just enraged that the developers did this before DirectX 12 came out! :bomb:

Thank you for the help, but lets drop this DX11 subject altogether. It's just frustrating and not going anywhere.

I wouldn't know, it was recommended to me by one of the OEM's Techs. Surely they wouldn't lie to me or give me false information just to get me to buy their game would they!?

I wonder if I return the game if I get to keep the video card?

There is no such thing as "overkill". There is only "wasting ammunition".

And in this case it's "wasting money". 862$ might not be cheap, but an overkill videocard will last longer. Maybe it will even last as long as the PC rig.

Whats videogame did you get?

I want to get Far Cry 4 but there is apparently no way to select the game when ordering.

I now find myself needing some help from as many members here who are willing to help with the research. I need an external USB 3.0 or faster Docking Port for one or more harddrives. It should accept both 2.5" and 3.5" drives and also accept IDE, SATA, and anything else they want to throw in. It should run with any windows from XP through 8.1, but must run at least with Windows 7 and 8 as well as Mas OS X.

I want it so I can use some of my older harddrives as hot pluggable backup cartridges for my computers. It would be useful if I could use it to help salvage information off drives for others as well.

I've tried to find exactly what I want but the claims often aren't born out by the reviews.

A couple I've looked at:

Amazon.com Cable Matters:

Pros: Fast, works with all the OS's I want, Plug and play, Hot-Swappable

Cons: Not compatible with IDE drives, single station (dual station costs almost twice as much)

Amazon IDE HDD Docking Station:

Pros: Supports both IDE and SATA drives, OS support

Cons: Not very fast (USB 2.0, only supports up to SATA II)

Amazon Sabrent USB 3.0 to SATA Dual Bay External Hard Drive Docking Station:

Pros: Speed, drive sizes, OS

Cons: No IDE

I looked at many, many more but none I looked at seemed to do everything I wanted, so I thought I would ask for help in here. I looked in other places than Amazon as well but thought I would just give some examples from there so you would know what I'm looking for. Who knows, this may prove useful to a lot of other members as well because it just isn't feasible to use optical media for backup any more. Even using Blu-ray at 25 GB per disk would take more disks and time than I want to think about to back up even only a 2 TB drive! With a docking station I could swap in and out a series of same sized drives used as stand-alone cartridges and have several full backups in case of disaster ... or just stupidity.

There is no such thing as "overkill". There is only "wasting ammunition".

And in this case it's "wasting money". 862$ might not be cheap, but an overkill videocard will last longer. Maybe it will even last as long as the PC rig.

Whats videogame did you get?

well let me give you an example,I bought i7 4790k processor for longer usage but it came up to be way stronger than my imagination.it is a 4 core processor with 4ghz clock speed by default and it can overclock further.

By testing cpu's power realized it is a card for more than edit/render thing than gaming.

Many advisors offer earlier models to save some money for other parts.

As for the gpu there was already a talk about gtx980.

Comparing newegg prices there is ~200$ price difference between 970 and 980 and it is considered to be overkill for the job it does.

Some comments for 970 vs 980

The 970 gives incredible bang for your buck, much more so than the 980. If you don't want to spend $550 on a GPU the 970 is a fantastic choice.

That extra $250 gives you 10-20% more performance, according to benchmarks.

The 970 screams value when looking at the price to performance. Unless money isn't an issue, I advise against having THE top card.

SsMQasf.jpg

it costs 826 here,it is not the actual price.I would start to curse me own country for the additional price nonsense but that is another story

The real thing is In newegg it is 350$ vs 579$ and it is huge price difference only because it is "newer"

• Like! 1

I wouldn't know, it was recommended to me by one of the OEM's Techs. Surely they wouldn't lie to me or give me false information just to get me to buy their game would they!?

I wonder if I return the game if I get to keep the video card?

If you chose to be cocky because your wallet is thick instead of appreciating a friendly non lecturing advise I already waste my time here all along and in your web site as well

Not trying to be cocky, just trying to have a sense of humor which is hard for a Vulcan. I don't really appreciate the implication that I don't care what others in here say. If I didn't value the opinions given in here, why would I bother to ask ... when I ask. In the case of the computer and the video card, I wasn't asking.

I've already ordered the card and it has shipped, so it's too late to stop it from arriving. The 970 does look good comparatively but it is a little slower and the biggest focus for me on this system was speed. Is the extra speed worth the $229 price difference? I won't know until I have a chance to try both cards.

Since I don't envision getting a chance to try both cards, I feel I'm going to have to keep the card that I already purchased ... unless something is wrong with it when it gets here. At that point, I may opt for the less expensive card.

I guess it's my own fault. I did ask for a high-end recommendation, and the 980 is currently the top of the line. Guess it might have paid to do as much research on the card as I did on the system. Remembering how much trouble I've had with the system to get it to even run, I might also be wrong there.

In any case, I appreciate the information about the 970 but it was too late when I posted, so it's definitely too late now.

Well, wether it was a joke or not; Spock is the one who's got to work with that computer, so it's up to him to decide which hardware he's going to use, which OS he's going to use and what he's going to do with the system as well. Not to mention, how long he's going to use it.

One of the things with Windows machines is that the users can choose from a plethora of hardware; while Apple machines in general are all similar. It's one of the reasons why bug-tracking and bug-fixing of games is so difficult. You test a game at 1,000 different machines and here comes user 1,001; having one different piece of hardware and boom! another bug.

So......

...while Spock was looking for advice here, I too have been checking some things; as I had the intention to upgrade my machine as well. However, I'll keep it to a minor upgrade this time, since I'm just going to replace my HDD - and re-install Win7 - with a 4TB HDD which I got for a while now; as well as replacing my Gfx-card - and I've already bought it - with this beast.

When I got it installed, I'll be able to play DA:I for sure. As well as some other games.

And since my MB, CPU and RAM are suitable for my needs, the next planned upgrade would be to upgrade my OS to Win10. Which'll be in a year or two. :)

Edit: corrected some typo's

Edited by Thorin Oakshield
  • 1 month later...

Well, My new system has been up and running now for a while. Unfortunately my old system now fails to boot. I have purchased an external harddrive docking station and am now happily transferring information into my new computer. I also got a second docking station because I want to be able to transfer to/from my supply of IDE drives.

Since I don't have any memory card readers, I got a Rosewill 40-in-1 USB 2.0 3.5" Internal Card Reader to make it easier to transfer images from digital cameras. I still have a lot of digital pictures on floppy disk, so thought an external 3.5" FFD woud be handy, especially since it will also work with my iMac. I expect to get a lot of initial use out of it but then expect it to collect a lot of dust. Too bad my old computer bit the dust. I already had a data sharing cable and could have just connected the two computers together to make a transfer. Apparently the motherboard failed on the old computer. :( What I spent was a lot cheaper than a new motherboard.

How fast is the new system? Before my new video card, I was getting about 4.2 GHz sustained. With the new video card I happened to see a peak of 4.7 GHz and it's capable of driving 3 different monitors at the same time.

• Like! 1