A lightbulb for 20 years ... ?!

This for real?

We just changed kitchen light bulbs from those atrocious mini fluorescent bulbs with the poisonous mercury inside them that were unable to even be thrown out because of the radioactivity in them, and see this note on the package that these LED bulbs, which are not radioactive, will last 20 years at three hours a day...

This a job for mythbusters?

:blink:

gogo

If this hammer breaks in less than 200 years the original buyer with the origical recipe will get a new one ... found this in a tool magazine once ;)

For the LED bulbs, they can get damaged way earlier at bad contacts. I prefer the LED's buildin into a lamp. One reason is bad contacts and another that a bulb was designed for a glowing wire and not for a LED. In our old wooden patchwork house I removed lamps and replaced them by LED bands following the ceiling poles. Better lit out room and our oldest and me didn't have to lower the head when crossing the room with its low ceiling compared to modern times.;)

• Like! 1

Just did a bit of reading about the lightbulb LED, and yeah caught that about the possibility it melting... though only a very small number of them can have this defect?

Gotta say the pricing on these bulbs is just fabulous...we're looking at 7.43 CDN a bulb here in store just saw yesterday

:)

gogo

LED bulbs are the future... over at the nuclear simulator I work at...bulb replacement is a daily occurrence. Just about every alarm has 2 bulbs (for redundancy. Nothing worse than a burnt out bulb. You wouldn't have a visual indication of the alarm) Just for the alarms on the top of the main panels there have to be easily 200-300 alarm lights. And then there is the control rod 'Christmas Tree', a huge array that has at least the same amount. Every Friday I would replace at least 50 bulbs. 50 x 52 weeks and that's over 2500 bulbs a year :o And that's just for those status lights! There are hundreds more on all the equipment. So I'm probably closer to 5000 bulbs per year.

Since we converted the 'Christmas Tree' over last year I think I might have replaced 5-10 so far. The top array will take some engineering. Would have to change out everything from sockets to power supplies.

yup some small 5v bulbs....switching those out was easy as the replacement LED's used the same voltage and socket. The alarm array ones will be a total redesign. Right now they have a trickle voltage. A low voltage that keeps the bulbs continuously lit though too dim to see. Saves wear and tear on bulbs. But if we go with LED's I have to rewire and re-socket all of them.

But I can't do any of that unless the actual control room does it first. I have to mirror every change at nuclear plant. The simulator has to be as an exact a copy of the control room as possible. So I cannot change anything unless they do. If a label is misspelled there, it's misspelled at simulator. Even the type/style of mounting screws must be the same. We are allowed a few deviations since we're a training facility but can only have so many before the NRC starts fining the nuclear plant.

Another reason for me to do all new -lamps and bulbs- was that with LED I can change the settings for the diesel driven emergency power unit with its lead battery backup. With programmable white and multicolour LED bands I can keep every 10th LED lit for some hours. Our power lines run above ground along a forest road and at storm twigs can do short cuts.

Also I can program the lights with a remote control . Watching soccer when the room is dark I do a soft green light for the room. Also there is no longer need for a 220 Volt supply. I can do 5Volt lines which are less likely to burn. The Voltage transformation is no longer in the lamp which was attached to wood but in the wall surrounded by not burnable material.

But I think my case is a bit special because it is a 300 year old wooden patchwork house which was designed before electricity. So all the power lines had to follow the wooden frame of the house.

• Like! 1

Turns out the emplacement in the ceiling we're using is a bit old, and there's some space which is giving a crackling sound when the light's turned off... apparently this happens with this kind of light?

Will have to look for a more current LED light fixture

Crackling sound is a little nerve wracking

:blink:

gogo

Without actually being there and hearing it.....it sounds a lot like 60hz arcing between fixture and bulb....not good :o

I would seriously turn it off and keep it off until you can have someone check it out. Sounds like old socket is 'cooked'. Which means contacts are old, worn and/or tarnished so new bulb is not making a good connection to the socket. It is a fire hazard - definitely get it checked out ASAP

Edit: Just re-read your post and you say this is happening with the light off? Got to be some stray voltage in there. So it sounds like the socket is still somewhat energized even in the off position. I would remove light and call an electrician.

• Like! 1

Oh fireworks! :wow: *recalls gogo episode - "Stolen Sweet Potato & the Microwave Inferno" ...

Thanx for the heads up Knuckles. That sounds a little too risky for me with the poss. of arcing. It's a 3 bulb fixture and I'm pretty sure one is bad. The socket isn't secure so it twists and turns when trying to take a bulb out or put one in. The loose socket has been empty for the longest time and only since getting these LED's has it been back in use. I guess I'll take that bulb out and see if it stops the crackling. Time to get a new fixture me thinks!

• Like! 1

hmm my comp need some cool blueish led lights (argh I am too old for that stuff), anyway Helou all or mebbe I should say

BOO! :)

So when are you guys going to play Age of Conan with me and bhj ? It has swords, knifes and all the yummie red things that comes out when u slice and dice :)

--Yaga

Edited by Yaga
  • Like! 1

Hey hey!

Oh yeah we are still hooked on age of conan, its getting abit old now though, using dx 9 and stuff. But its a very nice and complex game :)

Too be honest I kinda made another ogame account, u know, JUST for building stuff honesly hehe ;)

To my big surpirise my old account was still there in vmode! And even bigger.. alot of the known people were also there! How hooked can one become. But anyway, like I said, I am just building *whistles*

But I guess u guys are playing sacred still or?

--Yaga

There's a light bulb made originally by Westinghouse that's been burning for - get this - over 100 years now.

It even has it's own website... It seems that bulb thus far has outlasted no less than 3 web cams and one UPS....

Things that make you go "hmmm"

I mean they could make a light bulb that lasts 100+ years, meanwhile they sell us craptastic bulbs that drop dead after a few thousand hours. Of course a light bulb that lasts 100+ years wouldn't make Westinghouse, (or anyone else) much in the way of money...