Many years ago, the guitarist for Guns N Roses split off and formed his own band, Slash's Snakepit. Early in that band's career, they were going to do a gig at a Hollywood club (I think it was the Whisky, but I'm not 100%. There were a number of rock clubs, with the Whisky being perhaps the most well known, but all of them could get some pretty good names at the time) and my friend Melanie wanted to go check them out.

We brought along some other friends and drove to Hollywood and even got lucky enough to find street parking that wasn't totally horrible. There were 5 of us, 2 guys and 3 girls.

Needless to say, the line for getting in was absolutely huge. We expected that, though, so we just got in and waited. Despite the length of the line, it moved along pretty regularly. Almost decent street parking and a line that didn't keep us in limbo for eternity? This was going much better than we could have hoped.

Those hopes were dashed upon getting to the window. They didn't want to let me and the other guy with us in. They only wanted to let in the girls. While this attitude was not surprising, they did not reckon with the obstinate stubborness that Melanie could conjure up. She was simply not the type to go into that club without all of the group, and she didn't come out all this way and wait in line to be turned away, either. She could be tough as nails, and I always adored that about her. I saw her jaw set in that particular way that told me she was prepared to dig in and keep the rest of the line waiting all week if she had to.

I took that opportunity to step away and go have a cigarette. I walked across a driveway and leaned against a wall and just sort of looked at the line behind with a mixture of amusement and pity. As I reached into my pocket for my pack, I realized that I was out of cigarettes. I was about to go back to the line and get one from Melanie when a car and a limo pulled up and people began to get very excited when Slash got out of the car with a very pretty blonde and some other people. The people in line started to edge closer, but a couple of the larger guys accompanying Slash waved them back.

I stayed where I was. He was walking up the driveway to the back entrance to the club and it was going to take him right by me. No, it wasn't being star-struck, I'd lived in Los Angeles my whole life at that point; it was the fact that I was absolutely certain that he'd have a cigarette.

As he walked by I called out to him. "Hey, Slash. Do you have a smoke?" I must have sounded very casual, or it was just instinct, but he stopped and pulled out his pack and handed me one. We made some chit-chat while he got out his lighter to light it for me. He asked if I was going to see his show and I cracked a joke about the situation we were in, but saying we were pretty determined. He laughed and that was pretty much it.

Nothing big, just the small talk people usually engage in to pass those momentary meetings. As he headed on I called out to thank him for the smoke and he called back something to the effect of "I'll see you at the show". Since I was just in the conversation with him, I knew it was just him referencing that he just figured I'd get inside wtih my friends and watch him perform, not that we were going to be hanging out or anything.

But the guy at the window had no idea of the context. He thought I knew Slash, so not only did he let me and my friends in, we didn't have to pay either.

Good parking, easy line wait and a free show. Sometimes even good things can come in threes.

• Like! 1

It's things like this, which keep me going to visit some blues-concerts from September to March.

Just listening to good music, being able to talk to the band-members about their songs, their influences and the things I like; to try to get a CD (and / or T-shirt) of the performing artist and getting it autographed; it's all worth it.

Most of the artist perfoming can make a living out of their shows, some happen to break through. I've seen two bands who'd performed at the club, did another gig in another village, then went across the ocean to perform at some clubs there and got their breakthrough.

Knowing you've seen that band, having talked to them and having their autograph before they were famous is priceless.

So, cherish that moment you were able to talk to Slash; as it tells a lot about you, but also a lot about him.

Thorin :)

It was a fun time, and that is definitely the funniest celeb story I have. I think of all the people I've met, the one that really got me happy was running across Sergio Aragones at the SDCC many years back. He was heading to some thing he was doing and I was walking along carrying The Life of Groo which I had just bought there and he noticed me holding this book that he had done and stopped to talk to me.

I don't know how well known he is overall, but he was always one of my favorite cartoonists, so just having a minute to chat with him was completely awesome.