First time in for phone repair

And soooooo... for my first smart phone ever, my nexus 5 jumped up out of my pocket while jogging, up into the air, somersaulted, while then hitting the concrete with a hard resounding smackathudd

wail, cry, more wailing, the pain of a heart break, then the decision to actually get it repaired at a ubreak I fix

207 dollars, but they say the screen will be beautiful and I won't be even to detect that a repair was made

Guy at the store asked me to leave the phone "on" for them to test...as this was the first time I ever left the phone with someone else, I was befudlled, flustered and just left it on for the few hours.

Curious though as to this as request... and this got me to thinking... for an Android phone, I guess the only thing that I'm really worried about is my Email access... I'm just curious though...is there any way at all to log out of my Gmail from my phone itself?

:blink:

gogo

Can you log in though your regular PC? That could relocate you.

Another thing you could try, is stopping the Gmail app manually.

Or you could feed it another temporary expendable account

I just got the phone back now, came in from the annual montreal zombie walk (no I ain't a zombie ! :D)

Phone's good, but because I wasn't able to figger out quickly how to log off gmail, I did feel kinda security exposed.

Thanks Sfx for the ideas...I just had a chance to look it up now, and it seems like there isn't actually any way to log out of Gmail from your Android!!

:oooo:

gogo

I just got the phone back now, came in from the annual montreal zombie walk (no I ain't a zombie ! :D)

Phone's good, but because I wasn't able to figger out quickly how to log off gmail, I did feel kinda security exposed.

Thanks Sfx for the ideas...I just had a chance to look it up now, and it seems like there isn't actually any way to log out of Gmail from your Android!

gogo

No way to log out? Sheesh, I'd be too paranoid to send it in anywhere. Glad it's working again for you, though. I keep my phone in those Otter cases which seem to be pretty good. There's been occasions where I dropped my phone, but the casing seems VERY good at absorbing shock and protecting the phone.

Thanks Sfx for the ideas...I just had a chance to look it up now, and it seems like there isn't actually any way to log out of Gmail from your Android!

gogo

No way to log out? Sheesh, I'd be too paranoid to send it in anywhere. Glad it's working again for you, though. I keep my phone in those Otter cases which seem to be pretty good. There's been occasions where I dropped my phone, but the casing seems VERY good at absorbing shock and protecting the phone.

What kind of phone are you using miquin?

:)

Gogo

I have a Samsung Galaxy S4. So, yeah, it's extremely thin, so I figured it was important to get something to give it a little protection. I think the Otterbox products are pretty good. I've had my phone in those and it does not interfere with it's functions at all...just gives it a lot of armor and hitpoints, more than anything.

• Like! 1

Wow gogo, I have never broken a phone yet and I have had my phone hundreds of feet in the air...though my daughter has broken 3 so far...and 2 digital cameras...both within an hour or 2 of lending it to her...needless to say she cannot touch them now (just kidding, she broke them both when she was much younger...one dropped in the ocean, one dropped down the stairs)

I have 4 email accounts :)

1 strictly for work

1 strictly for bills, payments

1 for websites I visit regularly like here

1 for one-time registrations to places I probably won't visit again...basically accept the one-time verification email then block sender after that.

• Like! 1

I have a Samsung Galaxy S4. So, yeah, it's extremely thin, so I figured it was important to get something to give it a little protection. I think the Otterbox products are pretty good. I've had my phone in those and it does not interfere with it's functions at all...just gives it a lot of armor and hitpoints, more than anything.

Great phone! Still holds it's own, and yeah heard nothing but great things about the Otterbox line... they're big though, that would be my only critique... I think for me in future, I'm going to run my headphone wire down under my sweater to make sure there's no chance for my hands to dislodge it and yank out the phone next time... lesson learned, but an expensive one

gogo

You might want to consider opening another email account not on Gmail, for secure private emails.

SX, I just did some more research, and yah, it's impossible for us to "log out" gmail on an android phone, however, at least on the latest kit kat, we're able to dis associate the email from the phone relatively easy, though we do have to drill down to find the settings...

Wish they gave the switch to do this more prominence...as this is all coming from the need to "hand off" the phone quickly to someone else.

:blink:

gogo

Wow gogo, I have never broken a phone yet and I have had my phone hundreds of feet in the air...though my daughter has broken 3 so far...and 2 digital cameras...both within an hour or 2 of lending it to her...needless to say she cannot touch them now (just kidding, she broke them both when she was much younger...one dropped in the ocean, one dropped down the stairs)

I have 4 email accounts :)

1 strictly for work

1 strictly for bills, payments

1 for websites I visit regularly like here

1 for one-time registrations to places I probably won't visit again...basically accept the one-time verification email then block sender after that.

4 mails?

ha, Knuckles, I think I'd definitely get that mixed up :4rofl: Just one password for me is almost too much... You must have an insane memory to keep that kind of level of security constantly running in head... yeah you and your success with phones at hundreds of feet in the air ...show off!

:4rofl:

gogo

Actually I have ALL my passwords and logins stored on a thumb drive....which is always with me (it's on my key chain) so I never have to worry about remembering them and never have to worry about them getting stolen :P

• Like! 1

I have all my 12+ passwords in a fireproof tresor and in my brain. I keep emails for private, bank, close friends only, different clubs I am in a leading positionm work ... apart. So if I am ill or away from home for a while giving the password to a replacement person is no big problem.

My phone is luckly very robust since I need one with a PNA. PNA is the german norm for phones for lonely outdoor workers: dead man function = automatic call for emergency if no movement for a while, impact triggered call, and some more automatic functions. The speakers do up to 105 decibel, so you hear the ring even when working with a chainsaw. 2 metres below water surface for an hour, 2 metres free fall on concrete, falling in a pot with boiling water or in a mud pit with ice water, ...

My insurance wants me to have such a beast. But I have tio admit it is a bit strange when I use it at a business meeting with big money people who never worked outside ;)

Our oldest daughter is happy with her John's. She owned the pink one for 2 years now. She got the black variant from her boy friend. It looks more ladylike at parties. The phone is so simple that she saves hours each day by not using any app, sms, email, ...

product_sweet.jpg

product_business.jpg

• Like! 1

For the record, I'm using a Samsung S4 as well and I'm able to remove my g-mail account from it. However, when doing so, I also delete all the emails and things related to it - like other contacts etc - so it's something you really need to think through before doing so.

On the other hand; usually you get everything back the moment you use the same account again to sign in.

Thorin :)

• Like! 1

Actually I have ALL my passwords and logins stored on a thumb drive....which is always with me (it's on my key chain) so I never have to worry about remembering them and never have to worry about them getting stolen :P

Ahh, thumb drive...is that passworded as well?

:)

gogo

I have all my 12+ passwords in a fireproof tresor and in my brain. I keep emails for private, bank, close friends only, different clubs I am in a leading positionm work ... apart. So if I am ill or away from home for a while giving the password to a replacement person is no big problem.

My phone is luckly very robust since I need one with a PNA. PNA is the german norm for phones for lonely outdoor workers: dead man function = automatic call for emergency if no movement for a while, impact triggered call, and some more automatic functions. The speakers do up to 105 decibel, so you hear the ring even when working with a chainsaw. 2 metres below water surface for an hour, 2 metres free fall on concrete, falling in a pot with boiling water or in a mud pit with ice water, ...

My insurance wants me to have such a beast. But I have tio admit it is a bit strange when I use it at a business meeting with big money people who never worked outside ;)

Our oldest daughter is happy with her John's. She owned the pink one for 2 years now. She got the black variant from her boy friend. It looks more ladylike at parties. The phone is so simple that she saves hours each day by not using any app, sms, email, ...

product_sweet.jpg

product_business.jpg

lol, I remember when you first posted about the John's phones here. I actually looked them up, and loved the idea. Simple, austere and it's own niche. The gold one was beautiful. I have, however, fallen for the addiction of a large data screen and all it's eye candy ...

aieeeeeeeeeeeeee

gogo

For the record, I'm using a Samsung S4 as well and I'm able to remove my g-mail account from it. However, when doing so, I also delete all the emails and things related to it - like other contacts etc - so it's something you really need to think through before doing so.

On the other hand; usually you get everything back the moment you use the same account again to sign in.

Thorin :)

Yah, I saw about the disassociation ...that this is not something that can just be switched easily on and off... I actually did a bit of research on the new Android OS coming up...lollipop...and it's goint go have Guest log in privileges!

:bounce:

gogo