I've never really ranted here before (if memory serves), I hope I've earned one in the year or so I've been here. I've had the worst stinking year. I won't go into details, let's just say it's been bad, it almost rivals my accident in the military. I'm not a "Oh, woe is me!" type of guy, I'm only bringing that up to give extra emphasis to the fact that I had a stroke of luck so bodacious that it was almost a godsend. A few weeks ago, I was doing a little Pro Bono appraisal work for an estate sale. A gemologist and his wife who live up the street from me had gone to bed and just never woke up. They were found in each others' arms, like that one movie..... Notebook I think it was called. This couple had no living relatives, hence estate sale. So, I decided to work for free, just as an act of kindness. On top of that, I didn't see anything spectacular there; mostly quartz , jasper, and agate. During the sale, someone discovered one of those five gallon white buckets full of what looked like just a bunch of broken junk, like Calcite and Pyrite. I went through almost all of the bucket ( it was the middle of the auction, I kind of had to move fast) and found nothing of real value. The bucket didn't sell, just like the last story I told, and the auctioneer let me keep the bucket, just like last time. Just like last time, the auctioneer told me "I trust that you did the best you could, if you missed something, consider it a stroke of good luck". And good lord, did I find a stroke of exceptional good luck. I thought I was on something like being on "Candid Camera", because you just don't find what I found: several pieces of Jeremejevite.

Jeremejevite is so stinking rare that I've never actually seen it beyond a few pictures. In fact, I thought it was just quartz that someone had taken one end and dipped it in sky blue dye. It wasn't until I had done some testing and made a lot of phone calls that I realized I had in my possession five of the rarest, most expensive gemstones on the planet. All five of them were bicolor as I described; four of them were blue and white and one of them was green and white. Man, did I have plans! The estate sale proceeds all went to a Catholic church, as per the will, so I was going to sell two of them and give them to the church. One of them were going to go to a museum, one of them was going to stay with me, and one of them was going to my better half. That was the one I was most excited about. She is such a sweet woman, gives so selflessly, and has stood by me through all of this crap; I was so excited to do something nice for her. I was going to have it woven in a necklace for her, like how you see those little quartz chakra necklaces.

Last night, I had a pre-Halloween party for all of my closest friends. Now these are dudes I trusted my life with, that I've known for a good decade or so. You can probably tell where this is going. I hid these five little gemstones, since I no longer have a safe (sold it to my brother so he could keep some of his more expensive guns safe). But the gems were very well hidden, in a part of the house no one goes in. And they're gone. These guys weren't just some group of goobers I picked off the street, these were my boys, man. I'm really disgusted, which is why I'm still up at 0540. Of course no one last night saw anything or knows anything. I'm........ really at a loss for words right now

Edited by Gilberticus

Yeah. 2014 is a horrible year. I have issues with it that will shape the rest of my life.

As for your horror movie of a life, I see 3 scenarios:

Someone knew about this hiding spot before hand.

Someone accidently stumbled over your hiding spot (it might even been mistaken for something else or some trash).

Your hiding spot got compromised by itself (fallen over behind the cupboard or something).

Is this a new hiding spot?

Did you put them in a container of some sort? Did you find the container? Could they or the container have been mistaken for something else during a drunken stupor? Could one of your gests eat or drink them by accident?

Ask the wife.

Check the trash.