[Dev] Diablo 2 Fallen mod for Sacred 2

Flix

• 2 weeks later...

I've decided to add another feature to D2F: reducing the fog of war on the screen (as described in this topic).

I removed as much fog as possible before the game starts to look weird. Keep in mind there is no proper sky in this game, what you see as the sky is actually the fog, so removing it entirely means there's just a black void beyond what the game renders.

You'll get the most benefit if you tend to position the camera looking over your character's shoulder, but there's also a benefit if you're zoomed out extremely far looking down on your character.

Here some samples of how this change appears:

RVbpXKX.jpg

XKHyuVf.jpg

DSY2Fgk.jpg

Always wondered about that sky... is there any reason why they didn't just give it a blue color? I remember running the game the first time on my computer upon release, and feeling so claustrophobic there being no sky.

:blink:

gogo

Always wondered about that sky... is there any reason why they didn't just give it a blue color? I remember running the game the first time on my computer upon release, and feeling so claustrophobic there being no sky.

:blink:

gogo

Well, it changes color throughout the day. Yellow/orange at dawn/dusk, kind of blue-grey during the day and then black at night. So I guess it had to be a neutral color. The main reason though is that the fog disguises the fact that the game only renders things a certain distance away. Without the fog at all (and just the sky), the entire world would seemingly pop into existence out of nowhere. The fog hides that fact. That's why I could only remove a little bit of it. Still, it should open things up for players a good bit.

I guess they figured most people would be playing Sacred 2 with a top-down camera view. There was no sky in Sacred 1, since the camera was never at angle that would let you see it. Despite being a 3D game, Sacred 2's default camera was actually pretty similar.

• Like! 1

Ask Cisa from Unbended Team ;)

Is these mod also in german?

No, sorry it's not translated to German yet. I would need a volunteer to translate the mod. There are MANY changes to the text so it would require a lot of time and effort. , the mod is not complete yet, only in Beta status, so the text is not finalized. When the mod is mostly complete I will send out a call for translators.

Edited by FrankRentmeister
  • Like! 1

I love the effort you are going to in order to recreate Diablo 2 as best you can. It's alomst tempting me away from Diablo 3 back to sacred just to try this... Not sure if I still have the discs with the game anymore though...

• Like! 1

I really appreciate the feedback and support. :) There's just so much to test, I'm not surprised some things slipped by me.

I'll look into it and see if I can fix it. Buff effects that fizzle out are usually due to a "duration" parameter that shouldn't be there.

• Like! 1

...I was trying out a 200 level Barbarian and I found some Combat Art bugs...

Ok I looked into everything you mentioned and luckily I was able to fix it all.

Battle Orders

"War Song" modification now works. Changed so that it only increases weapon damage (it was the only solution).

"Implacable" modification now works and doesn't deactivate after casting.

This CA and its "Fortify" modification now give hitpoint regeneration instead of max hitpoints. This change was based on previous feedback where the CA was causing party members to be unable to heal.

Natural Resistance

"Fortitude" mod now increases the Barbarian's max hitpoints instead of giving hp regen. I swapped in this modifier since it's not a party buff.

Iron Skin

Base Defense Value and Block Chance: Projectiles modifiers now work and don't deactivate shortly after casting.

Edited by Flix
  • Like! 1

Release coming in ~1 week or less. Right now I'm trying to get a good draft of the Druid class quest finished for the release. Quest writing takes longer than I expected, so the other characters will have to wait until future releases.

Relatively new to modding Sacred 2 (community patch was about the only thing I ever bothered with before), and only recently got back into it after getting an ARPG bug up my bum a few days ago (for contrast, I haven't played Sacred 2 otherwise in about 3 years.) Will releases of this mod be backward-compatible, or will I have to start new characters each time? I suppose it isn't that big a deal, as I anticipate playing through at least once with each class, but having not previously been one to sit here eagerly awaiting each release, I don't know what it's like whenever you make a new release.

And as a side note, I shared this with the Sacred 2 Steam forums, got a few positive responses. I didn't even know it was possible to mod Sacred 2, let alone to this extent. As I said to the guys there, you don't even have to be a Diablo 2 fan -- the fact that you completely revamped the CA trees makes it like playing with a completely different set of characters.

Keep up the good work, man, and I look forward to seeing what else comes our way.

Thanks man. I appreciate the interest and praise, and especially for spreading the word. If I had a Steam account, I would be publishing my mods there too. As it is, I only have a GOG account, so I maintain a mod list there (and on SacredWiki). If you want to copy over that list or a link onto the Steam forums I'm sure players would appreciate it. I put Enhanced Spells on ModDB but it got rejected with no explanation, so I gave up on using that site for publicity.

Regarding backwards compatibility, I don't foresee any problems. The only possible thing may involve quests, IF I change any to a sufficient extent. Basically, let's say you're in the middle of a chain quest, and I rearrange it, adding or removing quest phases, it may break the chain (for that character only, and only on that difficulty level).

That MAY be an issue in the future, but for the upcoming release, there's no such quest editing going on. So if you have the current release, you should be able to plow on ahead if you get the next release in about a week. I'm the type of modder to always post if there will be any issues when updating to a new version.

Thanks man. I appreciate the interest and praise, and especially for spreading the word. If I had a Steam account, I would be publishing my mods there too. As it is, I only have a GOG account, so I maintain a mod list there (and on SacredWiki). If you want to copy over that list or a link onto the Steam forums I'm sure players would appreciate it. I put Enhanced Spells on ModDB but it got rejected with no explanation, so I gave up on using that site for publicity.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/225640/discussions/0/617330406653743088/

Okay, I'm done trying to hotlink it.

Edited by Dragon Brother
  • Like! 1

http://steamcommunity.com/app/225640/discussions/0/617330406653743088/

Okay, I'm done trying to hotlink it.

Fixed for you Kyle :)

Awesome work on the new gear and portaits pelts Flix and SilverFox! It's these tiny details which really bring the mod to life.

• Like! 1