[Dev] Diablo 2 Fallen mod for Sacred 2

Flix

No clue who or what Imperius is. If it's from Diablo 3, I didn't play it past the demo. The only things from D3 in this mod are a few icons I borrowed.

I remember Tyrael from Diablo 2 though. There was a ticket on the Cm Patch bugtracker trying to get Tyrael armor made for someone (Inquisitor maybe). It never got past planning stages though. As for this mod, no plans for it now.

• Like! 1

I think, even though it's based on an extant High Elf buff (never played one through in vanilla, so this is based on Wiki research), that Warmth is just too good. There is precisely zero downsides, unless you don't know how overeating runes penalizes CAs.

Again, I know it's based on something HE has, AND that in D2 itself it was also a no-brainier, but with Sacred 2's skill system, it kind of railroads using the Fire Aspect (as you'll be cranking points into Lore to level up Warmth), especially since Fire Wall is similarly an almost broken skill, if you want to play as a spell-spamming caster (and that's why people typically play Mage/wizard/sorc/warlock classes in RPGs, right?)

That's just my pair of pennies, though.

Edited by angrytigerp

...specially since Fire Wall is similarly an almost broken skill...

Too powerful? I've been keeping my eyes peeled for any reports about this CA. I didn't how it would be received, since it's unlike anything in the game (I found it deactivated in the scripts and with no real numbers to go on, I had to guess what would be appropriate). Is it the range (too great?), the amount of raw damage inflicted, the frequency of damage pulses? I'd like to cut it down to size if possible.

The downside of Warmth is precisely what you describe: if you want to take it, you may have to make sacrifices (giving up a different buff, taking Fire focus or lore skill in place of another skill, etc.), particularly if you're don't want to have anything to do with the Fire Spells aspect. But it's not neccessary to have Warmth, just as it's not neccessary to have Grand Invigoration. There are a multitude of ways to cut regeneration time down to absurdly low levels. I found using all methods + Grand Invigoration actually got regen down so low it was pointless: 0.1s regen on Fireball is not any better than 0.4s, when considering you can't cast Fireballs that fast anyway, even if you just lay on the right mouse button.

• Like! 1

...specially since Fire Wall is similarly an almost broken skill...

Too powerful? I've been keeping my eyes peeled for any reports about this CA. I didn't how it would be received, since it's unlike anything in the game (I found it deactivated in the scripts and with no real numbers to go on, I had to guess what would be appropriate). Is it the range (too great?), the amount of raw damage inflicted, the frequency of damage pulses? I'd like to cut it down to size if possible.

The downside of Warmth is precisely what you describe: if you want to take it, you may have to make sacrifices (giving up a different buff, taking Fire focus or lore skill in place of another skill, etc.), particularly if you're don't want to have anything to do with the Fire Spells aspect. But it's not neccessary to have Warmth, just as it's not neccessary to have Grand Invigoration. There are a multitude of ways to cut regeneration time down to absurdly low levels. I found using all methods + Grand Invigoration actually got regen down so low it was pointless: 0.1s regen on Fireball is not any better than 0.4s, when considering you can't cast Fireballs that fast anyway, even if you just lay on the right mouse button.

With regards to Fire Wall, its effects are just broken. Compare to Fire Ball, which is single target (unless you specifically choose the mods giving it its small Area of Effect), which while admittedly quite fast to regen and cast, requires too much micro except vs bosses/mini bosses.... In which case, a Fire Wall cast on the boss while you Enchant your weapon and just whack at it does, at least apparently, more DPS, with you refreshing FW every time it regens. And unless my eyes deceive me, Inferno is only single-target, unless you choose the relevant mod... I've definitely cast it at a string of mobs following me an NOT hurt everything in the line.

I suppose as far as FW is concerned, a more-quickly stacking regen time might help, because as it stands it is effective in virtually every situation with the exception of (sometimes) boss fights. But even then, one's weapon probably will have procs that make you want to use it, rather than (as you would have to with inferno and FB) pretty much doing nothing but casting. FW's duration and regen, especially with Warmth, means you can literally keep it up the whole fight, even IF you use other spells in the meantime. With mods like the one that slows down enemies... It's just a free DPS method with no apparent drawbacks.

Its biggest offense is ruining any battle with multiple NPCs, as I can just run into a mob, cast FW at my feet, then count on both Warmth and Energy Shield to keep me alive as I watch everything burn around me. Granted, this is true with any Area of Effect, but consider another Area of Effect in the Sorc's arsenal, Blizzard... Good damage in an area, but ONLY when it manages to hit targets. FW just makes an indiscriminate circle of death that equally applies its decent DPS to everything that enters, and with the slowdown mod can be used to kite mobs, with them chasing you... Right into another FW that you cast because of its aforementioned OP regen.

Edited by angrytigerp
  • Like! 1

With regards to Fire Wall...

Luckily that's all easily fixed. It's just a matter of balancing the aspect. So thanks for that. I expected a good deal more feedback along these lines overall, but very few people have weighed in on how the spells play. The best I got so far was complaints about Whirlwind's fx and someone saying "Sorceress is way OP, but I won't tell you how." I mean, really...

I should also say in regards to my own tests, I tended to test at very low level (levels 1-10) and very high levels (levels 150 and above). That's one reason I made a beta release. There's just too much for one person to get perfectly fine-tuned on his own.

After some thought, I've decided to add in the current version of the Elite Mounts project into this mod. This includes only the completed mounts, which are the Dragon for the Sorceress, and the Monowheel for the Assassin.

Is it balanced to have super powerful mounts available to only two characters, without a prerequisite quest before allowing purchase of the mounts? Nope. But it's what's completed at this time. And people have been waiting a long time to play with these mounts, and it is after all a game. I want people to have fun.

Just give me a couple extra days to make sure it's all working and I'll package everything into the next release.

• Like! 1

After some thought, I've decided to add in the current version of the Elite Mounts project into this mod. This includes only the completed mounts, which are the Dragon for the Sorceress, and the Monowheel for the Assassin.

How fortunate. My current toon is a Sorc, and I was eying an Assasin run next game.

Would this be among those changes (that I asked about previously) that would break saves? Or will it be possible for you to 'inject' the quest into an extant save file?

Final Update before v0.2 Beta release: Inferno Edition + attributes and other misc features

jzb3yjQ.jpg

Starting with the upcoming release, all future version of Diablo 2 Fallen will come with an optional "Inferno Patch" that can be installed on top of the main mod to drastically increase difficulty.

I tried (and am still trying ) to balance the main D2F mod for the best possible mix of challenge and fun. However, many players want to push their characters to the absolute limits. The Inferno patch is for them.

Features:

• Critical hit damage increased from 1.2 to 2.0 times damage.
  • 20% increase of T-Energy damage against the player.
  • Chance for T-Energy to mutate enemies increased to 75%.
  • Enemy aggro range tripled.
  • Aggro range for white (much lower level than player) enemies doubled.
  • Boss aggro range increased by about 10%.
  • No more damage downscaling for NPC's (they will inflict full damage on each other).
  • Range for clearing the fog of war on the map is tripled (results in more enemies, and remember they will see you sooner).
  • Cooldown for healing potions is doubled.
  • Potions have much lower durations
  • Slightly lower chance to get runes.
  • Enemies gain greater weapon and spell damage from attributes (2x).
  • Overall intensity of enemies increased by 75%.
  • Enemy weapon damage, spell damage, and armor significantly increased (from about 40% on Easy to over 300% on Hell difficulty).

Many of these features also exist in the standard D2F mod (the Survival Mod is essentially integrated with D2F), but with less extreme values than Inferno. So with or without the Inferno patch, the overall difficulty is still greater than vanilla Sacred 2.

If you play with the Inferno patch, it's recommended to start in Easy difficulty. Walking around with no armor in Normal difficulty can get you killed by single critical hit, even in the starting areas.

Installation: to install, simpy install the main D2F mod as usual (with the Generic Mod Enabler), then install the Inferno Edition on top of it in the same way. Uninstall in reverse order.

================================================

Attributes

D2F features the same familiar 6 attributes. Same names, same functions. However, there are changes, both cosmetic and mechanical.

Ymzl3ND.jpg

Visually, there are new icons, and better tooltips with more information (for example, what weapon types are affected by that attribute).

x9uzeVo.jpg

Mechanically, I was able to increase the effect that attributes have on weapon damage. I know with Ice & Blood, many players stopped using attributes to boost weapon damage, because they had been nerfed so severely that there was little point to them.

I've doubled the effect of attributes on weapon damage, and increased the effect of Intelligence on spell damage by about 25%. This should add more value to attribute points, gear, and also Combat Arts that boost attributes.

=======================================================

Horse Combat Arts

RxpigDP.png Leap now has a scaling 50% chance to break roots, and will slow movement speed of enemies at the starting location.

2IBFgGy.png Charge now buffs the rider with defense, damage mitigation, and light healing during the charge. The charge damage also scales better and can hurl enemies away.

ceWzGcW.png Rear Up now has better damage scaling and can hurl enemies away. It also now has a scaling 40% chance for bleeding damage.

I'm still looking into resolving the old bug that prevents Run Speed % bonuses on horses from functioning.

Combos

These are the new combo icons. No real changes to how combos function.

AQChEuu.jpg

Edited by Flix
  • Like! 1

New Release: Diablo 2 Fallen v0.2 Beta [OBSOLETE]

Please read the following!

• Install with the Generic Mod Enabler just as with all of my Sacred 2 mods. Download is about 400MB, unpacked it's around 850MB, so you will need at least that much free HD space.
  • My recommendation is not to have any other mods installed if you're going to play D2F. None. This is a huge mod and compatibility is very limited. Item Mod 1.2a hf is included, and custom versions of the Survival Mod and Serious Textures mod are also integrated.
  • Music is not included. The music pack is a separate download available HERE. But you don't need to download it again if you already have it.
  • My recommedation is to set "commentary" to OFF. The characters will still speak at certain times (inventory full, accept/reject/solve quest, find unique, etc.), and all of those instances have been replaced with D2 character voices. If you don't turn commentary off you will hear a weird mix of vanilla and D2F character voices.
  • The fonts needed for the interface are located in the "pak/fonts" directory of the mod. They are three .ttf files. Double click them to install them on your system.

Detailed Install Instructions (New Users):

• Download the Generic Mod Enabler (GME) and install it to your Sacred 2 root folder (the folder where Sacred 2 is installed).
  • After running the GME once, it will make a folder called "MODS" there.
  • Extract the contents of the D2F .rar file into the "MODS" folder. There should be two folders: "Diablo 2 Fallen Beta 0.2" and "D2F Inferno Patch".
  • If using the D2F music pack, extract its contents ("music" folder) into the "pak" folder of the mod. So the structure will look like: [Diablo 2 Fallen Beta 0.2/pak/music].
  • Run the GME and enable Diablo 2 Fallen Beta 0.2. The GME will back up your clean files and will allow to you to easily enable/disable the mod as you wish.
  • -Optional - "Inferno Edition" patch should be enabled after enabling the main mod. Disable it before disabling the main mod.
  • The fonts needed for the interface are located in the "pak/fonts" directory of the mod. They are three .ttf files. Double click them to install them on your system.
  • Play with new characters only.

Previous Users:

• Disable the old version of D2F with the GME (important!)
  • Remove the old D2F folder from your "MODS" folder.
  • Place the new "Diablo 2 Fallen Beta 0.2" folder into the "MODS" folder. Enable as usual.
  • -Optional - "Inferno Edition" patch should be enabled after enabling the main mod. Disable it before disabling the main mod.
  • You can continue playing with characters started under previous versions of D2F.
Edited by Flix
  • Like! 1

Can you make a autoupdater instead of releasing the packs of the mod, A little help from the community for a update server could make this happen.

Offtopic: I am realy looking desperatly for someone to play this mod with, the more the better. I would setup a teamspeak server in the meantime, will post the details over here.

As a side note, is it possible to create new zones ? LIke new map places , something along the ice and blood islands.

Edited by AngelShade
  • Like! 1

Do you plan to import monster models? The cats from act 2 have nothing similar in Sacred 2.

No plans, more like wishful thinking at this point. Maybe someday.

• Like! 1

• No Blessed Hammer? Whyyyyyyyyyyyy? If you think you can help me build Blessed Hammer into Sacred 2 you are more than welcome to join me and I'll add it to the lineup.

Not sure if it has been suggested before, but instead of making a swirling circle of damaging hammers for the paladin, like D2 Blessed hammer, you could go for a single blow from an ethereal weapon, inspired to the concept.

The SW's ghosthand spell could fit for that purpose, expecially if you change the glow from green to blue, fitting the holy/celestial style of the paladin.

Just a small suggestion, pls don't hit me for my blasphemy!

I love this idea actually, and I would do it if I could. But sadly I can't find anything to edit. No models, no textures, no fx, no entries in the scripts. It's like it doesn't exist, at least not as a separate entity that I could change. I'll keep a look out for it though.

Hello,

I allow myself to post your topic to tell you that your mod is incredible .

It's almost a new game now and I congratulate you for your work honestly because the classe are just perfect ( I play the necromancien and druide ).

I remain amazed by your work on this mod !

I wanted to know if it was a bug because when we launched the Armageddon spell druid ground shakes and it's hard to attack or talk to a NPC or monster ?

( I'm french and I have a can of trouble writting your language ;-)

Thank you for playing the mod and coming here to talk about it. This is only the beginning, there are many changes planned for the mod.

I've decided to change Armageddon so people don't have such a hard time using it. It should be better in the next version.

You can disable screen shake in options.txt:

It's usually located in C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Ascaron Entertainment\Sacred 2\

Search for " cameraShake " and set the value to "0".

Edited by Flix
  • Like! 1

Hello Flix, I have a little question for you:

Can we make 2 installations of Sacred 2 Gold? I mean one in for example C:\Games\Sacred 2 Gold, where Sacred 2 gold vanilla + cm patch + item mod fix is installed, and another in for example C:\Games\Diablo 2 Fallen where Sacred 2 Gold + Diablo 2 Fallen mod is installed? Or will it have some conflicts problems for options and savedgames?

So I would have 2 shortcuts on desktop, one for Sacgred 2 Gold and another one for Diablo 2 Fallen. I would like to do that because I still play Sacred 2 gold vanilla and I want to play Diablo 2 Falllen too but without having to pass by the Generic mod enabler everytime.

Is there a solution? Thank you very much.

Edited by desm

Hello Flix, I have a little question for you:

Can we make 2 installations of Sacred 2 Gold? I mean one in for example C:\Games\Sacred 2 Gold, where Sacred 2 gold vanilla + cm patch + item mod fix is installed, and another in for example C:\Games\Diablo 2 Fallen where Sacred 2 Gold + Diablo 2 Fallen mod is installed? Or will it have some conflicts problems for options and savedgames?

So I would have 2 shortcuts on desktop, one for Sacgred 2 Gold and another one for Diablo 2 Fallen. I would like to do that because I still play Sacred 2 gold vanilla and I want to play Diablo 2 Falllen too but without having to pass by the Generic mod enabler everytime.

Is there a solution? Thank you very much.

Not that I know of. It may seem like a hassle but I think we should count ourselves lucky that the Mod Enabler works with this game and we don't have to install and remove all the files manually each time.