Question on runes with buffs and combat spells

Sorry if this is the wrong place I'm obviously new haha.

I recently picked up Sacred 2 and with it's size and rather lack of tutorial somethings are rather confusing, I was reading about the Zealous Doppleganger in the wiki and came across this line: "Keeping him as a spell will allow memorizing significant ZD runes number, increasing his combat values without any penalty"

Which raises a question, I under stand that getting runes and using them increases a skills level (and ZD runes means Zealous Doppleganger runes) what I don't understand is it saying the runes will increase his combat values without any penalty if you keep him as a combat spell rather then turn him into a buff (permanent).

So to clarify my question is this: do the buffs recieve a penalty past a certain amoun of runes that the combat cast spells don't?

Buffs carry a regeneration penalty to all combat arts. On the other hand, the temporary Doppelganger only gets a regen penalty to the Doppelganger combat art itself. Since it already has a long cooldown that doesn't change, any "penalty" to Doppelganger's regeneration is so small in comparison that it might as well not even exist.

In other words, you can keep the Doppelganger temporary and read a ton of runes, and yes the regeneration time for Doppelganger might be 5 or 10 seconds longer, but that's a small price to pay. By contrast, if you make him a buff, and you read a ton of runes, ALL combat arts will be hit with a big 'ol regeneration penalty, and that might suck big time.

It's for this reason that many people choose not to upgrade temporary buffs to permanent status.

Edited by Flix
  • Like! 1

Gear and passives can't offset that?

They sure can, but if you have to make sure to use gear that lowers regen time, then that's using up gear slots that could be used to boost damage, armor or something else useful. It's all just a matter of balancing. If your killing power and survival are satisfactory, then there's no wrong way to build a character.

I usually choose not to make temp buffs permanent not because of the regen penalty, but because there are only 3 buff slots, and I often like to use as many abilities as possible.

Ah ok fair enough I'll just see how I go then :)

I'm the same in that I like using as many abilities as possible but at the same time I like being able to deal as much damage as possible passively as well so if possible I always take pets/companions

I only use ZD in boss fights and take advantage of his twin % life leach weapon. If I have a %life leach weapon then he will too.

I do not use ZD for regular mobs and I use Soul Reaver against mobs instead.

On the boss with ZD I make it a buff so I don't have to recast. For example fighting the guardians you don't need to wait for cooldown and recast.