SHOCKED! Lack of mod support for Sacred 1 ?!

Hi all. New to the Sacred 2 world. I played original Sacred 1 on release, but due to its buggy nature, and lack of mod support thereafter made me lose interest pretty quickly, so much that I never returned to the game. I never completed Sacred 1, nor played Sacred 2. Recently, my friend suggested strongly to try Sacred 2 because of the strong community patch support, and an active modding, and fan support for the same. But what I was really interested is playing the orignal, and I was shocked, and confused that the Sacred 1 has got no such love from modding to community patching AT ALL, because for me the original felt a completely better than any games I played, from the atmosphere, amazing story, quests, challenging gameplay, and an overall immersive experience. Except that it was quite buggy, horribly optimized, and frustrating spawning triggers that I wasn't completely comfortable to enjoy and continue playing for long. So, any reason(s) for why is the original got no love from modding community by improving it further, and making it much better than the vanilla, and even the Sacred 2:)

• Like! 1

So, any reason(s) for why is the original got no love from modding community by improving it further, and making it much better than the vanilla, and even the Sacred 2:)

Sacred 1 came out in 2004, between Elder Scrolls Morrowind and Oblivion, so it was before mod-support became a major issue in games. Back then mods were considered cheating, and you had to play the game as the developers intended it.

However, Sacred 1 does support skin redesign and animation swap mods. There is even a veteran mod to ramp up the difficulty. You can even change the music in the game, but not speech or soundeffects.

But let’s get to the core of your problem. What mods do you want to put on Sacred 1?

• Like! 1

Recently, my friend suggested strongly to try Sacred 2 because of the strong community patch support, and an active modding, and fan support for the same.

Great words for the fans and insanely active mod community here!

And I'd always wanted to know why the first game wasn't as modded as the second one too... but wasn't the second one's files already open to the public for modding?

I remember that the original Sacred's secrets were locked, and not supposed to be shared, as they kind of are now with the second game. In fact, the first game's Wiki took so much longer to fully document because a lot of the files that people had outright read for the second one with a week of release, eg "silly messages" was never really extracted that way from the first game.

:)

gogo

p.s. Great having you here on the boards Osho, welcome to DarkMatters!

gogo

I was actually super happy overall with the level of difficulty and enormous content (Sick number of new uniques!!) that was put out with Underworld.

Not a big fan of the worms and bugs area, but the CA's and new classes just made the game an almost perfect experience (albeit ten years ago :4rofl:)

As well, there were some creatures in the game that were using some serious WIDD?

For HC then players, the game all of a sudden got dangerous and was loads of fun

gogo

I think because sacred UW was so active online (closed, so no mods allowed) for such a long time after release, that was where people tended to hang out, and by the time the servers shut down, everyone simply moved on. There was no major attempt (although there is an unofficial patch for the german edition I believe) to try extend interest via mods, especially due to the increased difficulty involved as opposed to Sacred 2

• Like! 1

I wanted to like Sacred 1, but having already played Sacred 2, the 2D sprite graphics were hard to look at. The over the top spawn rates did not help either, but the constant crashing was the straw that broke the camel's back. Sacred 2 also gave me no end of trouble at first, but once I figured out what was going on with the PhysX and the memory leak, I could play it for tolerable amounts of time without problems..

...but the constant crashing was the straw that broke the camel's back.

Sad to hear that.

But I know for a fact that there are versions of S1 out there that don't crash as often. GOG is selling Sacred 1 Gold for 9 bucks.

...but the constant crashing was the straw that broke the camel's back.

Sad to hear that.

But I know for a fact that there are versions of S1 out there that don't crash as often. GOG is selling Sacred 1 Gold for 9 bucks.

I might have to give it a try. I have the Steam version, and it will crash within 10 minutes of starting. I know GOG games are supposed to be optimized to work with Windows 7; I may get it and Sacred 2. I don't know if that would make any difference with Sacred 2; the memory leak is still present.

Last night it crashed, and task manager showed sacred2.exe using over 1.5MB of system memory.

I seem to remember there being a console command to purge memory, but haven't been able to locate it..

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hello I played sacred 1 for years till I got a new computer with windows 7 then it wouldn't play anymore on it. Along with the many other games "Neverwinter, Icewind dale, the Balder gates...." Then I found sacred gold on wildtangent and works on my pc. Still get the crashes now and then and still can't play the dwarf and use his cannon fire without it freezing the game if I rase the level of that skill over 11.

Was a little disapointes that mod progrma that worked on my sacred 1 on the old pc wont work with the new sacred 1 gold downloaded off wildtangent. It was fun messing around with the stats of the items and character. I never messed with the level of the character but I did like giving my bow the power to kill the undead fast and I gave a few of the rings 4 slots. Also once jacked up the sword and shield I gave to wilber and the swords for the dark elf companion to my wood elf then ignored the main plot and gated to everywhere in the game. I would keep any character that was a fighter that joined me and jacked up their weapons. Had a small party with me. I usually kept the party down to 7.