Help with Editing Sacred 2 Textures (First try)

I tried editing the Variation 1 of the Angeldust armor for seraphim and this is what happened:

sacred-2-seraphim-mod-armor-sevpoots.jpg

What I like about editing the textures is that it is ALMOST similar in Sacred 1. Except that when you just delete a certain part of the texture, it does not become transparent.

Help plz? ^,^

Depending on the texture you are editing, deleting parts of the image has different effects. In addition, the shader is likely to still be applied which gives the correct material look to the surface (metal, fur etc.). I believe that the only way to delete a part of the texture is to edit the 3d model and remove that aprt of the model, recreate the texture and edit that.

owever, perhaps if flix or silverfox see this they may be able to help. It's been a while since I played with these things...

• Like! 1

Depending on the texture you are editing, deleting parts of the image has different effects. In addition, the shader is likely to still be applied which gives the correct material look to the surface (metal, fur etc.). I believe that the only way to delete a part of the texture is to edit the 3d model and remove that aprt of the model, recreate the texture and edit that.

owever, perhaps if flix or silverfox see this they may be able to help. It's been a while since I played with these things...

Thanks! to add there is also another file (with the same name; different extension) in the folder but it is just a transparent image. maybe I should edit that? I saw in the Thread about editing texture

Making a certain part of the armor invisible using textures is possible, but not for all armors. For some of them you really need to edit the model itself if you want to get rid of some parts. As far as I know, you should not have trouble with editing Angeldust set, but for other items, it's better to open itemtype.txt, search it for the model that is used for the item in question, and check the list of flags. If FLAG_EQUIPCUT is present, it means that the character's body is not rendered beneath the armor, and therefore making some parts of such armor invisible can effectively cut holes in the character. Does not mean that such items can not be edited, only that you should be careful with them.

To make a part of armor or weapon invisible using its textures, you need to do the following:

• Open the diffuse (_d) texture and check if it has alpha channel. Add it if it is not present.
  • Editing the alpha channel, you need to color the parts that you want to remove black, and all the other parts white.
  • Open surface.txt (found in scripts\client inside the game's folder) and find the surface entry for the item you are editing. To do so, you can simply search the file for the name of the texture without the extension (for example, for the Angeldust torso, searching for "c_sera-angeldust-torso_d" gives you the correct surface entry)
  • Check the flags. If the surface entry has SURFACE_FLAG_MASKED on the list, then no change is required. However, if it has SURFACE_FLAG_OPAQUE, it should be changed to SURFACE_FLAG_MASKED.
  • Save the texture, save the script and check in game. Note that the changes to textures can be done while the game is running and they are applied in game as soon as game's renderer reloads the texture. But any changes to scripts should be done when the game is not running and would apply only on the next launch.

Note that if the item has fur or t-energy effects, making some parts of it invisible might be troublesome, because these two effects also use the alpha channel of the diffuse texture.

• Like! 1

Making a certain part of the armor invisible using textures is possible, but not for all armors. For some of them you really need to edit the model itself if you want to get rid of some parts. As far as I know, you should not have trouble with editing Angeldust set, but for other items, it's better to open itemtype.txt, search it for the model that is used for the item in question, and check the list of flags. If FLAG_EQUIPCUT is present, it means that the character's body is not rendered beneath the armor, and therefore making some parts of such armor invisible can effectively cut holes in the character. Does not mean that such items can not be edited, only that you should be careful with them.

To make a part of armor or weapon invisible using its textures, you need to do the following:

• Open the diffuse (_d) texture and check if it has alpha channel. Add it if it is not present.
  • Editing the alpha channel, you need to color the parts that you want to remove black, and all the other parts white.
  • Open surface.txt (found in scripts\client inside the game's folder) and find the surface entry for the item you are editing. To do so, you can simply search the file for the name of the texture without the extension (for example, for the Angeldust torso, searching for "c_sera-angeldust-torso_d" gives you the correct surface entry)
  • Check the flags. If the surface entry has SURFACE_FLAG_MASKED on the list, then no change is required. However, if it has SURFACE_FLAG_OPAQUE, it should be changed to SURFACE_FLAG_MASKED.
  • Save the texture, save the script and check in game. Note that the changes to textures can be done while the game is running and they are applied in game as soon as game's renderer reloads the texture. But any changes to scripts should be done when the game is not running and would apply only on the next launch.

Note that if the item has fur or t-energy effects, making some parts of it invisible might be troublesome, because these two effects also use the alpha channel of the diffuse texture.

Textures for models are typically a combination of three types: diffuse, normal and specular. You can tell them by the suffixes they added to the files: _d, _n, or _s.

Diffuse are the colorful maps that you see as the "main" texture. Normal are the "bump" maps - they give a sense of 3-dimensional texture. Specular are the "surface glow" maps. They are responsible for causing glows and shines.

Another factor is that you need to also be able to edit the alpha channels for diffuse maps to make them truly invisible. I don't know how to do it in GIMP, though it feels like it should be possible. It can be done in Photoshop - Silver Fox has done it.

Once again, I thank you guys for the fast and informative Replies.

Hmm So I find it hard to edit the alpha channels using gimp (Even though I can now View it using gimp)

What Is the best Program to edit it without that much hassle?

Also, SilverFox, I now see the black alpha channel of the skirt in gimp. But when I try to Erase it or edit it , there is no change at all. Or I cannot make any changes to the texture

Edited by SevPOOTS