Montreal Is So Cold Your Skin Can Freeze Within 30 Minutes

My teacher told me that the biggest problem of america is that there are no mountain ranges running west-east to block artic winds. The big advantage of germany is to have mid range mountains running west-east. The big disadvantage is that I live at the place which blocks all the cold wind. A even bigger disadvantage is that warm winds from the south are blocked too. Even the old folk songs about our area are about cold winds.

Westerwaldlied

German English translation First verse

Heute wollen wir marschier'n
Einen neuen Marsch probier'n
In dem schönen Westerwald
Ja da pfeift der Wind so kalt

Today we want to march
To try out a new march
In the lovely Westerwald
Yes, there the wind whistles so cold

Chorus

Oh, Du schöner Westerwald
Über Deine Höhen pfeift der Wind so kalt
Jedoch der kleinste Sonnenschein
Dringt tief ins Herz hinein

Oh, you lovely Westerwald
Over your heights the wind whistles so cold
However, the smallest sunshine
Thrusts deep into the heart

Second verse

Und die Gretel und der Hans
Gehn des Sonntags gern zum Tanz
Weil das Tanzen Freude macht
Und das Herz im Leibe lacht

Wiederhole Refrain

And Gretel and Hans
Gladly go dancing on Sunday
Because dancing makes joy
And the heart in the body laughs

Repeat chorus

Third verse

Ist das Tanzen dann vorbei
Gibt es meistens Keilerei
Und dem Bursch, den das nicht freut,
sagt man nach, er hat kein' Schneid

Wiederhole Refrain

When the dancing is over
There is mostly fighting
And the lad whom that does not please
Is accused of having no grit

Repeat chorus

Fourth verse

Oh, Du schöner Westerwald
Bist ja weit und breit bekannt
Echte Menschen der Natur
Von Falschheit keine Spur

Wiederhole Refrain

Oh, you lovely Westerwald
Are known far and wide
True people of nature
Of falsehood no trace

Repeat chorus

• Like! 1

In the philippines there is no Snow T.T

I have never even seen snow...

Delta!

Snow is overrated.

I'm shore you'll get to travel and see it someday and it will be a nice new experience. But you wouldn't want to experience it for days on end - its cold, gets in places you don't want to, melts in your hands or freezes you.

• Like! 1

-9°C is cold?!.. In Canada?!.. Man, you people on the 45th latitude.

OK, I'm being a big donkey here. You obviously have very high humidity and winds to go with that temperature, which makes the frost bite a lot more serious. Just wait for the temperature to drop to minus 15 to 30, the humidity in the air will freeze up, making it less cold on your skin when the wind will dies down.

I remember when my nephew was here, had had some moments out on the skate rink, and with factoring in wind chill, we were close to -27 that day... course last week, temps were in the mid - 30's here.

Parents got me good gear this year though, new mits, one of those infinity scarves a sick jacket and super boots.... bring it on!

:dance:

goog

On the bright side, you have a valid excuse to wear a ski mask in public.

I'm a huge fan of face covering this year. Face gets cold super fast, and with it goes your spirit.

Trying to always keep the scarf up... breathing into it creates a kind of soft, moist, warm mini climate in front of your nostrils which keeps the insides from freezing up

:blink:

gogo

• Like! 1

No snow, -9C and storm warning for wind speeds up to 100km/h. Mid in the storm phase a heavy snow period is predicted. And I was wise enough to be not on the emergency readiness list today as was my wife.

Sounds a little chilly! ;)

We'd love to show you DB, come down and visit y dont cha

muhaahahha

:devil:

gogo

Ha it's been ~25°C overnight last night here...much too hot to sleep! But now it's day time it's wonderful! Not sure I want to give that up to be honest. Although seeing real snow would be pretty "cool" :P As opposed to icy stuff on the ground that it turns into...

Not even any mountains anywhere where sometimes frost settles?

:o

gogo

Nope. None at all. Zero. We buy Crushed ice and sit on them to compensate lol jk

• Like! 1

>I have never even seen snow...

Delta!

Snow is overrated.

I'm shore you'll get to travel and see it someday and it will be a nice new experience. But you wouldn't want to experience it for days on end - its cold, gets in places you don't want to, melts in your hands or freezes you.

I'll keep that in mind. I might see the miasma enemy lol

Funny I could never imagine winter without snow....those 4+ years in Guantanamo Bay drove me crazy with it's 'perpetual summer'.

I guess it's all about what you experienced growing up...what you're used to I guess. For me I just couldn't envision never skiing or snow mobiling up mountain trials or sledding or even a classic snowball fight...or watching my dog nose dive through snow drifts :)

• Like! 1

Not even any mountains anywhere where sometimes frost settles?

:o

gogo

Nope. None at all. Zero. We buy Crushed ice and sit on them to compensate lol jk

yay...crushed ice day...yay!

:D

gogo

Funny I could never imagine winter without snow....those 4+ years in Guantanamo Bay drove me crazy with it's 'perpetual summer'.

I guess it's all about what you experienced growing up...what you're used to I guess. For me I just couldn't envision never skiing or snow mobiling up mountain trials or sledding or even a classic snowball fight...or watching my dog nose dive through snow drifts :)

With you on this. Had snow most of my life growing up, skating and skiing's a big part of that. For that, at least, I thank the season.

and, so... here's the weather... oh, did I forget to mention that we're in the middle of another blizzard, and, oh yeah..it's like -30 outside with wind chill!

aieeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

:oooo:

gogo

westmount.jpg