So...Is Unbended still being made?

Crit: 30% chance of double damage (for example) wouldn't serve your "number fetish"? :D I think it descirbes exactly, what this skill does...

My main thing is finding a balance between giving the player new toys to play with (spells, CAs in Sacred, etc.), and not making it a binary "yes, you have it" or "no, you need to unlock it." Like the CA mods in Sacred 2, or Runes in Diablo 3. Things where you can go back and play with stuff you had before and gave up on, but found some new piece of gear that makes it good again.

Yeah, the tedium of "oh boy, a new set of armor that gives me +5% instead of +4% like I'm wearing now!" can make games feel like progression is slow and merely a new set of numbers plugged into a calculator, but I infinitely prefer that to "hey, here's a better version of that spell you were using, so might as well drop the last one entirely!" that many games employ.

For your Crit example, it's having to do the quick math between +10% to critical chance vs +50 Crit damage per successful crit, based on current values, without necessarily just plugging it onto my character and watching the relevant columns in a stat sheet change. That's one thing I really dislike, modern ARPGs just unashamedly giving you your DPS number in your stats, so that you literally don't have to think about it.

Edited by angrytigerp

That's one thing I really dislike, modern ARPGs just unashamedly giving you your DPS number in your stats, so that you literally don't have to think about it.

That may be a problem. We don't know if there will be a blatant DPS indicator this time, but a lot of simpler players may want to have it.

Would you be willing to compromise to have no DPS indicator only in hardcore mode?

Edited by SX255

That's one thing I really dislike, modern ARPGs just unashamedly giving you your DPS number in your stats, so that you literally don't have to think about it.

That may be a problem. We don't know if there will be a blatant DPS indicator this time, but a lot of simpler players may want to have it.

Would you be willing to compromise to have no DPS indicator only in hardcore mode?

Yeah, I realized even as I said that in the post you quoted that there's no particular reason to nix it just for the sake of making things unnecessarily complicated. That said... I mean, it could go either way, in my opinion. While I'm not directly opposed to simplifying SOME aspects of the math for the players' consumption, neither do I want a case where you will know EXACTLY what gear is better.

I suppose DPS as a given number would be fine... But something like D3 actually showing you DPS, EHP, and HP regen blatantly? That just smacks of mindless casualization to me. What the heck, then, is the point of having incremental statting on gear and skills, if you're going to boil it down to numbers? You could say that, sure, you can do that in ANY ARPG (or RPGs in general, I suppose); but when the game literally tells me "all right, you'll get +10% damage and -1% EHP if you use this weapon!", then why even bother with numbers? Mind as well just go "this weapon moderately increases damage and slightly decreases EHP (or "health" as a simplified RPG would probably put it), and not have numbers at all!

Like, when I play JRPGs that show little arrows and stuff next to the stats when you compare gear, I try to ignore it, because I want to have to analyze stuff a little, not just know that increases = good

Edited by angrytigerp
  • Like! 1