Phone land line, time to give it up>?

gogoblender

Kind of a sad moment, but I decided to give up the land line which had been the good ole steadfast companion for many many years. The backbone of my life then, it had become an extra expensive. And after getting the cell, I found I was hardly using the land line anymore cept for dsl, and with TekSavvy, this awesome company near us, switched the net to cable.

Was hard actually telling Bell we were going to cut it, and I felt so brainwashed into keeping the line, but now, a few months later, I'm doing okay with out.

Just wondering how many peeps here are still holding onto their land lines, or has /is it cell all the way?

:)

gogo

• Like! 1

We haven't had a land-line for years. We use VOIP and get unlimited North American and European calls for about $30/month.

Of course the line is tied to our Internet connection, so it isn't "mobile" but I have no desire to be "connected" 24/7.

• Like! 1

My parents still use the land line, as they have many old friends who don't want to be bothered with sellphone numbers. Dam old plastic phone is 2 decades old, but still gets use a couple of times per month. I stopped giving out that number a long time ago, and since I moved out, have no need for a land line phone anymore.

• Like! 1

I still have a land line, although it's now VOIP. AT&T was dropping DSL in my area and I had to switch to their "U-Verse" service. When I did that, my phone also switched. The total bill is half what I was paying for just DSL, so I'll keep the phone for now.

• Like! 1

I am paranoid, have all:

shortwave radio - everyone can listen

microwave radio link- doesn't work when a storm makes the antenna vibrating and the firefighter tower antenna in the village is no longer targetted

cable all the way down the trees along the street, doesn't work when a tree fell

cellular phones: the Antenna for 3 of the main four are blocked by the hill our house is build into. As soon as I am 100 metre away from the house the 4th is blocked and one of the 3 not in house reachable providers can be used....

carrier pigeons: only useful to contact a friend from my daughter who has carrier pigeons too

smoke signs: very riscy in summer in a dry forest and most people know just --- ... ---

• Like! 1

I am paranoid, have all:

microwave radio link- doesn't work when a storm makes the antenna vibrating and the firefighter tower antenna in the village is no longer targetted

cable all the way down the trees along the street, doesn't work when a tree fell

cellular phones: the Antenna for 3 of the main four are blocked by the hill our house is build into. As soon as I am 100 metre away from the house the 4th is blocked and one of the 3 not in house reachable providers can be used....

carrier pigeons: only useful to contact a friend from my daughter who has carrier pigeons too

smoke signs: very riscy in summer in a dry forest and most people know just --- ... ---

Try making a helium balloon antenna by attaching a wire to a helium balloon :)

Or use an Internet based phone system

• Like! 1

When I got my new cellphone about a month ago, I picked an unlimited calling plan. So I also thought of cutting out the land line. When I called to cut it, I've been offered to keep it, but pay $8/month instead of $25/month for it, so I ended up keeping it.

I was in the same place!

bell offered me a massive discount of 100.00 to try and keep the line for another year...would have worked out to about 10.00 a month...

However, I really thought about it, and I just couldn't come up with a reason to pay out 120.00 for no reason I could come up with then

Cut the line, sure I cried a bit..it's weird feeling not having it... kinda like an umbilical cord!

:4rofl:

gogo

I haven't got a land line. Moved out of my paren't place a few months ago and just never set one up. Not a problem as I never used it anyway. My mobile plan has sufficient calls and so on.

How many minutes do you get for your plan, is it actually unlimited?

In Canada now, most of the big companies offer unlimited calling all across Canada, a nice feature

gogo

We haven't had a land-line for years. We use VOIP and get unlimited North American and European calls for about $30/month.

Of course the line is tied to our Internet connection, so it isn't "mobile" but I have no desire to be "connected" 24/7.

Here you on the 24/7 connection... with perspective, it's kinda strange seeing being connected like that...but for me after first year, I got used to it...

in fact I kinda crave it now

:blink:

gogo

My parents still use the land line, as they have many old friends who don't want to be bothered with sellphone numbers. Dam old plastic phone is 2 decades old, but still gets use a couple of times per month. I stopped giving out that number a long time ago, and since I moved out, have no need for a land line phone anymore.

lol SellPhone... hah, true... for a wee while, near the end of the land line's connection with us, that was pretty much all it was getting.

gogo

I still have a land line, although it's now VOIP. AT&T was dropping DSL in my area and I had to switch to their "U-Verse" service. When I did that, my phone also switched. The total bill is half what I was paying for just DSL, so I'll keep the phone for now.

This means yer getting billed for a voip line and a cell phone?

gogo

I am paranoid, have all:

Macgyver!!

:high fives:

gogo

I am paranoid, have all:

Try making a helium balloon antenna by attaching a wire to a helium balloon :)

Or use an Internet based phone system

I actually tried using my cell phone to make calls initiating with Data that call to someone elses's land or cell with Google Talk...

it works!

gogo

This means yer getting billed for a voip line and a cell phone?

gogo

No, just Internet and landline. My cell phone is with Verizon.
  • Like! 1

I haven't got a land line. Moved out of my paren't place a few months ago and just never set one up. Not a problem as I never used it anyway. My mobile plan has sufficient calls and so on.

In Canada now, most of the big companies offer unlimited calling all across Canada, a nice feature

gogo

We don't get minutes directly, instead we get a dollar value and a call cost per minute + call connection fee. It's hard to say exactly how many minutes it equates to, but it's maybe 5hours woth of two minute calls...more than sufficient for my current needs.

• Like! 1

I did almost the exact same thing as Floox.

Only a different order in things, mostly because ever since we moved out from our parents, we never had a tv/internet/telephone plan with a land line. Andere the new phone plan I took this month is an unlimited plan as far as calling andere texting goes. My sister did not leave out the landline, but she is on a tiny mobile plan...

• Like! 1

gogo

We don't get minutes directly, instead we get a dollar value and a call cost per minute + call connection fee. It's hard to say exactly how many minutes it equates to, but it's maybe 5hours woth of two minute calls...more than sufficient for my current needs.

Db, that's a very new way of billing for me. Does it come in overall at the same price every month for your regular usage?

gogo

I did almost the exact same thing as Floox.

Only a different order in things, mostly because ever since we moved out from our parents, we never had a tv/internet/telephone plan with a land line. Andere the new phone plan I took this month is an unlimited plan as far as calling andere texting goes. My sister did not leave out the landline, but she is on a tiny mobile plan...

Hey Timo!

Is the unlimited calling in your plan for local, or country calls only?

gogo

All domestic calls, whether it's landline or mobile. There's also 1GB of data in the plan.
I pay less because it's by the same company we have our TV/internet contract with. You get a monthly € 10.00 discount for already being a customer. Pretty OK deal this way.

Edited by Timotheus
  • Like! 1

I've only been finding out about landline versus cell rates in international calls... quite a difference if you pick up one of those so called " discount" packages, and then find out the discounts only work well against land lines...

:blink:

gogo

I leave the landline on since it only costs 10 bucks a month on my plan....plus I use it for all registrations/signups. That way when the phone number inevitably ends up on the telemarketers list, they call that number and not our cell phones. I have the ringer turned off and very rarely even check it for messages.

I'm very careful who gets my cell number and this way when it rings I know it's a call I need or want to take

• Like! 1

that's a really good deal on a land line Knuckles

I think, with the 100.00 credit they were offering me it was going to come out to be something like that...

I accepted the credit and then called them back and cancelled anyways after thinking about it

Spent it on steak and beer!

:dance:

gogo