The Flame in the Flood

Love the characte they're able to put into Indie games... no massive board of directors to be accountable to...just wild, unbridled imagination.

The lighting in this game looks especially fantastic

:)

gogo

Wasn't able to get any of the Kickstarter early backer bundles as that is already over but was able to get a digital copy of the game including the soundtrack for 29.99 US. Deal as far as I'm concerned

• Like! 1
  • 7 months later...

Well finally able to play (still early access) and man not sure I've had this much fun dying

It's tough, the environment isn't very hospitable and the boars and wolves are down right nasty. There are soooooo many ways to die and if you die, you go back to the start....there are NO save points. Though if you stashed a few items on your trusty sidekick Aesop (a dog) you will have them when you restart

Not sure how long the game is but so far haven't made it past 12 miles. I've died from wolves, boars, dysentery, sepsis, exhaustion, hunger and dehydration lol.

The river you traverse is randomly generated so each game is totally different. Some I've found lots of clean water to start and others, nothing for miles. Very random. It feels like a race against time but you have to stop to scavenge for supplies. You could be low on water and there's a wolf or boar right next to a well....you won't make it much farther so you have a choice....hopefully get the water without the wolf hurting you or take your chances further downriver

So far having a great time and the sound track/atmosphere is great.

• Like! 1

Yeah it can be a little frustrating...

The game is essentially broken down in 2 parts...One is on the river guiding your raft downstream and the 2nd is random locations on land where you scavenge and craft items.

The rapids can be challenging...between rocks, floating cars and debris it's easy to wreck your raft...nothing worse than knowing one more hit will doom your raft but there's not a repair station in sight and/or you haven't found the parts needed to repair it.

Or leaving a location while still tired or hungry or thirsty...sometimes you can't find more water or food or shelter down the river in time.

The NO save points can be disconcerting..and maybe a turn-off for some. Right now there is only 'Endless Mode' though there is a 'Campaign Mode' coming at some point. Don't know if that mode will have save points.

right now it's like a Hardcore Survival game....my daughter and I are having a blast so far though we maybe got 25 hours combined in it now, so who knows, maybe that constant re-starting will wear on us eventually.

I would recommend watching some 'Let's Play' vids on youtube...do a pretty good job of showing what's it's like even if you only watch one or two. I would advise not watching too many as 1) some are outdated and certain items/crafting/recipes have changed and 2) it's much more fun (to me) to figure out how to craft or use things on my own than being shown how.

Example it took us a little bit to figure out how to use the water filters we had (an item you get at start) and had a lot of water issues early in game. Once we figured it out, it made perfect sense and kind of shook our heads for taking so long to figure it out.

Oh which reminds me...all the diseases/injuries and their remedies make sense..which is nice...no magical elixir to fix some disease you never heard of. Like you can get a laceration that un-treated leads to an infection which leads to sepsis. If treated quickly with alcohol/bandage you're fine, but if it gets worse, better hope you find some penicillin.

The game has been compared to an older classic game The Oregon Trail (dysentery anyone?)

The Flame in the Flood is like the Oregon Trail - but meaner