How do you choose armor in classless RPGs?

My decision is always based on survival first, looks second, stats third.

I prefer to play the same type of Paladin-Rogue tank Jack-of-all-Trades with armor in dark colors. Don’t have time to make multiple toons to play in one game. If the new armor has epic stats, but looks ridiculous on my toon, I keep the old cool looking weaker one and make up for it with endurance stats. If I don’t find anything good and the game supports mods, I look into any good mods to dress up myself and my team.

I stay away from games that call anything with "exposed midriff" heavy armor.

If you want a real story about personalized armor, here is one with pictures and video:

As a hobby I spent the second half of my childhood making prototypes for best 21 century armor out of paper and cardboard. Started from misunderstanding the knowledge on “paper armor” and went into making full on papier-mâché armor. There is merit in it. Here is my first design stopping a knife easy in 2008:

I researched into design over material – its easy to switch from cardboard plates to reinforced tungsten carbide plates. Dreamt of building indestructible armor that would shrug off everything thrown at it, then claw my enemies to death. Had a one hell of mental breakdown in 2007 when I finished first college, put on my Mark 1 and looked in the mirror. Just look at it:

DSC00030.jpg?t=14250751903.jpg

But with failure after failure I keep on coming back to my childhood passion, tinkering and experimenting, in hopes of one day getting some real power to challenge the world and save lives.

Through the years I confirmed that there is no such thing as indestructible armor, Hollywood be dammed – any antitank piercer will kill you with a 250% guaranty. Concluded that bomb squad armor is the best in terms of taking a hit. Invented hingemail – a simple idea of using caterpillar tracks as plating that flexes only one way.

2 month ago made a shrine/armor rack out of newer parts to honor those years of my life, and remind myself that even in the worst of times I still have some very awesome and useful skills.

2.jpg

At the moment the armor design hobby is on the bottom of my to do list. Preserved almost all of the designs. Still have the poorly made Mark 1 in storage, in hopes that one day I do find the best armor design, and it becomes a museum piece. As I end my 3 decade of life, only those pieces of glue, paper, rubber and string are all that exists that can outlive me an become my legacy... About time I start my own family.

For my next project I have a very cool idea, and it will look something like this:

thecoat.png

• Like! 1

Yeah, that's how we all start.

You don’t know how important comfortable shoulder armor and armpit protection are until you try something like that. The armor just cuts into your upper arm, and you are better off without it. And when you do get enough room, you end up with a huge gap around the area.

Can you even begin to imagine doing just 1 pull-up with bulky shoulder guards? Impossible, even if your life depended on it.

• Like! 1