I've found myself hugely engrossed over the last few weeks, my phone keeps feeding me great topics that have hundreds and hundreds of responses on it.

It's a kind of bizarre set up, and takes some getting used to, but for the sheer amount of opinion expressed daily on the most outlandish, strangest, and amusingly relevant topics around, fascinates and has me hooked.

Which got me to thinking, is Reddit considered a forum, or a news feed as some say?

:)

gogo

• 5 years later...

Reddit always reminded me of a replacement for usenet (anyone remember that?) I do think reddit is a major contributor to the decline of forums though.

It does have its uses though, namely being able to access many different communities with one account (whereas with forums you'd have to join countless forums for that). However I can't say I'm a fan of threaded topics and I don't like how new topics can't be bumped and rapidly drop to the bottom. I like the discussion flow of forums more.

I'm not a fan of the upvote/downvote mechanic either.

Music-based reddits are rather annoying because they all essentially turn into youtube-spam and you rarely get any real discussion.

8 hours ago, Perdition said:

Reddit always reminded me of a replacement for usenet (anyone remember that?) I do think reddit is a major contributor to the decline of forums though.

It does have its uses though, namely being able to access many different communities with one account (whereas with forums you'd have to join countless forums for that). However I can't say I'm a fan of threaded topics and I don't like how new topics can't be bumped and rapidly drop to the bottom. I like the discussion flow of forums more.

I'm not a fan of the upvote/downvote mechanic either.

Music-based reddits are rather annoying because they all essentially turn into youtube-spam and you rarely get any real discussion.

I've lately only used it when i search for information and one of the links ends up being reddit.  I'd heard that the site was originally created by  some people and his friends creating lots and lots of posts to simulate a community, it caught on and... voila...  the phenomenon called... reddit

;blink:

gogo