Sacred: Music and Soundscapes

Hello everyone.

I like Sacred very much, just like you guys do. Sacred has been one of my favourite games. I was intoduced to it by my mother who was a gamer back in 2006/2007 and I've been playing it in periods ever since.

In fact, when I stumbled upon the advantages of trading that were listed here in some thread, I decided to include said skill in my next character build. Today, I have a level 68 BM in Gold who often shops in the glorious Bravemart.

And despite all the praise that Sacred recieves from it's fanbase here at DarkMatters, there is one area which is NEVER mentioned, but deserves notable attention.

Sound Design.

Sacred's sound design is stellar. Hit sounds are pretty mediocre, but the soundtrack can be really dark and atmospheric, while also offering some very action packed pieces. I also play Morrowind which allows custom music, and I used to put all Sacred music that was appropiate in it. To this day, I still have all the battle tracks which still show up in occasionally in Morrowind.

My favourite ambient-ish pieces would have to be "Atmospot Cemetary" and "Village Siege Undead". Great tracks that really create an atmosphere for the game, not to mention the breathing sounds. All of that really made Sacred feel alive.

I completely agree with you on this game having some of the best sounds and music around.. in fact, I remember writing a topic about some of the music from the first Sacred, and the music they put in. And one of the members here, belgarathmath, whom I believe is a musician, has actually figgered out that when you do hits with one of the musical instruments you get from the band quest, it very subtly plays out a tune! :lol:

Plus the sounds of battle...I never got over how in most other games, when you hit or are hit by enemies, it's usually one noise or maybe max two...but here in Sacred, there's always a rich number of melee sounds, removing adding things from armor...never just one sound, always a range.

I remember being so impressed, did an interview with the dev who did the sounds from the game, and he was able to give us even more insight ... enjoy the read/treat!

http://darkmatters.org/forums/index.php?/topic/8448-darkmatters-presents-interview-with-lars-hammer/

:)

gogo

Thanks for the link Gogoblender :)

To be honest, I never managed to enjoy Sacred 2 as much as Sacred 1 but nevertheless, I can't help but admire sound developers who go this far to have a living world via sound. I think most gamers toand developpers day underestimate this.