Dragon Mage: Alchemical Berserk

lujate

Our second daughter plays a DM elementalist with bargaining and alchemy. She finished silver at 40 and gold at 48 with berzerking all the bosses and using destroyers for mob control. She recharges the destroyers with reg per hit since she can place 3 weapon hits in the cooldown of the destroyers.

Berzerking allows to have bargaining at level without too much compromises. When berserk drops (which is mainly when emptying an area) she prefers just surviving till berserk is charged again. So the focus is more towards defense when not in berserk mode.

elemental lore 5

armor lore 5

dragon magic focus 66

concentration 1

mentalism focus 9

elemental focus 66

bargaining 66

toughness 34

alchemy 1

combat discipline 1

The idea is to change from reg per hit hybrid style to full caster playing. So combat discpline together with 100% chance to halve reg times will put the ca-regen clock to only 30% reg remaining.

Also planed is using an max ca-range approach. The elememtal set, the sigil set, shield and staff,... We don't know if the explosion radius of destroyers is boosted by more ca-range. But that of maelstrom is, and destroyers work deadly versus enemies with reduced stats (=hp) and reduced physical armour.

What she did different: she did the first mod in berserk to fury and not to frenzy. Faster hits with less charge to the berzerkform or slower hits with more charge, she preferred faster=more hits. Blood frenzy would give attack speed too, but it can happen that the CA is blocked because of a stun or push.

Spell Resistance is a 0 or 75 skill. If you don't plan to max it, don't take it.

• Like! 1

I for one am glad to see a Dragon Mage build that focuses on the Dragon Magic Aspect.

In my mind there's really only one way to mod the Berserk: Fury-Steal Life-Blood Frenzy. Actually most of my thoughts about the Dragon Berserk are on the Wiki page, since I filled it in.

I'd consider Toughness and Enhanced Perception/Bargaining. If finding good items isn't an issue, then I'd say either Spell Resistance or Ancient Magic are good choices for the final skill. You'll know by that point whether you're having an issue with either survivability (take Spell Resistance) or spell damage (take Ancient Magic). Since the only time you'll be in melee range will be when you're transformed, I'd think Combat Reflexes wouldn't be much use.

Runes of Protection offers a nice chance to block spells (even more with the gold mod Runes). And Familiar gives a huge boost to Willpower. I think the DM is actually in pretty good shape without Spell Resistance. And with the damage mitigation from Toughness, the only thing that will really slip though is Life Leech.

Right now, when Berserk is on cool-down, I just alternate Mind Strike/Energy Blaze combo and either Eternal Fire or Dragon Strike. I have a sword equipped, but I never use it.

So far, I've taken out the Kobold Chieftan. I know he can be trouble for some builds, but I took him down without too much difficulty.

I've thought about it and decided to go "all-in" for Runes of Protection. I've dropped Spell Resistance and am planning on mastering Mentalism Focus and Armor Lore.

• 2 weeks later...

I just took out Gar Colossus in Silver. The LL% from Berserk kept me virtually at full health. I was almost one-shotted though. I had a red flash from full health. I'll need to acquire some defensive trophies very soon.

• Like! 1

I just took out Gar Colossus in Silver. The LL% from Berserk kept me virtually at full health. I was almost one-shotted though. I had a red flash from full health. I'll need to acquire some defensive trophies very soon.

I remember sucking up the def trophies that gave thousands and thousands to the stat

Yee haw Iron Ore!

http://sacredwiki.org/index.php/Sacred_2:Iron_Ore_Trophy

Wiki understates how good it is...it is HUGELY significant increase...

btw, have you been noticing regions in which specific trophies are dropping?

Always wanted to have that in Wiki pages per trophy...is it dropping per race, region or truly random?

:)

gogo

Berserk with CM Patch shreds all bosses until around Gold because they added LL%, as you said. It was formerly flat Life Leeched per Hit. It felt very overpowered to me the first time I played it at low levels (never played without Cm patch). I faced every single boss in Silver and Gold as the Berserk because the spells were so pathetic and weak by comparison. So when the Berserk became pitiful and fragile in Platinum and Niobium it was a shock (however by that point the DM's spells had come into their own). Mainly it was the fact that his hits never landed anymore (LL% is useless if you can't hit), and he has no defensive modifiers whatsoever. I suspect this is the point where your Alchemy skills will come in handy. Troll Tooth trophies for attack, and Iron Ore and Talisman trophies for protection.

Overall a fun but very unbalanced CA, which is why I spent so much time trying to mod him to scale more evenly in Enhanced Spells.

btw, have you been noticing regions in which specific trophies are dropping?

Always wanted to have that in Wiki pages per trophy...is it dropping per race, region or truly random?

Trophies drop according to monster type, just as the Wiki says. Just like shrunken heads. Without a doubt confirmed, I've seen how it's set up in the scripts.

As a bit of an aside... Gogo said once he had a dream for a map of Ancaria coded to show Trophy drops by region. It's a great idea. A guide to farming Trophies would be just as good. For example, if a player wanted to farm Iron Ore Trophies, where might they go for the best "crop" of Monster-type enemies? That kind of thing. Would make for good reading.

Yah, I can add to each trophy page, the specific monsters or link to them that are dropping each trophy... but, for example, specific trophies are dropping in an area, true...but are they being dropped by a specific monster type, or all monsters in that are drop them?

Which means, we get a specific trophy type because that monster type is region specific, or because any monster type in that are has a chance of dropping it?

:)

gogo

• Like! 1

Region is just a coincidence. It's all about the monster type. For example, let's look at Iron Ore trophies. Dropped by Monster-type enemies. The Bestiary organization isn't arbitrary; those categories are used by the game. So that list of "Monster" enemies will all drop Iron Ore trophies.

The second step is saying, "where are those enemies then?" Each enemy has a "Region" listed beside its portrait. For example, Werewolves have "Artamark." But of course that's a big place, and werewolves are only in the southeast portion. That's why I started to give each Region page a regional Bestiiary section saying where each enemy type tended to be. Had I finished, it would probably be easy to take that info and turn it into a written guide.

I used to edit the files in a way that the map lines are displayed. Entering a new map square can bring new monster types and so I was a bit more carefully when I didn't knew the game.

But probably it can be used for trophy hunt too. Anyone uses reg per hit trophies on there DM berzerkers? I guess faster recharge of the berserk CA's brings a better hit chance late game for a zerk?

Seems Flix sees berserk the same as I do, use it early (pre niob ;) ) to work out the normal DM ca's in a save way.

iron ore and talisman (take grunwald portal west) because elementals and humans

troll teeth (take grunwald portal east) goblins

^^^ so those you just go west and kill things and then teleport back to the portal and go east. then rinse and repeat

Those are the only trophies I ever harvested...

• Like! 1
  • 2 years later...

I would like to ask you, gents, have somebody carried forward such build, will berserk be viable on plat and/or niob with the current 1.6 patch, I have created a DM with accent on dragon aspect, but I dunno what skills should I prioritize - I have currently invested in Alchemy, EP, dragon lore+focus, armor, staffs... 4 left to go...