Are there any more recent ARPGs than Sacred 2 that I missed?

Asking here because you folks are probably the most familiar with the less-known examples of the genre, seeing as how y'all are dedicated fans of Sacred 2, which was (at least stateside) a pretty obscure release.

The playing field for this type of game seems relatively limited. Right now, the only ones I know of off the top of my head are Torchlight 2, Grim Dawn (as the spiritual successor to Titan Quest, I backed that one up back when it was in Kickstarter), Diablo 3, and Path of Exile; the latter 2 are pretty off-limits for me, though, as I am not able to online 24/7 (the perils of being in the Navy). Recently I've been eyeballing the Van Helsing games, as they seem like a competent dungeon-crawler, and will probably be grabbing them before soon. Other than that, though... I feel like there's nothing really out there.

So, any gems from call it 2010 onward? Preferably offline-compatible for the reasons above. I'm purposely omitting anything that's sprite-based/2D, simply because the few I've tried I just can't get into -- Diablo 2 is the exception, simply because I grew up playing it, but other than that everything from that era is just too 'muddy' for me to play and have fun with.

• Like! 1

The really recent ARPG's tend to be going with the WASD, over the shoulder style games, rather than point and click style. The exceptions are the ones you've listed there.

That being said, I recommend Kingdoms of Amalur to anyone who will listen. HUGE game, and criminally underrated.

You should also try out Shadows: Heretic Kingdoms, which is a very recent sequel to an older ARPG from about 15 years ago called Heretic Kingdoms: The Inquisition (also a good one but a bit dated).

• Like! 1

And that's a shame, really. I'm not opposed to games like that -- Dragon Age: Inquisition is a great example of what I term an "offline MMO", where you do the third-person thing with dice-roll attacking (opposed to real-time, like say Elder Scrolls) -- but I really sometimes just feel like going through the admittedly mindless clickfests of isometrics. There's something soothing about it, especially playing a new IP and/or playing a game I have before that's been heavily modded to feel radically different, such that I get that sense of progression and find out what cool new fireworks I can unleash on the screen.

It might also be something along the lines of simplicity. You've only gotta think in two dimensions, really -- up-down, left-right. Sure, the 3D rendering adds terrain and such, but you can see everything going on in the screen.

I dunno, man, I'm just crossing my fingers that the genre doesn't die out entirely for being too complicated. Having to min/max stat and skill distros, and compare +5% to +20 damage gear to each other, is probably being viewed by devs as being far too nuanced for their main market groups, which is a real shame.

Well, if we push back your cutoff year to, say 2005 or so, then there's a few more isometric ARPG's I could mention that have some value.

Silverfall + Earth Awakening Expansion

The Chosen: Well of Souls

Legend: Hand of God

Loki: Heroes of Mythology (a poor man's Titan Quest)

Din's Curse + Demon War Expansion

Kivi's Underworld (same devs as Din's Curse, don't bother with one if you didn't like the other)

Inquisitor (actually recent but has an older 2D look)

They can all get kind of grindy, and aren't exactly stellar in quality, otherwise more people would know the names. But I've passed many an afternoon with them and gotten some enjoyment out of it.

Edited by Flix
  • Like! 1

I was looking for upcoming rpg games this year

There's some that look promising. Only played a little of torchlight and TQ, but there's a few mods out there that you might have missed. This thread leaves me wanting an update on UnBended ;(
Also, played Loki ... had potential with good combat arts and monsters but the save system was awful.
  • Like! 1

I currently have my eye on a game called Sui Generis. It looks dark enough for me, but I don't have a tremendous amount of faith in Alphas these days.

http://www.baremettle.com/sg/home/

Chrona just posted on DarkMatters bout it here as well today:

http://darkmatters.org/forums/index.php?/topic/21047-sui-generis/&do=findComment&comment=6978098

:)

gogo