Ranged weapons - how to find good bow or blow pipe?

Veracious

Modding has allowed me to change the type and quantity of equipment drops while I play and I still can't seem to find a good bow or blowpipe to use on my range dryad. I have tried dropping Uniques and sets and then turned them off and dropped rares only. Just can't seem to find a decent weapon. Any suggestions? I'm level 75 by the way and in gold. Still trying to beat Carnach.

(Please make a backup of any files you are possibly going to edit!)

The easiest way to get a specific item or even whole sets, is adding it as reward to a silly side quest inside the quest.txt (scripts/server folder). The most fitting quest for this purpose is the Rune tutorial. (if you did it in campaign mode already, just start a new game on a different difficulty or a simple Free Play game on LAN).

First of all, you need to find the blueprint ID of the item you wish to get.

For example 4109 is the ID for Horns of the Forest God.

Now search for the reward script for your class of the quest needed:

Use the search function and look for : "S_HE_2c_DY_nn-Tutorial_Runemaster_Runedrop",

(note: DY stands for dryad, thus apply the same logic on any other character)

You'll find yourself infront of this:

quest.createQuest(3081, {
id = 3081,
name = "S_HE_2c_DY_nn-Tutorial_Runemaster_Runedrop",
questtype = 3,
silent=1,
ismainquest = 0,
mainquestchapter = 0,
questbookstrategy = 0,
continues_quest_id = 946,
continues_bookentry = 2891,
forpathnot = 0,
reservedforpath = 0,
reservedforhero = 2,
reservedforgod = 0,
reward_exp=0,
reward_gold=0,
reward_drop=0,
reward_attr=0,
reward_skill=0,
report_required = 0,
dangerclass=1,
author_ready = 0,
qa_ready = 0,
releasestage = 30,
progress = 0,
autostart = 0,
anyprequest = 0,
showdlgonwin = 0,
lostondecline = 0,
rewards = {
{1491,0},
{1479,0},
},

The final numbers you see there (1491 and 1479) are the blueprint IDs of the oirignal rewards for the quest, which are usually two runes for your class. The 0s following the ID stand for the quantity. 0 by default means 1 item only. switch to 2 if you want to get the reward twice, et caetera.

Switch the IDs with those of the items you want to obtain and save the file.

Thus: 1491 -> 4109 .

Start a new game, complete the quest and pick up your reward, done.

This method may seem a little unorthodox and complicated, but trust me when you get used to it, it will be much faster than attempting to drop a whole set randomly from mobs.

Edited by DeathAngel7

Fine, but this is like cheating... :mellow:
The best method to find valuables is already offered by the game: tenacity and perseverance: D When your character is strong, well-skilled and with a good survival bonus, valuables arrive without problems, these "tricks" are not necessary. For me it is much more satisfying than cheating

@Veracious: Can you post here your Dryad build? I'm expert in Dryads :laugh: I can gave to you some tips....my new Dryad is now at level 29 and she's already almost immortal

Edited by LilaGrey

Oh man. It's been a while. I'll have to go look her up. I was asking this on the chance I get inspired to go play her again. I check in here a lot since I quit Facebook so I come up with a lot of questions even if I don't play.

Although you might think it's cheating this is a very mod favoring community and I have done such as well. I usually play classic un modded but I can't get passed carnach in gold and I just want a stronger weapon so I can go level and then kill him. I hate snags and drops are always the most annoying snag.

What weapon is best? A rare bow/blowpipe or is there a great unique or set one I should aim for?

Dragon Brother summed it up best. You need a shopper for blowpipes. To beat the carnach I'd suggest the following

Find a LL% Shuriken. At gold you should find 1.5, maybe 1.7%. Use ravaged impact with double hit mod. Try and get extra HP and fire resistance amulets. Use goldenglade touch and make sure you have red relics. If you can't find LL% Shurikens try get a weapon with ice damage and socket an ice crystal.

Oh man. It's been a while. I'll have to go look her up. I was asking this on the chance I get inspired to go play her again. I check in here a lot since I quit Facebook so I come up with a lot of questions even if I don't play.

Although you might think it's cheating this is a very mod favoring community and I have done such as well. I usually play classic un modded but I can't get passed carnach in gold and I just want a stronger weapon so I can go level and then kill him. I hate snags and drops are always the most annoying snag.

What weapon is best? A rare bow/blowpipe or is there a great unique or set one I should aim for?

Use a long bow (highest damage weapon a Dryad can use), and change the damage with smithing (Caranch is weak against ICE damage)

You MUST have Goldenglade touch modded with FLOW, PERSEVERE and DILIGENCE, this mod choices makes the dryad almost immortal even at early levels

Dragon Brother summed it up best. You need a shopper for blowpipes. To beat the carnach I'd suggest the following

Find a LL% Shuriken. At gold you should find 1.5, maybe 1.7%. Use ravaged impact with double hit mod. Try and get extra HP and fire resistance amulets. Use goldenglade touch and make sure you have red relics. If you can't find LL% Shurikens try get a weapon with ice damage and socket an ice crystal.

You know I think I do have shuriken on her with LL. Somehow he's doing way too much damage to leech back. It crazy. I'm pretty sure I used all the fire resist and fire mitigate I could find. I'll get back here when I can look up her actual stats and build.

• Like! 1

Some one else hss said that even though bark reduces your fire resist that the defense bonus was still needed but u did try both ways. Problem is that I have to keep replenishing my survival bonus. My armor is pretty good and use all the fire defense I can get. Maybe I'm just bad lol. Thanks for the help. I'll keep you posted when I get back to it.

That's the life regen art right? Yes I always have that running.

I see...did you took the "persevere" mod? It's really important for protection against spells and additional damage effects (poison, burn freeze, weaken)

Look...if you want to send me your game saves, I'll check your Dryad to see what's wrong with her (I will not change anything...I only want to see the build, the equipment and choices you made about the CA mods)

Edited by LilaGrey
  • Like! 1

That's the life regen art right? Yes I always have that running.

I see...did you took the "persevere" mod? It's really important for protection against spells and additional damage effects (poison, burn freeze, weaken)

Look...if you want to send me your game saves, I'll check your Dryad to see what's wrong with her (I will not change anything...I only want to see the build, the equipment and choices you made about the CA mods)

Like I was saying this is all speculative because I haven't actually been playing. I also don't know how to upload my saves for you. When I decide to play again I'll leave my build here for you to read. Thanks for your help.

• 1 month later...

I don't know if I'm late to the party on this, but I"m running a Capricious Dryad that just got into platinum. I have nature lore and focus to mod my nature buffs, mostly put points into focus. I put one point into tangled vine for the duration upgrade. This way, when I have to, I can vine a boss, pop acute mind for the regen buff, hit it with black curse, then get around 4 ravaged blows off (with regen per hit), then vine and curse again. For bosses that don't do too much damage, I get by with Goldenglade touch making me immortal. A few mobs, like the scarab riders and some traps, I swap over to a spear because they don't seem to take damage from blowpipes.

This is my build so far, and I welcome any input from anyone (Dryad is on PS3)

Dryad 63 light

capricious hunter focus 56

tactics lore 56

concentration 4

nature weaver focus 57

ranged weapons 5

spell resistance 10

enhanced perception 22

nature weaver lore 24

speed lore 1

(armor lore at 65)

I went after the buffs and ravaged impact first, then a point in tangled vine for bosses, then I modded darting assault, which helps keep me from wasting damage on undead, and I worked on amping up acute mind and goldenglade touch. I'm really lacking in defense against big hitters, but I'm hoping armor lore will solve that. I am somewhat concerned that my offense could cap out low without anything to give extra ranks of black curse.