[Issue]a question about shadow

Sacred 2 has one issue always boring me.

At day, the character's shadow is dark and black, looks very realistic. But when at evening/night/or a dark place, the shadow becomes very light(looks like even no shadow at all, very light, hard to see it), the character looks like has no shadow and very unrealistic.

Any solution?

Doesn't it make it sense to have a darker shadow during the day with the sun shining down on you?

I mean, at dark place such as night or evening, character's shadow should be more obvious (blacker,darker) . Edited by yexian7
  • Like! 1

Doesn't it make it sense to have a darker shadow during the day with the sun shining down on you?

I mean, at dark place such as night or evening, character's shadow should be more obvious (blacker,darker) .

In fact no.

Shadow are darker in bright sun than in darkness because of contrast. The darker the surrounding is, the less visible the shadow is.

In game, there's no shadow if the only light source is the character (caves, dungeon, ...). The character is the light source as it don't have a lantern or something equivalent. So when the game determine what shadow is projected, it don't draw any for the character.

• Like! 1

I mean, at dark place such as night or evening, character's shadow should be more obvious (blacker,darker) .
In fact no.

Shadow are darker in bright sun than in darkness because of contrast. The darker the surrounding is, the less visible the shadow is.

In game, there's no shadow if the only light source is the character (caves, dungeon, ...). The character is the light source as it don't have a lantern or something equivalent. So when the game determine what shadow is projected, it don't draw any for the character.

I know the light principle,I understand what your meaning.

A man in a cave or night, he is as dark as his shadow (all totally black), you can't see anything. But game will not make vision so dark, everything's brightness(both character and shadow) all becomes lighter, then the shadow looks unrealistic, this is why.

Simply say, a character with no shadow(looks like), looks very terrible.

Solution? Yes solution exist,

Here it is: Go to the black/Red forest (in game, not red forest near Chernobyl :)

TOTTALY diferent brightness MUCH more dark.

I think that is only "solution of this problem, I have the same problem. Look on Sacred 1 and Sacred 2 totally different in that issue.

Solution? Yes solution exist,

Here it is: Go to the black/Red forest (in game, not red forest near Chernobyl :)

TOTTALY diferent brightness MUCH more dark.

I think that is only "solution of this problem, I have the same problem. Look on Sacred 1 and Sacred 2 totally different in that issue.

I have a long time no play Sacred 2 and can't remember the place you said. But this seems not a solution, right? :)

I recommend setting up a Photobucket acount or something to use picture URL links, or renaming your files in the archives you post for all to see.

By the looks of pictures, I understand you just want the night/cave lighting to be A LOT more darker, so that the day shadow doesn't become less dark. Correct?

Edited by SX255

I recommend setting up a Photobucket acount or something to use picture URL links, or renaming your files in the archives you post for all to see.

By the looks of pictures, I understand you just want the night/cave lighting to be A LOT more darker, so that the day shadow doesn't become less dark. Correct?

right, a character with no shadow(looks like), terrible. but seems no solution, I can't find any clue.

I remember a common mod in D2 that removed most of light in dungeon/cave (outide of lantern, ...) along some change to base light radius. It made really creepy & dangerous dungeon but with normal aggro radius.

Hehe, yeah, sounds similar to skyrim's realistic lighting mod, but it's not this topic meaning. I just need a little fix about shadow's brightness, hope modders here can give me some suggestions or cules.

anyone knows?

Usually Flix is the guy you want when discussing what code is moddable, and which isn't. I don't know why he hasn't returned to make suggestions. Try asking him about "changing shadow or lighting density for night and cave areas" through personal private message and then get back to us.

I haven't the slightest clue how to change shadows in the game. They're not just textures you can darken or listed in a text file through which you can set "darker at night = 1". I see some shadow shaders listed in surface.txt but I wouldn't know where to begin with changing shaders.

Mainly though, I don't think there's an issue that needs to fixed in the first place, so I haven't looked into it very deeply, and probably won't in the future.

• Like! 1

yes in the grafics setting. And surely more in option.txt

What about lowering it for just night time and in caves? Is that possible?

Edited by SX255

Gamma setting in game can explain that the shadow problem is only here at night. reducing it a little might help and shouldn't be visible at day time.

Gamma seems effects full screen brightness, not only shadow, contrast will not be changed. I have no Sacred 2 on hand now, I may give it a try at future.

Here are some Gamma darker PSs https://mega.co.nz/#!zgN0naiI!Oz3i19MgM_-9bUyFdzrVwdVGgSOlXxGosErRT8dbf_g

And something about Gamma and Shadow I found in options.txt:

video = {

detail_env = 33,

detail_fx = 1,

detail_gfx = 1,

detail_grass = 700,

detail_grnd = 2,

detail_light = 33,

detail_physx = 0,

detail_shd = 4,

detail_tex = 3,

fsaa = 2,