Windows 10 available July 29th

Knuckles

For the first year of release it's a free upgrade for Win 7 and 8 users.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-10-upgrade

Still have Win 7 here, never saw anything in Win 8 that made me want to upgrade. But it's a free and since Win 7 will probably lose support in a few years I'll be getting it.

Anyone else going to grab it as soon as it's available?

• Like! 1

I had the icon appear in my sys tray yesterday. I signed up. I figure it's either get it now for free or have to pay later, so why not?

• Like! 1

I like Windows 7, but I didn't like what I was reading about Windows 8. As it is, I already have to make a lot of customizations with 3rd party programs to get the UI and Windows Explorer running like I want them. I'll have to read up on functionality.

• Like! 1

Set and stoked!

Saw the offer last night on my comp and signed up.

I hated windows eight so much on my comp, reverted my comp back to Windows 7...the search on it is so awesome, plus the start button... glad to see from some previews that win 10's gonna have it as well.

Kinda stoked to see what the new microsoft browser is gonna feel like but not thinking much is gonna best Chrome.

:)

gogo

want to sign up, but it is still not clear, how this free update will work.

what is with a new installation of your OS? can I install then Win 10 with a key I get, is my Win 7 version still operational?

what I have seen and read so far wants me to upgrade to 10, but what is in 3(?) years if I have to swap mainboard or SSD?

• Like! 1

Evidently this "free Win10 upgrade" is popping up everywhere.

No, thank you.

I don’t even need support for my rig. It runs just fine. Free or not, my current rig will be sufficient enough for the next 2 years, at which point buying a new custom rig with an updated graphics card (and most likely mandatory new motherboard update) will probably be the best decision for an upgrade anyway. In the mean time I will wait for the extended user end reviews.

Windows 10:)

Hell I am still using Windows XP as my system can't manage Win7!!

Besides which most of my favourite software and games struggle or won't work under Win7 and definitely not under 64bit. I have a Win7 machine but have to use my WinXP 32bit machine to install stuff then transfer it to my Win7 64bit machine via flashdrive. So what is wrong with XP? Win7 uses over double the resources of WinXP so God know how much Win10 will use.

Dang newfangled ideas. I agree with the system annalyst who told me that the 2 most frightening words in the english language are "NEW" and "IMPROVED"!!!

Edited by podgie_bear
  • Like! 1

I like Windows 7, but I didn't like what I was reading about Windows 8. As it is, I already have to make a lot of customizations with 3rd party programs to get the UI and Windows Explorer running like I want them. I'll have to read up on functionality.

FWIW, Windows 8 had some issues - but 8.1 actually is pretty good. Been using it for 6 months and it works rather nicely. The primary change in Windows 10 will be that the "start" menu will kinda go back to the way it was. It will still be tiled apps, but the tiles will show up in a small box - like in Windows 7 and before. That is, unless you get one of those convertible laptops (like the MS Surface) where the Keyboard can detach. Once you remove the kb, the start menu reverts to Windows 8.x style - which makes SENSE...

Windows 10:)

Hell I am still using Windows XP as my system can't manage Win7!

Besides which most of my favourite software and games struggle or won't work under Win7 and definitely not under 64bit. I have a Win7 machine but have to use my WinXP 32bit machine to install stuff then transfer it to my Win7 64bit machine via flashdrive. So what is wrong with XP? Win7 uses over double the resources of WinXP so God know how much Win10 will use.

Dang newfangled ideas. I agree with the system annalyst who told me that the 2 most frightening words in the english language are "NEW" and "IMPROVED"!

Damn... How old is that system? Good grief. My older system (now going on 7 or 8 yrs old now) could handle Windows 7 and 8 without issue.

As for what's wrong with XP.... I could give a rather lengthy list - FAR too long to post here. But some of the highlights are:

1.) XP is NOT secure. It's security is an afterthought. Namely, security was introduced with SP 2. Prior to that, just connecting your XP box to the Internet was dangerous. Even after SP 2, security still had plenty of holes. Most people ran XP in Admin mode - which in spite of what experts recommended, was typical. This allows malware to install itself without permission on your system. One bad click on a link and your system is compromised.

2.) Drivers... XP has what are known as Kernal mode drivers. Kernal mode, means the driver installs itself as part of the system kernal - the core of the OS. Seems like a good idea - every version of Windows up to XP used that. The problem is, if the driver crashes - it brings the entire system to a halt - with the now infamous Blue Screen of Death. Introduced in Windows Vista, User mode drivers changed all that. User Mode means the driver is now loaded as part of the system UI. If the driver crashes, it's not such a major problem. You get a message saying the driver crashed and will be restarted. Your hard work will NOT go poof along with your Windows session.

That, btw, was the primary reason why Vista was so poorly received. Many vendors took their sweet time getting drivers ready for Vista - some taking 9 months or longer to get working drivers on the market. HP, for example, took that long to produce Windows Vista compliant drivers for their Color Laserjet 1600 printer. Seriously... 9 MONTHS? HP chose NOT to participate in the beta process saying the driver model was changing almost every day - which is utter bull... Nvidia, ATI and Intel were able to produce drivers for their graphics cards during this time. Realtek were able to produce audio drivers. HP was just too lazy.

3.) Windows XP is NO LONGER SUPPORTED. Took Microsoft long enough, but they finally killed the beast that would not die off.. New versions of software - like MS Office - no longer work with XP. In fact, Office 2013 requires Windows 7 or 8.x or 10. This is a trend that will likely continue. Ding dong, the witch is DEAD! :)

That said, XP sucks rotten eggs.

Now then, you say you have to install stuff by way of your XP box and then transfer it by way of flash drive to your 7 box..? That doesn't sound like it would work too well. Moving programs from one system to another can work OK for just copying the program, DLLs and other support files, but it doesn't transfer the registry entries for that system. created during installation. That can lead to all manner of problems.

Edited by wolfie2kX
  • Like! 1

Damn... How old is that system? Good grief. My older system (now going on 7 or 8 yrs old now) could handle Windows 7 and 8 without issue.

1.73Ghz Intel, 1Gb RAM, 128Mb integrated graphics, 30Gb Hardrive. Laptop made before they decided to go for slimline, weighs exactly 6lbs and has 14 inch screen supporting 1400x1050 resolution. Was made in 2003/4 I believe.

Edited by podgie_bear

Poor security.

Last to have the blue screen of death driver design.

Not supported for latest software.

I'm curious now. What else bugged you with XP?

3.) Windows XP is NO LONGER SUPPORTED. Took Microsoft long enough, but they finally killed the beast that would not die off.. New versions of software - like MS Office - no longer work with XP. In fact, Office 2013 requires Windows 7 or 8.x or 10. This is a trend that will likely continue. Ding dong, the witch is DEAD! :)

So by "not being supported" people mean "we stopped taking into account that OS during software development"? Huh. I thought it would be more than that.

By the way, do you have to buy the NEW latest version of the MS Office with the free update? frak that. I still use the good old Office 2003 with modern format support. At least this way I know where the page formatting settings are. Hate the simplified clutter 2007 redesign in office. But I do like the Win7 MS Paint over the simple WinXP MS Paint.

1.73Ghz Intel, 1Gb RAM, 128Mb integrated graphics, 30Gb Hardrive. Laptop made before they decided to go for slimline, weighs exactly 6lbs and has 14 inch screen supporting 1400x1050 resolution. Was made in 2003/4 I believe.

10 years. That is one strong well maintained machine.

• Like! 1

Egad... That system IS rather ancient by modern standards.

How old is the Windows 7 system?

The good news - that laptop might be upgradeable. Tho, to be honest, you'd be better off investing your duckets in something a bit newer. The laptop I have has Win 8.1, 6 GB RAM, latest generation I3 chip, Got it used for about $250 and hardly weighs anything. Oh.. Its also got a touch screen, tho the keyboard is permanently attached.

Poor security.

Last to have the blue screen of death driver design.

Not supported for latest software.

I'm curious now. What else bugged you with XP?

So by "not being supported" people mean "we stopped taking into account that OS during software development"? Huh. I thought it would be more than that.

By the way, do you have to buy the NEW latest version of the MS Office with the free update? frak that. I still use the good old Office 2003 with modern format support. At least this way I know where the page formatting settings are. Hate the simplified clutter 2007 redesign in office. But I do like the Win7 MS Paint over the simple WinXP MS Paint.

Truth be told, XP is not the latest version of Windows to have a BSOD. I've seen one on Windows Vista - tho that particular one had to do with a hard drive that was failing. If you see a BSOD on a Windows Vista or later system, odds are it's hardware related - and in that case, time to replace the offending bit of hardware. I'd imagine 7, 8 and 10 will also feature a BSoD mechanism that's somewhat similar to the one from Vista for the same sort of reasons...

Yes, that would be part of what Microsoft would be doing - no longer considering XP as an option for installation. But it goes further than that. If some enterprising skript kiddie manages to find another killer exploit, you can't get a patch to block it.

For what it's worth, no, you don't NEED to buy a new version of Office to use on the latest version of Windows. I'm sure Office 2003 will still install on Windows 10.

Though, I'm sure Microsoft would LOVE it if you did. Heck, I'm able to run PaintShop Pro 7 on my Win 8.1 system without any issues. And that one came out oh.. about 2001.

Truth be told, I'm using Office 2013 Pro Plus on my new system. I managed to get a copy of that for $40 when I was enrolled in the Office 2010 course I took at the local college. It's actually pretty cool. The ribbon is your friend. It's not as scary as some people make it out to be. It's very logically put together and context sensitive. So if you're working on a table, you get a menu tab with table related stuff on it. When you're working on a picture, the picture menu tab pops up. Ditto for other specialized things like charts and the like.

I'll have to go along with you - the 2007 version of Office wasn't that good, but the 2010 and 2013 versions are immensely better. Consider the 2007 ribbon to be like Vista - with issues. But the 2010 and 13 versions are immensely better. And myself, I prefer the 2013 version over 2000 - 2003 versions. Consider the following picture... Where do you think the document formatting options are?

post-14586-0-03565800-1433382907_thumb.jpg

Bonus points if you said the "Design" tab... :) Actually, it's split between the Design tab and Page Layout.

post-14586-0-87368800-1433383433_thumb.jpg

The version of Paint in 8.1 is a bit better than the one in 7. Tho, for my needs, Paint is too simple a program. Need more advanced features than MS bakes into the program.

All in all, Windows and Office are getting better..

Edited by wolfie2kX
  • Like! 1

I've read in the development and testing of Windows 10, that the preview version has a way to disable the entire OS by the designers. I can guarantee that this will secretly stay in Windows 10 actual release and once the OS is deemed "no longer supported" the designers turn on the "disable OS" and force you to get the newest version of their software.

• Like! 1

latest news:

Windows 10 will be able to have a full install via iso-files, after (!) getting updated successful. the old 7/8-key will become invalid, so a downgrade afterwards will be impossible.

still not clear is "binded to the lifetime of the device", which could mean that the change of hardware could force the user to buy a new license (especially mainboard). this sounds silly, because a lot of people think of buying the new Skylake-platform this autumn... :nooo:

• Like! 1

The good news - that laptop might be upgradeable. Tho, to be honest, you'd be better off investing your duckets in something a bit newer. The laptop I have has Win 8.1, 6 GB RAM, latest generation I3 chip, Got it used for about $250 and hardly weighs anything. Oh.. Its also got a touch screen, tho the keyboard is permanently attached.

The bad news is that that laptop IS already upgraded to the max, lol.

I did have a desktop with Win7, but it repeatedly BSOD'd (black screen) even after factory reset with no software but windows on it! That's why I am still with my little XP laptop, because it works everytime, is compatible with virtually everything I use and has never ever given me any problems. Als my finances are stretched so tight that unless it is bargain basement prices, I can't afford a new computer.

Edited by podgie_bear

latest news:

Windows 10 will be able to have a full install via iso-files, after (!) getting updated successful. the old 7/8-key will become invalid, so a downgrade afterwards will be impossible.

still not clear is "binded to the lifetime of the device", which could mean that the change of hardware could force the user to buy a new license (especially mainboard). this sounds silly, because a lot of people think of buying the new Skylake-platform this autumn... :nooo:

Windows beta versions for Vista, 7 and 8 all had a "drop dead" date. Going to assume the 10 beta/preview has the same thing. What this means is simple - Once the expiration date comes and goes - you can boot the system but after 1 hour, it will shut itself off. Long enough to maybe get your data off. but not much more...

Windows 8 already has some of this built in. Systems with the new EFI BIOS store the product key there instead of in the registry. Once a new product key is added to a system, it overwrites the one that's there and poof, it's gone. and getting into the EFI BIOS isn't as easy as getting into the old style BIOS.

I did have a desktop with Win7, but it repeatedly BSOD'd (black screen) even after factory reset with no software but windows on it! That's why I am still with my little XP laptop, because it works everytime, is compatible with virtually everything I use and has never ever given me any problems. Als my finances are stretched so tight that unless it is bargain basement prices, I can't afford a new computer.

Sounds like there's some hardware flaking out on you.. Might want to have a tech have a look at it..

Sounds like there's some hardware flaking out on you.. Might want to have a tech have a look at it..

I did and was told "bloody Win7, always have people bringing in Win7 machines with software issues.". They took the machine back and refunded me. I later learned that they solved the issue eventually by wiping hardrive and installing a different copy of Win7.

I did and was told "bloody Win7, always have people bringing in Win7 machines with software issues.". They took the machine back and refunded me. I later learned that they solved the issue eventually by wiping hardrive and installing a different copy of Win7.

OK.. So.. This system wasn't a name brand box (I.e. Dell, HP, Lenovo, etc...) but some "custom" job...

Sounds like the people involved were using some questionable hardware. In my experience, Windows 7 is rock solid.. The only issues I've had were with flakey hardware that was on it's last leg. All copies of Windows 7 are the same - even between the various editions, the core of the OS is identical. The only difference is what features are unlocked by the product key...

At least you got your money back..

OK.. So.. This system wasn't a name brand box (I.e. Dell, HP, Lenovo, etc...) but some "custom" job...

Sounds like the people involved were using some questionable hardware. In my experience, Windows 7 is rock solid.. The only issues I've had were with flakey hardware that was on it's last leg. All copies of Windows 7 are the same - even between the various editions, the core of the OS is identical. The only difference is what features are unlocked by the product key...

At least you got your money back..

It was a Packard Bell! Returned after many phone calls to both the tech dept of the store that sold it and to Acer helpline (They have taken over Packard Bell now). They told me to return via the store I bought it from, and the "Tech Guys" instore help desk are the ones who made the comments about Win7.

Edited by podgie_bear

It was a Packard Bell! Returned after many phone calls to both the tech dept of the store that sold it and to Acer helpline (They have taken over Packard Bell now). They told me to return via the store I bought it from, and the "Tech Guys" instore help desk are the ones who made the comments about Win7.

LOL Say no more.. All you had to say was "Packard Bell"..

Packard Bell systems in the US had a seriously bad rep for being piece of crap.

From Wikipedia:

In 1995, Compaq sued Packard Bell for not disclosing that Packard Bell computers incorporated used parts. This practice was, in fact, widespread in the computer industry including Compaq itself. However, unlike its rival companies, Packard Bell was judged not to have advertised the practice sufficiently in its warranties (Compaq, for instance, disclosed it in the warranty statement). The company was the subject of several lawsuits, and paid millions of dollars in settlements. In 2005, PC World Magazine ranked the Packard Bell computers of 1986–1996 as the worst PCs manufactured of all time. In addition, one out of six Packard Bell PCs sold at retail was returned, a rate double the industry average.

It goes on to say Packard Bell stopped selling PCs in the US in 2000. Back in the day, we computer savvy people used to call them Pukard Hells. Sounds like in the last 15 years, not much has changed.. They still suck..

Anyhow.. For the money you spent on that kind of system, you can probably build your own desktop OR you can simply buy a slightly used refurbished laptop like the one I've got here. It set me back about $265 USD and positively rocks.

It's a Lenovo (formerly IBM) 15.6" laptop with touch screen, 6 GB of RAM, 500 GB hard drive and Windows 8.1. Been using it since Christmas 2014 and works like a charm.

LOL Say no more.. All you had to say was "Packard Bell"..

Packard Bell systems in the US had a seriously bad rep for being piece of crap.

From Wikipedia:

>>>In 1995, Compaq sued Packard Bell for not disclosing that Packard Bell computers incorporated used parts. This practice was, in fact, widespread in the computer industry including Compaq itself. However, unlike its rival companies, Packard Bell was judged not to have advertised the practice sufficiently in its warranties (Compaq, for instance, disclosed it in the warranty statement). The company was the subject of several lawsuits, and paid millions of dollars in settlements. In 2005, PC World Magazine ranked the Packard Bell computers of 1986–1996 as the worst PCs manufactured of all time. In addition, one out of six Packard Bell PCs sold at retail was returned, a rate double the industry average.

It goes on to say Packard Bell stopped selling PCs in the US in 2000. Back in the day, we computer savvy people used to call them Pukard Hells. Sounds like in the last 15 years, not much has changed.. They still suck..

Anyhow.. For the money you spent on that kind of system, you can probably build your own desktop OR you can simply buy a slightly used refurbished laptop like the one I've got here. It set me back about $265 USD and positively rocks.

It's a Lenovo (formerly IBM) 15.6" laptop with touch screen, 6 GB of RAM, 500 GB hard drive and Windows 8.1. Been using it since Christmas 2014 and works like a charm.

That hardly explains why just installing a different copy of Win7 fixed all the problems though does it? And considering the recent aricles warning about the unsecure "backdoors" built into Lenovos, are you really sure you should advise biuying one?

I am looking at a rebuilt laptop now, and considering whether I want it using Linux rather than Windows. I had a good look at Win8.1 and found it to be pretty much a waste of time since almost all of the "improvements" are in areas I am never going to use. I browse the internet, and I play games, period. I avoid Facebook, Twitter and all social networking like the plague, so what does Win8 etc offer me apart from incompatability with almost all my old and cherished software, nearly all of which it appears will run under Wine?

Edited by podgie_bear