Need some advice on trying Sacred again

I played Sacred Gold a year ago. Put in 100+ hours, had a lot of fun, but burned myself out. In all that time, I made absolutely no progress in the game. I kept starting new characters, trying them out, then moving onto a new idea. I want to give this game another go, but a little more focused. It looks like my old characters have disappeared (may have accidentally deleted them), so I have to start again based on my memories/feelings of the classes.

Just a simple question to begin. I wrote down the builds I used at the time, but there is something in my notation I do not remember the significance of. I note something about skills at levels 3, 12 and 30, but cannot remember what that was about. Is that when you start getting extra skill points (eg 3/level from lvl12)?

To recollection, I did not much enjoy the Dark Elf, Gladiator, or Vampiress and, while I enjoyed mucking around with the Battle Mage, Dwarf, I do not think they would be a good choice for focusing on play ;) The characters I most enjoyed playing were a Hellcaster Daemon, a Hybrid Seraphim and a Ranged (Bow) Wood Elf. I just want to check my ideas with them are good ones:

• Daemon: I was primarily sitting in Battle Form with Infernal Power as my buff, running around with Blazing Discs and Hellspheres (to recollection, they were each better suited to different circumstances) and using Abysmal Chior as an Area of Effect. To recollection, this was fairly powerful in most situations.
  • Seraphim: My original concept was using Attack, Lightning Bolt and Celestial Light with RBoL as the primary buff. I recall finding this extremely hard going and eventually gave up due to the insane difficulty. Was this flawed at the conceptual level, the player experience level, or just a matter of tweaking build/equipment?
  • Wood Elf: I used Multiple Shot as my primary buff, then spammed either Explosive Arrow (single target) or Penetrating Arrow (Area of Effect). I used Companion of the Woods, but seem to recall it being super-squishy. I also used Spider Arrow situationally, to distract especially difficult opponents. I made the most progress with this character last time, but kept wanting to move onto something more varied.

I love the Seraphim in this series and would love to start with that class, but am a little hesitant given how much difficulty I had the last time. I am fairly split between Daemon and Wood Elf, not really able to pick between them (assuming my build concepts are solid).

Just a simple question to begin. I wrote down the builds I used at the time, but there is something in my notation I do not remember the significance of. I note something about skills at levels 3, 12 and 30, but cannot remember what that was about. Is that when you start getting extra skill points (eg 3/level from lvl12)?

Sacred: Skills

Those are the levels at which you can choose a new skill to add your build.

As for the specific builds, I had massive success with Multiple Shot/Pentrating Arrow, using Quick as a Flash as a buff and Companion of the Woods. For the Unicorn, I kept as high level as possible, since there's really no penalty.

I failed miserably at my attempt at a fire Daemon. Never could get that character to a powerful state. Never played the Seraphim beyond the demo.

• Like! 1

You only get to add 6 skills out of 13 to your PC, and the last one is unlocked at level 50. So study up a bit on that table, before committing to character.

Been playing a Daemon of late. Gotten as far as the Fire element so far. I use Hellspheres liberally. I have gotten somewhat lucky so far - got a nice handweapon that had 15% Life Leech early on. :drool:

At this point, I've kinda moved onto Arnum's big sword. The hell spheres are da bomb when it comes to dealing with dragons. Fire one off and back away and let it do its thing. Lather, Rinse Repeat until the big lizard's toast...

Seraphim: I played this through a few times. It's not really that hard. I used Energy Bolts liberally. The BFG in this game is kind of a joke. Big ol' honkin' gun but the shots are so slow, you can outrun them (enemies frequently do just that.)

Wood Elf: I kinda got bored playing this one. But ,ye, I recall using most of the same skills.

• Like! 1

Been playing a Daemon of late. Gotten as far as the Fire element so far. I use Hellspheres liberally. I have gotten somewhat lucky so far - got a nice handweapon that had 15% Life Leech early on. :drool:

At this point, I've kinda moved onto Arnum's big sword. The hell spheres are da bomb when it comes to dealing with dragons. Fire one off and back away and let it do its thing. Lather, Rinse Repeat until the big lizard's toast...

Seraphim: I played this through a few times. It's not really that hard. I used Energy Bolts liberally. The BFG in this game is kind of a joke. Big ol' honkin' gun but the shots are so slow, you can outrun them (enemies frequently do just that.)

Wood Elf: I kinda got bored playing this one. But ,ye, I recall using most of the same skills.

I remember being absolutely fanatical about the style of hell spheres when they first appeared in this game. Typical terrific Sacred style sounds, and just loved the way they ai'd in on stuff while we waited around.

A lot of other games have AI seek n' destroy CA's, but hellspheres from this game nailed it

:)

gogo

For the most part, yeh.. It's awesome. but there are a few spots it doesn't quite work 100% as you might expect.

1.) DeMoreDreck's pet dragon. Fly out to one of the nearby islands using Soaring Daemon. Plant a Hellsphere and retreat a bit so the dragon doesn't blast you with fire. If you go too far, too fast - the dragon loses interest and the hellsphere doesn't attack. DOH.. So you gotta balance distance...

2.) The ice dragon near the air element just north of the Library.. Same sort of thing. Retreat back into the shelter where the element is kept after poppinig a hellsphere off outside to avoid getting crispified by dragon blast and the hellsphere may not engage the dragon, OR may wind up being blocked by a tree. Best spot to drop it is just beyond the gate. Then run back inside, past the 2nd door to avoid the flames. This will make it stop shooting the dragon, so you have to go back to the first doorway to let it do it's thing. Having Life Leech runes socketed in your gear is a must - Hellsphere will make use of this and will heal you AND you can see when the hellsphere fades away and it's time to send another one out...

The other dragon up to this point isn't a problem. Just approach D'Cay, fire off a hellsphere and run around in circles = BIG circles.. until the hellsphere runs out.. Lather, rinse, repeat until dead.

• Like! 1

If you have Aarnums sword and the full set I'd recommend using therions death from above build (thats if you haven't gone too far with the current build). Truly amazing damage, and probably one of the best mob killers in the game. Easy to find RSM on gear, and kleb dracads mending at level 67 gives +33% experience.

Just a thought if you want to play a less passive build. Seems a waste to not make full use of an Aarnums sword.

At the moment, my character's gear is limited to what all I've been able to find. I've got a few bits of Pandora's set, a shield and shoulder guards from another and Aarnum's sword and one of the rings to socket into it - which I haven't done yet.

• 9 months later...

The Blazing Disks are pretty fun, but it's frustrating to use in dungeons. I have a level 60 disc Daemon, and it was a lot of fun playing. Wood elf is fun with penetrating arrow/multiple shot or a call of the anscestors/thorn bush build. You'd be surprised how once you get to around level 30 thorn bush has an almost arcade like feel, and you can kill almost anything with just thorn bush. It hits like a truck, passes through objects, has insane range, and blows up when archers hit it for absolutely insane splash damage.