Is Alchemy worth it?

Is Alchemy worth taking? I have read through a lot of builds and rarely do I see it mentioned. Are there builds in particular that benefit more from it? Or is it just a fun skill when you have no other pressing needs?

• Like! 1

Chattius is probably the only one to positively mention alchemy. You could do a search of his name + alchemy to get a full analysis. I've only used it on a couple of builds. One was chronas dryad build with alchemy instead of EP (at level 86). The greatest positive is for evasion - having reflexes to reduce crits, dust devils and talism trophies. Yellow potion effects were boosted as well as mentors - so farming swamp and orc cave for xp was great. Nature Lore wasn't picked so ancient bark armour boost wasn't as high but iron ore trophies before boss fights helped.

The thing is you won't have much points in alchemy without having +skill items, things like bargaining, tactics and constitution are higher priority.

So I wouldn't use it as a beginner, most dryad players take EP 5 points to unlock bargaining. Your call. If you do and don't like it you could leave it as a mid level bargainer.

• Like! 1

The stumbling block for a new character w/ Alchemy is obtaining the trophies. Trophy types only drop from specific enemies, so you have to farm a good bit. It helps to know what trophies you want and where to harvest them. Early on it's easy to just have no trophies at all so it's usually better to wait to take the skill until later.

• Like! 1

Is Alchemy worth taking? I have read through a lot of builds and rarely do I see it mentioned. Are there builds in particular that benefit more from it? Or is it just a fun skill when you have no other pressing needs?

Chattius is the pro on this build as others here have noted. I actually ran a warrior/knight with this... very useful because I only wanted to create a left-click build... no CA's...for that, as Alchemy can duplicate most all CA effects in the game, it became the way to play... and on top of a horse, the build was successful...till I got bored of thunking stuff over and over again with the standard animation of hitting things with my pole arm :P

Also, while the effects of alchemy on enemies are significant, the actual animation for it is kind of waning...

Glad I tried it, but not so exciting to play... especially if thinking to get to Niob with it...but a good thought experiment

:)

gogo

• 3 weeks later...

I believe Alchemy is worth the skill choice due to the boost to potions. I've had a SP character go beyond level 100, and I never saw strong health potions to offer better healing. I am currently replaying characters with CP 1.50, and I have yet to rebuild any character past level 60 but I still believe that healing options for characters that don't have access to healing combat arts is a good plan.