Sacred 2 Memory leak fix

Hey there! I don't think you're able to post links until you've made a certain number of posts on the forums. What's the exact name of the program? I'll search for it and check it out, and post it on here if it's legit.

Edited by Flix
  • Like! 1

I had made many workarounds the last years every time I installed Sacred 2. I uninstalled Sacred 2 often because the game crashed after (10 min with PhysX) or 30-60 min (without PhysX )

I hate it.^^ Every Sacred player know this feeling^^

New install , search and many many many workarounds later I found the sacred ^^memory cleaner.

This man is so awesome he solved this f... problem. The game starts and runs and runs and runs no crash anymore, because the programm delete the memory all 5 min^^ AWESOME YEEEEHHHAAA

Here is the link.

Have fun . I have to play now ^^

Thanks Jan for brining this up, memory leaks is Sacred 2's middle name :P

Also thanks to everyone who's posted help, and a big welcome to you Jan, to DarkMatters, the Sacred forum!

:)

gogo

• Like! 1
  • 1 year later...

Hi I´m back with Win 10 ^^ The last 3 days were terrible. I tried many many different things.

Here are some points I figured out.

Don`t use " Roccat Kave XTD " - game crash after 10 - 15 min

Don`t use "4 gig patch " (it doesn`t work with Win 10 ) (10 different settings) - game crash after 1 min - 6 min without 20 - 25 min

My settings now 1 GOG version ( browser download / not gog galaxy ) for many installations (install as admin /

2 NO compatibility mode / never (I tried all) / with ca 25 min and game crash

3 "Memory cleaner" and a second one " Wise Memory Optimizer" (advanced settings you can choose auto

optimization and ram settings " without them ca 15 min

4 "Borderless Gaming" without only 1 hour.

5 and most important / I love all the flying leaves and stones but deactivate physX.

with physX and all settings above the game crashes after max 25 min. / without after 1.50 h - 2.30 h (for me it`s long enough)

6 Test Char : Temple Guardian with Energy Shield. (you know what I mean if you enter a cave /portal with enabled physX)^^

PS: MOST OF THE TIME (98% of the game crashes) If I enter or leave a cave or I use teleport.

Edited by Jan
  • 2 weeks later...

There is one fix that may work in game and I tried it once (by pressing the tilde key, ~ and then in the command prompt I typed: sys flush and then Enter). The game paused, went black and the character, gr2s, skins, textures, and shader files reloaded and the game simply seemed to refresh itself. I think it might work for the memory leak issue but I would strongly recommend to anyone who tries this as a possible fix quick-save the game with F10 first so that any campaign progress and the character (should) be saved to that point. I do not experience any memory issue unless I play for a solid hour or more (usually two +) and have covered a large portion of the map. What happens, I believe, is that the game is storing all of the game progress and associated graphics files, etc. to be saved in the character's files when the one exits the game. As the amount of data collected reaches a critical level without having been saved the game crashes.

I have also had the game crash after extended play when I enter/exit a cave or dungeon or teleport is activated. I also have game crash issues whenever PhysX effect is activated. Otherwise, I have no other issues and all of my other settings are set on the highest graphics and texture settings.

• 4 months later...

There is a claim on the Steam Forums that there is a fix for the infamous memory leak problem. Actually several solutions are claimed, but there is one I never saw before that may be worth testing.

Fix: Replace mss32.dll v7.e with v7.2g
Download the dll file from a trusted source:

http://originaldll.com/file/mss32.dll/27327.html

https://www.dll-files.com/mss32.dll.html

http://www.dlldownloader.com/mss32-dll/

The version you want is: 7.2g
Navigate to the "system" folder in your Sacred 2 installation. Back up the old mss32.dll and replace it with the new version you downloaded.

I've had mixed results. The first night I used it, it seemed like a miracle. I couldn't provoke a crash even if I tried, and memory usage never went above 600MB. Since then, my results have been fair but I've still had some memory-related crashes.

So this may be worth testing, especially if you like to use elite textures.

• Like! 1
  • 1 month later...

I've been trying this for the past hour or so, here are my results.

Running my Niob HE I travelled to the Blood Forest, which always provides hangs and crashes with Physx turned on. This time though it just didn't happen. I ran the game with every setting to the max, Physx on, weather on, everything. No crash, slight frame rate drops here and there, no hangs though. I kept spamming Glacial Thorns, Raging Nimbus, Shadow Step and Magic Coup by bow (sometimes it caused crashes when it targeted too many enemies with LL), to no avail. Game kept running.

I kept reading the Steam Forum's link and decided to mess around in the Nvidia Control Panel, so I edited the settings for the sacred2.exe application and maxed out every setting in the Nvidia CP. I turned FXAA on, AA to 8x and just about every AA setting to the max, AF to 16x/high quality, and some other stuff that's there that supposedly improves image quality. Same place same routine, spamming all the GPU intensive spells. Nada, zilch, nothing at all, no hangs no crashes. I nearly went "first person view" and kept spamming RN and GT, though here I noticed a big frame rate drop, but still the game kept running.

One curious aspect, and I really don't think it's placebo, is that after messing around with the Nvidia CP the game ran... smoother?! No stuttering and no frame rate drop, which honestly was refreshing. Remember when Shadow Step with Explosion mod would halt for a second when teleporting away from the screen? Smooth without hangs. I have to admit it was weird to see the game react so positively, and please don't think of this as a magic pass to solve all problems, but apparently it can work. I'd have to make a full run to the campaign to see just how different the performance is, but after three short runs I have to say that this may be a good option for some people.

PS: How about integrating this dll overwrite on the new CM patch? Just a thought. ;)

Edited by Androdion

We've been testing it extensively. The dll doesn't have any effect on the memory leak problem, sadly. What I thought was improved performance was actually caused by me alt+tabbing out of the game to check task manager, which purges the memory.

Dmitriy has done a heroic amount of coding to handle the stupid memory leak that this game has. His findings are extensive, and according to him, will have a big impact on finally resolving it. We just need to run some more tests.

Got it. ;)

Fun fact though, I didn't alt+tab nor have I checked the memory usage. But for as little time as I spent with this dll replaced and Physx activated I didn't have a single crash, and my game crashes hard because of Physx. Coincidence? Not sure. Off to try to run Elite Textures and see what happens.

PS: Elite Textures on, same routine as before, no problems in the Blood Forest. Teleported to Sloeford, walked a couple of meters and the game halted, so yeah it still crashes. It's a different crash though, usually it would give me a Windows "application stopped working" and back to desktop, here it just froze. A trip to the process manager killed the app quite easily. Hope this somehow helps, if not it was fun trying it anyway. :D

PS2: Forgot to ask, will the CM patch memory leak coding make using Elite Textures more stable in I&B? I'm not sure if both events are related or not.

Edited by Androdion

>"But for as little time as I spent with this dll replaced and Physx activated I didn't have a single crash, and my game crashes hard because of Physx"

It may well address some PhysX issues. I ended up turning off PhysX because the crashes were interfering with the testing. I'm not sure it's related to the game's memory problems.

>"Forgot to ask, will the CM patch memory leak coding make using Elite Textures more stable in Ice and Blood"
Yes. There actually is a fix already encoded, but the only result is that the game crashes when it hits the 1.5GB limit instead of freezing, as it does without the CM Patch. The new fix should actually remove both the crashing and the freezing altogether, at least when caused by this particular problem. Basically what is happening is the game is not releasing resources from memory when teleporting / changing levels as it should. And yes, the elite textures are directly related to the memory leak crashes. Bigger textures = more memory usage.

• Like! 1

I'm not sue replacing the dll file will help as I noticed that it indicates 32-bit and I'm running 64. I suppose that I'll wait for the next Community Patch. Thanks everyone for the great information here!

• Like! 1

I can confirm that the replacement dll file does keep the game from crashing or freezing, at least for periods approaching 1.5 hours. I have yet to play the game for a longer period of time. Yet, considering that I am using the Elite Textures, that's a significant result. I will post any other relevant observations here in this thread upon their discovery.

:thumbsup:

Thanks for the reports. I was hoping for some feedback like this. I guess we may as well include the dll in the test release of CM 1.60, at the very least.

Even with the newer dll file replacing the more problematic one, the game will still stall at certain points, especially when pulling up the map view or transporting or entering/exiting an underground area. It didn't help keep the game crashing with PhysX enabled either. Nevertheless, the dll is a vast improvement which begs the question, "Is there something even better out there?"

:dntknw:

In the meantime, I perform a quick-save then an Alt/Tab maneuver to ensure I don't lose my game to a particular point, even though doing so also runs the risk of yet another game freeze which necessitates a restart from that point.

:nono:

:blowup:

Before official release, my intention is to release an open beta in mod form. So you would install the test version of 1.60 like a mod on top of 1.50. Then, when we're sure it's ready, I'll build the official release w/ installer and uninstaller (with Czevak's help, hopefully).

There's just one or two more coding issues to iron out, and I have to get the various localizations ready. A couple weeks maybe sooner before beta.

• Like! 1

I would be happy to field-test the 1.60 beta. Just on the chance that another version of Mss32.dll would work I tried all of the most recent versions, but yet to know avail. Alas, for the game would not open when employing any of them.

Just a little thanks for you guys great help,

Still experiencing some crash after lowering graphic settings and disable both Elite and Physx, so I'm gonna try that dll

and the other few tips you guys mentionned in this thread,

Actually I m running the game at :

- Default textures

- Shadow details : Middle

- render details : High

- ground details: Very High

- effects details : High

- Ground details : in the middle

- Physx : Off

- AA : x4

- Weather : on

Those are the best settings I've found so far for longer gameplay ,yet it still crash after a while ( sometimes 30min, sometimes 1hour, I guess it depends on how much I'm spamming mini map, or caves in/out)

My config is :

Phenom 2 X4 965 @ 3.8Ghz

GTX 770 2Go

8 Go Ram G.skill PC-12800

I prefer to stick with nvidia drivers 345.20 for now (because of another game better compatibility with this)

Hope this can help on developping, thanks again for your work and your time

Now gonna try that dll and try to report later on afternoon.

Greetings

Edit : found that I was already using mss32.dll ver 7.2g lol,

Edited by Gatsu69
  • Like! 1

Hey Gatsu, have you tried using the settings on the Nvidia Control Panel? You can set Phyxs to be handled primarily by the GPU and use custom application settings for the sacred2.exe, which is what I've described on the last page of this thread. Would you be so kind as to try to turn on those settings and post back the results here?

Hey Gatsu, have you tried using the settings on the Nvidia Control Panel? You can set Phyxs to be handled primarily by the GPU and use custom application settings for the sacred2.exe, which is what I've described on the last page of this thread. Would you be so kind as to try to turn on those settings and post back the results here?

Hey Androdion,

Even before memory leak issue was given a name, when I bought the game I first tried your nvidia settings, and activated both Elite and Physx and all others setting maxed xD, on this rigg this result on 30-40 fps with frequent drops, it's just unplayble, for sure the picture is blowing, but it's just a matter of 10-15 min for the game to crash,

Just tried it right now to confirm my memorie, and that's exactly what happend , all settings maxed in nvidia CP + game result in game client crash after 15-20 minutes ( and 30-40 fps max)

I think the best I can achieve when tweaking the nvidia cp , is getting the game's own settings to higher instead of intermediate

(but with Elite texture and Physx still off)

other than that , I'm getting unplayable fps, or crash too often....:/

Now gonna try to mix your nvidia cp suggestion + my previous "intermediate game settings" + Elite and Physx on, and let you

know if its better.

Edit : Got a slightly better fps: 43-50, but game still crashed after 15-20 min :/

I think the problem is really the Physx or Elite texture caching.

I ll go back with my previous intermediate/stable settings for now, then when I'll got more time to experiment, I'll try to mess with the nvidia cp, (maybe trying to rise perf above quality for more stability, and see if game client feel happier with it)

Edited by Gatsu69