OK. What's a Shneeple? (sp)

Been going old school lately playing Sacred Underworld...

Noticed the goblins are always saying Shneeple quite a bit. WHAT IS IT?

I noticed they're babbling on in some Germanic dialect - I did catch an old Yiddish word - Dreidle - the traditional Jewish toy top thing. What goblins want with those, I dunno.

Fair assessment - the goblins also tend to shout for Mommy and Daddy... Especially right before being killed off.

Thanks BTW.. :)

Edited by wolfie2kX

This subject was addressed at the SIF a long time ago and I believe it was Mirko who ansered it.

According to that post, the Dev's had decided to keep the orriginal (German) babbling of the Goblins in-game after switching to English for the international release. Partially because of the comic relief, partially to show that the Goblins were something different.

Another phrase you hear a lot is "Hack seinen Kopf ab, Ich brauche einen Aschenbecher" (Cut his head off, I need [can use] a new ashtray).

I dunno where that post is at the SIF, but perhaps someone with more time at his / her hands might look for it......

Thorin :)

And while we're on this subject.. I found a relevant grave marker. This one is located in the S. Hedgenton area - inside the compound of the mansion southeast of the city where you have to rescue the husband from some robbers...

post-14586-0-12260500-1446501343_thumb.jpg

Seems this guy was just as clueless about they are as I was.. :4rofl:

• Like! 1

before I looked it up on the net after I saw some discussions about it years ago, what came to mind after I spend some time closely listening to those goblins shouting "Schniepel" , was more or less the same thing :

here in austria, and especially in carinthia, teenagers also used the word "Schniedel" for penis, which is closely matching the word "Schniepel" and the related meaning as mentioned above.. (also found it here: http://dict.tu-chemnitz.de/deutsch-englisch/Schniepel.html )

which reminds me about discussions I've heard or read about somewhere during my studies, regarding whether parents should use "baby talk language" when adressing their children during ther first few years, or not... and if it is useful or even harmful..

I don't know the correct english term for this if there is one, but one example would be "look, a woof-woof/wau wau" in an exaggerated high-pitched "talking to small children" voice mode instead of "look, a dog" using more or less your normal voice as when talking to your partner or grown up friends..

but, as chattius mentioned, we also use "schnipseln" over here, maybe the equivalent to "schnippeln" , and its meaning of cutting something into small pieces.. also, like in "Papierschnipsel", a very small piece of paper, usually not cut, but instead ripped/torn out of another sheet of paper..

hmm.. I also wanted to say something else, but I forgot.. :)

Bob

sorry, I also can't find it a the moment :( I remember a few loooong lists with all sorts of character / monster quotes for Sacred 1 as well.. If only I had made an entire forum backup before they merged/closed large bits of it..

personally, what I will miss the most, is useful info that was on the beta-test forum and the bug-DB.. but only if I let you guys start me thinking about it^^ ;) good times.. but I get a strange feeling sometimes when I think about how many hours I spent for my hobby, back then..

Edited by Rotluchs
  • Like! 1

sry for double post.. I'm pretty sure someone aready did it before, but can't find it..

maybe, this tool would be of any help if someone decided to read out sounds, in order to (possibly) being able to listen to and write down all the speech files?

http://darkmatters.org/forums/index.php?/topic/21615-any-way-to-mod-the-soundpak-file/?p=6971374

or, this thing.. http://wiki.xentax.com/index.php?title=Game_Extractor

Edited by Rotluchs
  • 6 months later...

I now think Schniepel is used like the word Smurf.

I shouldn't have smoked a Schniepel. Would probably relate to the penis or fish thing.

But they shout 'Schniepel!' when they attack and 'Doch kein Schniepel!/Not a Schniepel!' when they run away. I think this could be that they consider the player character as a tail coat wearing civilized dandy or geek till they get hit. Then they see that he isn't an easy target -something like: 'We are Goblins and you are a civilized Schniepel!'.

• Like! 1

before I looked it up on the net after I saw some discussions about it years ago, what came to mind after I spend some time closely listening to those goblins shouting "Schniepel" , was more or less the same thing :

here in austria, and especially in carinthia, teenagers also used the word "Schniedel" for penis, which is closely matching the word "Schniepel" and the related meaning as mentioned above.. (also found it here: http://dict.tu-chemnitz.de/deutsch-englisch/Schniepel.html )

which reminds me about discussions I've heard or read about somewhere during my studies, regarding whether parents should use "baby talk language" when adressing their children during ther first few years, or not... and if it is useful or even harmful..

I don't know the correct english term for this if there is one, but one example would be "look, a woof-woof/wau wau" in an exaggerated high-pitched "talking to small children" voice mode instead of "look, a dog" using more or less your normal voice as when talking to your partner or grown up friends..

but, as chattius mentioned, we also use "schnipseln" over here, maybe the equivalent to "schnippeln" , and its meaning of cutting something into small pieces.. also, like in "Papierschnipsel", a very small piece of paper, usually not cut, but instead ripped/torn out of another sheet of paper..

hmm.. I also wanted to say something else, but I forgot.. :)

Bob

sorry, I also can't find it a the moment :( I remember a few loooong lists with all sorts of character / monster quotes for Sacred 1 as well.. If only I had made an entire forum backup before they merged/closed large bits of it..

personally, what I will miss the most, is useful info that was on the beta-test forum and the bug-DB.. but only if I let you guys start me thinking about it^^ ;) good times.. but I get a strange feeling sometimes when I think about how many hours I spent for my hobby, back then..

I suppose that the American English "baby talk" version of schniepel would be something like pee pee, wee wee, or wiener. This topic is a real wiener winner too.

• Like! 1
  • 4 months later...

I think that sometimes the goblins say "TO JE MOCNA VODA" (To je moćna voda), which is actually Serbian language and it translates roughly to ''That's a powerful water'' or something in the terms of ''That's a magical water''.

Always found it funny. Me and my friends would quote Goblins all day long. :}

• Like! 1

One of my favorite Kobold quotes really humanizes them, "If I had only listened to my wife." Advice to which so many of we men can relate.

• Like! 1

I think that sometimes the goblins say "TO JE MOCNA VODA" (To je moćna voda), which is actually Serbian language and it translates roughly to ''That's a powerful water'' or something in the terms of ''That's a magical water''.

Always found it funny. Me and my friends would quote Goblins all day long. :}

Quoting goblins was one of my favorite pastimes when I first got the game, never ceased to amuse me

great having you here on the boards with us serboi, welcome to our micro universe of Sacred and our boards and little community... DarkMatters!

:)

gogo

• Like! 1
  • 1 month later...

Thanks for the welcome. Hopefully I may contribute a bit to the community. Cheers!

And... we love celebrating with this... kid you not...this real food ...and deeeeeeeeeeelish!

250px-Poutine.JPG

:)

gogo

I did a bit of research and translating from German to English and discovered the following information:
Schnie pel (both singular and plural)

Primarily, it is nowadays used as a Deutsch (German) colloquialism which refers to the male sex organ, especially one belonging to a small boy or an adult male with a penis resembling that of of a small boy.