All time scary films?

erialc

The other movie is called "The Changeling." I actually can't say much about it without spoiling it, but it's a horror/mystery combo instead of straight up horror.

If you're interested in it, you're looking for the 1980 version.

I've seen this! It's scary movie with lots of atmosphere. That clanging noise... nightmares for a long time after. Forgot George C SCott was in it. Terrific cast, thanks for the mnemonic MITZE

And great idea with getting this topic going again. I'm actually a huge horror fan, I'll set down my top five last five I've been into lately as well for chills and horrible squeaks

:)

gogo

• 3 months later...

Omg I think the Moomins are adorable :cow_white:

What scared me though is Freddy kreuger and of course poltergeist and the exorcist. Good to watch if you want to stay up all night though.

I know that the film that gave me the most fright was Jaws, I was stationed in Hong Kong doing a scuba diving course and on the night before I took my final diving exam we got to watch Jaws in the NAAFI/PX Store. I was so on edge the next day that I jumped at every shadow when I was in the water and I swear that if as much as a goldfish came near me I would have Pee'd in my pants!

Slightly off topic, does anyone remember the original Quake 1 game? That was a classy game with a great environmental soundtrack. I remember playing that at about 2am in a darkened room while wearing headphones so as not to disturb my wife. I was totally immersed in the gothic horror of the game when my wife crept up behind me and put her hand on my shoulder.......... I'll let you imagine my reaction! Suffice to say that I only ever played that game in broad daylight after that incident.

Edited by podgie_bear
  • Haha 1
  • 1 month later...

Podgie, could you post your favourites from the Quake 1 soundtrack in my video game music thread? I'd love to hear some of them, as I've never played Quake 1.

• 3 years later...

I've never been particularly scared of any horror movie. As a young teen I loved all the howling movies and fright night movies. I watched anything vampire and were wolf related. Never been frightened by anything but one movie that grossed me out was Martyrs. It's a French shock horror genre film. Just completely unnecessary movie.

Been a loooong time since any movie scared me. Jaws unfortunately wasn't scary for me. It was shot right where I live. My buddies and I were all set to take the ferry over to Martha's Vineyard and be extras in some of the beach scenes. But I got in trouble and was grounded and couldn't go. Sure I would have been 'discovered' by Hollywood if I had made it over :D

One movie that scared me to the bone when I was young was a movie called 'Phantasm'. I hated that little flying steel ball of death but what really creeped me out was the old guy. Looking at trailer now it seems so cheesy and dated but man I didn't sleep without having a nightmare with that ball or old guy or, !gulp! both for several nights :P

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmcR8_2RinY

• Like! 1

I wasn't scared of it but the one movie I remember now that gave me a hard time sleeping for a night or two was "Paranormal Activity." The first one. The others were just riding the money train. The first one had novelty and suspense behind it. The others were 'old hat' by then. But yea I couldn't stop thinking about the idea that what if something existed that you can't touch or hurt or fight or escape from... I didn't have nightmares but my philosophical brain took a little longer to settle and get to sleep for a couple of days.

All time scariest movie for me is The Exorcist. It's a predictable answer, but there's something really unsettling and disturbing about what's going on in that movie, that I've never quite felt anywhere else, and I was a huge horror movie fan in my teens and twenties.

One movie that scared me to the bone when I was young was a movie called 'Phantasm'. I hated that little flying steel ball of death but what really creeped me out was the old guy. Looking at trailer now it seems so cheesy and dated but man I didn't sleep without having a nightmare with that ball or old guy or, !gulp! both for several nights :P

I loved the Phantasm movies growing up. I was never quite scared of them, but I really enjoyed the atmosphere of the first one (and still do). The sequels were bad and cheesy, but the 4th one used some deleted footage from the first one to make some really surreal scenes and connect the movies together.

I don't know if it is just me (probably because most movies are in english) but the best horror movie is spoiled if the lips and the screamed text are not fitting. A little part in your brain is confused and not shocked and tells you that can't be real.

And for the younger generation it is even more confusing... Kids are taught in school to scream fire instead of help in case they are in trouble on a street, so why are the blonde girls always crying for help?

A lot of fear is from the unknown. Getting lost in a forest? Not real frightening if you grew up in europes biggest forest. But a dark street in a big town is unknown territory.

• 5 months later...

aaa69d6663.jpg

Er ist wieder da / Look who's back started last week at cinema. My daughter had to watch the movie for history class and so I drove her to a cinema showing the movie and watched it myself. The story is about Hitler waking up in a park in nowadays Berlin. It could be a comedy about a person which is confrontated with modern technology and politics after waking up after 65 years. But it is not just any person, it is Hitler. So by showing him as a confused person learning about internet, TV, ... would be funny if taken any historical person. In the movie people consider him as a comedian disguised as a Hitler double. He becomes a star at youtube and TV-shows. Politicians of different parties want to be good friend with him and he finally goes back into politics.

So it is a comedy. But it is scary showing Hitler as a normal person and even sometimes feeling sympathy for him when he is faced with new technology. So one of the scariest movies because feeling symptahy with the devil - or?

The Exorcist Prank

Author: Unknown

When I worked at BMP, the Head of Television commuted in from Brighton every day.

He started reading The Exorist on the train.

He said he thought it was the most evil book he'd ever read.

In fact, he said it was so evil he couldn't finish it.

So, at the weekend, he went to the end of Brighton pier and threw it as far as he could.

So, I went to the bookshop.

I bought another copy.

Then I ran it under the tap.

And I left it in his desk drawer.

For him to find.

• Like! 1
  • 3 years later...

A few now that have hit my list of chillers:

Mother... this movie starts so easily... and the near ending of it is so ultra violent, gory and...unfair...I could barely make it through...but did through closed fingers

Hause on haunted hill... yah the tale's old...but this refresh is SO SO good... They've spent a huge amount of time on the development arcs, and the way they travel concurrently with constant surprise reveals is just delightful.  This is, as well (wow lol is this a trend) an ultra violent film but for just the visuals alone... the long camera shots are sooooooooo amazing (check out episode six... almost as good as the one from Children of Men 2006) .

Find your favorite person to curl up too and enjoy

:)

gogo

There are films you didn't consider scary when being young. Being young you are mainly afraid of things which could affect you. Being older you fear most that your kids could be harmed.

Es geschah am hellichten Tag (English: It Happened in Broad Daylight)

Gert Fröbe played genial and was chosen to play Goldfinger in the James Bond movie because of this..

There was a remake called 'The Pledge'  by Sean Penn. The movies will never be a commercial success I fear. Because the biggest group of watchers at a cinema is young. And as I said, having kids you watch such a film with different eyes.

Having a daughter who is same age and does racing (oldtimer rallye, not Formula 3) too I was terrified by this video this weekend. And , being a volunteer firefighter) was really terrfied to see how deep the reflex to film with your smartphone at an accident is.

Pre smartphone you did a prayer, considered if you could help and be it even to make room for rescue people. Today seeing and lifting the smartphone is the same :(

• Like! 1
On 11/19/2018 at 11:54 AM, chattius said:

Having a daughter who is same age and does racing (oldtimer rallye, not Formula 3) too I was terrified by this video this weekend. And , being a volunteer firefighter) was really terrfied to see how deep the reflex to film with your smartphone at an accident is.

Pre smartphone you did a prayer, considered if you could help and be it even to make room for rescue people. Today seeing and lifting the smartphone is the same :(

Chattius, I think you have claimed the king of scary movies

:oooo:

gogo

• 2 months later...

I think the movie that kept me awake the most, at 11 years of age. was...

Scream 

Unreasonable as it might sound, a normal (non supernatural) person, putting on a mask, calling you and telling you that you are going to die... then basically letting your fear take control while you try and escape, but you are not thinking clearly... and to be clear, it was just a few years after South Africa had the highest amount of murders in the history of the country... Caucasians and Caucasian families where especially picked because of racial issues... it played cruel tricks on my mind. I had to go and sleep in one of my sisters bedrooms or I would sneak into my parents bedroom and sleep on the carpet, just to feel a little bit safer. That was at a stage when my father used to sleep with a hand gun/pistol under his pillow and a security gate in the hallway towards the bedrooms, all windows had burglar bars in front, doors had double locks, safety chains, and a vicious dog was almost a necessity. It terrified me. 

7 hours ago, Delta! said:

I think the movie that kept me awake the most, at 11 years of age. was...

Scream 

Unreasonable as it might sound, a normal (non supernatural) person, putting on a mask, calling you and telling you that you are going to die... then basically letting your fear take control while you try and escape, but you are not thinking clearly... and to be clear, it was just a few years after South Africa had the highest amount of murders in the history of the country... Caucasians and Caucasian families where especially picked because of racial issues... it played cruel tricks on my mind. I had to go and sleep in one of my sisters bedrooms or I would sneak into my parents bedroom and sleep on the carpet, just to feel a little bit safer. That was at a stage when my father used to sleep with a hand gun/pistol under his pillow and a security gate in the hallway towards the bedrooms, all windows had burglar bars in front, doors had double locks, safety chains, and a vicious dog was almost a necessity. It terrified me. 

This was the movie that started an entire franchise, and launched a few stars' careers.  I cant imagine that the fear a movie can cast is anything close to what you must have felt when you were growing up :(  Re this movie, funny thing is I never even saw it in its entirety... by the time it had gone into its many versions so many snippets and cuts of it had permeated my consciousnesses via the internet that all for all intensive purposes, lol I'd "seen" it :blink: 

What a strange and astonishing the internet is... perhaps in its own way the horror movie that will eat...

everything

:oooo:

gogo

• 2 weeks later...

Scariest film for me is Autopsy of Jane Doe. The reason: immersion. When I see well-known actors, it kind of breaks immersion for me. "That's Ethan Hawke attaching all of those old film reels together in his attic." What's the best way to describe it? This film didn't feel like I was watching a movie where an actor was playing a mortician, it felt like standing in a real mortician's home as he and his son go about their day. When stuff turned supernatural, it didn't feel like forced Hollywood tropes to me. The actors didn't remain painfully oblivious until the last possible moment, nor were they instantly on board with this supernatural crap that society and common sense dictates isn't real. At least mine. In my neck of the woods, ghosts and goblins and demons ain't real. So, it doesn't feel real when actors on screen instantly accept the existence of aliens, monsters, and etc. The scariest movies for me are the ones where I forget that it's "just a movie". 

8 hours ago, Gilberticus said:

Scariest film for me is Autopsy of Jane Doe. The reason: immersion. When I see well-known actors, it kind of breaks immersion for me. "That's Ethan Hawke attaching all of those old film reels together in his attic." What's the best way to describe it? This film didn't feel like I was watching a movie where an actor was playing a mortician, it felt like standing in a real mortician's home as he and his son go about their day. When stuff turned supernatural, it didn't feel like forced Hollywood tropes to me. The actors didn't remain painfully oblivious until the last possible moment, nor were they instantly on board with this supernatural crap that society and common sense dictates isn't real. At least mine. In my neck of the woods, ghosts and goblins and demons ain't real. So, it doesn't feel real when actors on screen instantly accept the existence of aliens, monsters, and etc. The scariest movies for me are the ones where I forget that it's "just a movie". 

Nice article you've written up.  I'm actually going to have to think a bit a out this concept of yours you have drummed up..."immersion"... I do understand how it can be very important for movies...and sometimes you dont realize how good the directors' form is until you mange to catch your breath at the end of the film and just "Whoosh!'... what did I Just watch...and sit down...and ... process,,,

I'm not sure if I can get hung up so much on actors and not falling for their acted pesonna..I know that movie you're talking about...and EthanHawke's character never quite got in the way, at least for me,  of the slow build up of horror... Im wondering how I'm able to see this differently from you... maybe it's because I first hook up with the actor...and then re frame it in my mind as.. hmmm, I wonder what Ethan Hawke has gotten himself into... ! :lol:

Just such a big fan of his from his older stuff like Gattaca and that movie where he played a brother whereby him, he and his family succumbed to the maw of drugs and money needs... perhaps that is, in fact, a horror movie that should be placed here as well

:D

gogo

On 2/8/2019 at 2:03 PM, Gilberticus said:

I liked that movie too. Very different. I really wish they fleshed out the lore behind it more. It was super interesting. 

• Like! 1

I don't remember if I mentioned this movie here, I've written so much in the past. But a great psychological thriller was American Mary. So good. Really creepy, no gore, visually jarring at points. I love weird stuff. It's the same actress as ginger snaps, if anyone watched werewolf movies.