All time scary films?

erialc

4 hours ago, Veracious said:

I liked that movie too. Very different. I really wish they fleshed out the lore behind it more. It was super interesting. 

On 2/8/2019 at 2:03 PM, Gilberticus said:

Scariest film for me is Autopsy of Jane Doe. The reason: immersion. When I see well-known actors, it kind of breaks immersion for me. "That's Ethan Hawke attaching all of those old film reels together in his attic." What's the best way to describe it? This film didn't feel like I was watching a movie where an actor was playing a mortician, it felt like standing in a real mortician's home as he and his son go about their day. When stuff turned supernatural, it didn't feel like forced Hollywood tropes to me. The actors didn't remain painfully oblivious until the last possible moment, nor were they instantly on board with this supernatural crap that society and common sense dictates isn't real. At least mine. In my neck of the woods, ghosts and goblins and demons ain't real. So, it doesn't feel real when actors on screen instantly accept the existence of aliens, monsters, and etc. The scariest movies for me are the ones where I forget that it's "just a movie". 

I saw the trailer for this film now because of you both...

AND saw the reviews on Tomato Meter... 90 percent?!  the trailer has just floored me... it looks so creepy and I have this lovely afternoon to myself... im stocked!

will post back after...surely to be a grand afternoon of lovely afternoon watching

:oooo:

:bounce:

gogo

1 hour ago, gogoblender said:

I saw the trailer for this film now because of you both... AND saw the reviews on Tomato Meter... 90 percent?!  the trailer has just floored me... it looks so creepy and I have this lovely afternoon to myself... im stocked!

will post back after...surely to be a grand afternoon of lovely afternoon watching

:bounce:

gogo

Look up American Mary too

Just saw Autopsy... holee molee was that ever a nail biter.  In fact, I found myself so spooked out by the beginning of it where they were starting the investigation that I found myself having to give myself some breathing space just to bring down the creeps. Body Horror is one of those realms of horror movies where there's a lot of unexplored territory.  :oooo: I thought for a while that this movie was going to go somewhere down the trail of A walk among the Tombstones which still gives me nightmares to this day, but the slant on the supernatural was nice touch here, and the execution was well done.

Good one guys, Ill search up American Mary as well soon.

:)

gogo

• Like! 1
19 hours ago, gogoblender said:

Just saw Autopsy... holee molee was that ever a nail biter.  In fact, I found myself so spooked out by the beginning of it where they were starting the investigation that I found myself having to give myself some breathing space just to bring down the creeps. Body Horror is one of those realms of horror movies where there's a lot of unexplored territory.  :oooo: I thought for a while that this movie was going to go somewhere down the trail of A walk among the Tombstones which still gives me nightmares to this day, but the slant on the supernatural was nice touch here, and the execution was well done.

Good one guys, Ill search up American Mary as well soon.

gogo

I guess Canadian Netflix had that one. Lol. 

Btw syfy started the magicians again. You should be able to watch on their homepage. 

4 hours ago, Veracious said:

I guess Canadian Netflix had that one. Lol. 

Btw syfy started the magicians again. You should be able to watch on their homepage. 

I watched it from a friend, Netflix didnt have it, and they still dont have Impulse or magicians yet...but hoping to get down to the states down in a few months, or my mom can save it on her computer from netflix to watch here when she travels and I can get more episodes

:D

gogo

15 hours ago, gogoblender said:

I watched it from a friend, Netflix didnt have it, and they still dont have Impulse or magicians yet...but hoping to get down to the states down in a few months, or my mom can save it on her computer from netflix to watch here when she travels and I can get more episodes

:D

gogo

You keep saying the same thing and I'm not sure if I'm being unclear or if you just forget from all the threads on here you're involved in. 

Impulse is YouTube Red. So if you don't pay for it or use a third party app you can't watch it. 

Magicians is on Syfy channel which is a cable station on regular tv. You can catch up on the episodes on syfy.com or on demand on tv. I'm not informed on Canadian public tv but I'm sure you can find out what the Canadian equivalent is for syfy. 

Edited by Veracious
7 hours ago, chattius said:

You know the meaning of scary and horror depends on age and background. Once you were forced to search and collect bodyparts after a car crash nothing is at is was before. The best movie last year was in my opinion 'November'. Don't mix it up with the US movie 'November'. 

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6164502/

minutes ago, Veracious said:

You keep saying the same thing and I'm not sure if I'm being unclear or if you just forget from all the threads on here you're involved in. 

Impulse is YouTube Red. So if you don't pay for it or use a third party app you can't watch it. 

Magicians is on Syfy channel which is a cable station on regular tv. You can catch up on the episodes on syfy.com or on demand on tv. I'm not informed on Canadian public tv but I'm sure you can find out what the Canadian equivalent is for syfy. 

I'm hoping that one day we'll get both available on netflix ... hoping :D

Netflix has a great history of pulling in content from other networks, and buying up popular stuff for their fans

:superman: :bounce:

Chattius, I'm gonna watch that trailer only after a solid breakfast :lol: 

gogo

Alllrighty then, since we are resurrecting this beast.... Confession time. :blush:

I nearly sh*t my pants back in high school when Deep Blue Sea was the new hype and my friends wanted to go. I am not proud to say I chickened out.. I like horror movies. But I am not at ease with sea stuff... Sharks freak me the hell out. 

Watched the movie quite a few years later. Sucked btw. :4rofl:

Edited by Timotheus
2 hours ago, Timotheus said:

Alllrighty then, since we are resurrecting this beast.... Confession time. :blush:

I nearly sh*t my pants back in high school when Deep Blue Sea was the new hype and my friends wanted to go. I am not proud to say I chickened out.. I like horror movies. But I am not at ease with sea stuff... Sharks freak me the hell out. 

Watched the movie quite a few years later. Sucked btw. :4rofl:

Timo, I remember seeing this in the theatre.. and we all had a hoot! :4rofl:... REally loved the concepts, and how they were thinking that the sharks could have been even smarter than us :eek: ... I was horrified by the open ocean as well, and when I was growing up the whole Jaws phenomenon was cresting with big teeth everywhere :lol: seriously though...lol you didnt think that insane scene where Samuel L Jackson makes that speech in the underwater station was just awesome?

gogo

5 minutes ago, Timotheus said:

It was no-brains-needed fun yea :whistle:but at the time... Man. I've never been that terrified to go to a movie, ever.

horror coming at you from an unlimited number of vectors...the concept of deep ocean swimming is terrifying to me... ill still do it when we go back to Sri Lanka to visit home, snorkeling is just too addictive to leave to the sharks

:4rofl:

gogo

hereditary

And... looks like everyone is right... this is pretty much the scariest thing around to watch right now.. Sounds, score, inventive concept... and, of course, our darling Toni Collette, just about one of the finest character actors around who is just able to get you to a place where you feel like you're being suffocated.

Watch with friends

gogo

• Appreciation 1
  • 2 months later...
On 2/18/2019 at 4:42 AM, gogoblender said:

hereditary

And... looks like everyone is right... this is pretty much the scariest thing around to watch right now.. Sounds, score, inventive concept... and, of course, our darling Toni Collette, just about one of the finest character actors around who is just able to get you to a place where you feel like you're being suffocated.

Watch with friends

gogo

I haven't seen it yet, but my brother saw the movie and says it's very nice.

:cha(18):

I know carpenter... huge fan of the thing and his epic vampire movie and of course star man! But never heard of wan... what kind of horror?

😊

gogo

• 10 months later...
On 5/12/2019 at 10:09 AM, Mare said:

James Wan is the creator of the Saw franchise and the Conjuring one. He's also the creator of Aquaman.

The Conjuring series is very gritty...the first one took me by surprise..its lovely knowing that Horror can keep evolving... enter Hereditary for instance

just...wow

gogo

• Like! 1
2 hours ago, ~Night.Wolfe~ said:

For me it was Wrong Turn -

I remember that! holeeeeeeeeeeeeee! .. lol I was addicted to that series of them...but the first one was absolutely crazy... I dont think anything like it had come out before, and pretty much everything had to catch up with it...

Some of those deaths in that film are still soooooooo nasty

gogo

p.s. btw Nightwolfe... If you find that your post is taking a long time to actually post...  this is known issue we have here which we cant seem to debug... but the work around is... please wait about two seconds after you press Save/Post... then just refresh your  browser at the top left of your screen.. your post will instantly post... it's a great work around by Charon117 (Ty!) until we find a solution.

Happy to see you wearing the horror hat too! :crazy:

• Like! 1

Heh, saw that I had already weighed in 5 years ago with "The Exorcist."  I guess there's really two different questions here: what horror/supernatural/thriller movies are your favorite cause they're so good?

OR

What movies are actually the scariest to you?  For me, really scary movies are those that change your thoughts and behavior even after the movie's over.  They kind of live on in your head, disturbing and unsettling you in some way.  They make you want to close the curtains in case something's peering in.  They create an irresistible urge to look over shoulder in a dark hallway no matter irrational it seems.  If you're really sensitive like me, they'll haunt your dreams.

A Quiet Place was an excellent movie with fantastic tension, but it wasn't scary.  I wasn't scared of making too much noise afterwards lest the monsters get me.

Movies like The Exorcist, Event Horizon, or Hellraiser: Inferno aren't necessarily in my top lists of favorite movies, but they're definitely some of the scariest I've ever seen.  They instill some of primal cosmic terror in me, I suppose.  They're all quite different movies but they all have in common people being completely swept away from they thought was reality.

• Like! 1
13 hours ago, Flix said:

Heh, saw that I had already weighed in 5 years ago with "The Exorcist."  I guess there's really two different questions here: what horror/supernatural/thriller movies are your favorite cause they're so good?

OR

What movies are actually the scariest to you?  For me, really scary movies are those that change your thoughts and behavior even after the movie's over.  They kind of live on in your head, disturbing and unsettling you in some way.  They make you want to close the curtains in case something's peering in.  They create an irresistible urge to look over shoulder in a dark hallway no matter irrational it seems.  If you're really sensitive like me, they'll haunt your dreams.

A Quiet Place was an excellent movie with fantastic tension, but it wasn't scary.  I wasn't scared of making too much noise afterwards lest the monsters get me.

(...) Event Horizon (...)

I'll say it again since that would be my answer: One of the best horror movies I've seen and regard as an underrated gem is "The crazies"

A Quiet Place: Tried to watch it this weekend but got bored :dntknw: and there were some really stupid things going on in that movie. Interesting premise though.

Event Horizon: loved it!

Edited by Timotheus