Diablo 2 Fallen Classes: The Barbarian

Flix

• 5 months later...
  • 9 months later...

Mini-Set Redesigns

Unlike full armor sets, mini-sets are typically 3-5 pieces that aren't focused on any particular aspect. Unfortunately, many are assembled of random mismatched pieces, which I think is a missed opportunity to showcase the standard sets. All random armor, from junk to rare, actually belongs to a visually coherent "set" of armor (such as leather, iron, cloth, etc.). Now the pieces of the mini-sets match each other better. I also changed some unique armor piece designs so they're not shared by set pieces. I know some players choose their armor not just on function but also appearance, so hopefully this will help make the mini-sets more appealing.

These changes don't apply retroactively. Only new copies of the items that drop will be changed. So if you already have copies or get them from the downloads section they will still be the old designs.

Barbarian
XZeR8yum.jpg   d5Ue8LYm.jpg  w0OXht2m.jpg  deiw1PNm.jpg  i02ZVLzm.jpg

1st pic: Eternal Silence - only a slight texture change
2nd pic: Ravok's Renaissance - only a slight texture change
3rd pic: Infernal Torment - no change
4th pic: Executioner's Aids - now uses all blood-spattered steel armor
5th pic: Cold Grave - total redesign, now uses the golden hellknight armor introduced in the CM Items Mod.

• 1 month later...

Some upcoming changes for the Barbarian's armor. These were adapted from Wardust's serious textures.

Exxo Armor

4th pic: Dendaran's Tactical Genius

6kkI3f1m.jpg

Crypt Armor

4th pic: Lucretis' Stars

W7TF7Dym.jpg

Iron Armor

nD7J8tSm.jpg

I'll update the Barbarian's character design overview above when the next version is released.

• Like! 1
  • 7 months later...

Once again working on the Wiki reveals some things about the mod that need work. I caught a few small typos in the Barbarian's CA tooltips.

But mainly I want to apologize to everyone who tried to tell me the animations for Whirlwind weren't working.

I had been testing Whirlwind with 1h weapons and polearms, which are correctly "whirling," as are the bare-handed animations (try it once you won't regret it).

However using most other weapons (dual wielding, ranged weapons, 2h hafted) produced underwhelming animations, many of them not even attacks but buff-casting animations.

Here you can see the difference:

Oops. I'll be testing all weapon types and working on a way to get them as appropriately "whirlwindy" as possible.

The CA actually works fine no matter what, so it's just an issue of form, not function.

• Like! 1

Oh yeah, I am playing a lightsaber dual wielding Barbarian and the Whirlwind animation looks like he's clapping. Thought that was totally normal.

:wacko: Noooooo...

He's supposed to spin like the Dryad using Darting Assault. At the very least he should be using a generic attack animation. That clap is the old Skeletal Fortification summoning animation I believe. I'm embarrassed it's gone this long without me noticing it.

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...

The amor sets are just exquisite

Love the way the helliknights sword crackles with power

is the red glow I see at the base coming from the sword?

:thumbsup:

gogo

Yep, it's actually the spell fx from Cleansing Brilliance that's been transplanted onto the red jewel on the hilt of the sword.

• Like! 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Upcoming Barbarian Changes in D2F v12

The Barbarian has been another very stable character in this mod, aside from some hiccups with Whirlwind, the changes have been mostly aesthetic.  Like the Shadow Warrior, he is the premiere melee character, and probably the easiest character to get into for a newcomer.  The only changes in v12 are to his personal quests and some new quest rewards.

•  Howl: Enemy regeneration penalty removed because this modifier is non-functioning against NPC's. Not really a change, since it never worked, but I removed mention of it from the tooltip and removed the non-functioning line of code.
  •  Class quest "Brothers in Arms" now drops Stormrider as reward instead of a random amulet.  This standalone side quest has the Barbarian meet a former comrade in arms and then help him rescue his daughter. I fleshed out this quest by having the two reminisce about their fighting days, and by having the quest giver reward the Barbarian with his old battle-axe, which he'd kept all this time.
  •  Class quest "Orcish Necromancers" now drops Orcslayer as reward.  This about the midway point of the chain quest, so it seemed appropriate to give a class-specific reward that was also somewhat story-related.

More about the Barbarian class quest:

I'm truly amazed how LONG this class quest is.  Aside from the main campaign, the Shadow Warrior's chain quest might be the longest and most involved in the game.  This makes the character by far the most developed of the bunch.  I took the opportunity of having such a wealth of dialogues and journal entries to really flesh out all the characters and lore, and also to clarify (and in some cases simplify) what was an occasionally convoluted plot.  You will also find a few redesigned NPC's and quest items.

In v12 I made the leap of converting the Thraconians to Barbarians.  It was such a near-match already I don't know why I haven't done it sooner.  I can't change the opening cutscene however, and that is one of the Barbarian player being resurrected by Necromancers.  So although the character's identity as a former Barbarian raider is now pervasive throughout the quest, it is still the same story at its core - the character has to deal with being brought back from the dead. So it's a combination of remembering who he was and also figuring out what his new place in the world is.

This means the lore of Necromancers ends up being explored really heavily in this quest.  There are also some ties into the Paladin's class quest (the Dark Seraphim being a product of the same black magic), and some juicy history of the Sin War that I've worked into the game.

wwvKveH.jpg    DWzzaYs.jpg

• Like! 1
  • 1 month later...

I finally got around to adding the Barbarian's classic ponytail as a selectable hairstyle at character creation.  So he'll have the option of: bald w/ beard, bald & clean shaven, or topknot and clean shaven.

HBxSXcim.jpg   reHai9Mm.jpg   46RDRDDm.jpg

• Like! 1
On 8/25/2019 at 6:44 PM, Flix said:

I finally got around to adding the Barbarian's classic ponytail as a selectable hairstyle at character creation.  So he'll have the option of: bald w/ beard, bald & clean shaven, or topknot and clean shaven.

HBxSXcim.jpg   reHai9Mm.jpg   46RDRDDm.jpg

This looks good!

I like how it gives him a notably Asian cast

gogo

• 1 month later...
On 8/28/2019 at 4:49 AM, gogoblender said:

This looks good!

I like how it gives him a notably Asian cast

gogo

Haha I just saw this. You should have seen him when I was experimenting with adding other facial hair to him.  He looks like the bad guy in a kung fu film.

SchlnrT.jpg

• Like! 1

Grim Ward has mods to reduce cold and fire resistance. It however does only physical damage. Are the lowered resistances global, means for all attacks, or just for the shots? if for the later it looks as if Grim Ward was meant to have a splitted fire/cold damage but has physical.

5 hours ago, chattius said:

Grim Ward has mods to reduce cold and fire resistance. It however does only physical damage. Are the lowered resistances global, means for all attacks, or just for the shots? if for the later it looks as if Grim Ward was meant to have a splitted fire/cold damage but has physical.

Luckily the reduced resistances apply to all attacks launched against the target for the debuff duration.  So the Barbarian might choose the modification based on what damage type his weapon does, or elements that his party is using.

The physical damage was needed in order to apply the various debuffs.  You'll notice the damage is very low.  I wish it had an invisible "aura" instead of shooting projectiles, but I wasn't able to make it so.

• Like! 1
  • 2 months later...

Pesmontis has worked his magic yet again! In v13, the Barbarian will join the Druid, Amazon, Paladin, and Sorceress in having a full selection of 6 different hairstyles in character creation!  These are the 4 new additions:

1.thumb.jpg.41b5eedf4b21db2de61bd8d7448f1562.jpg

3.thumb.jpg.a557da58e2fb496310851ab598d76053.jpg

4.thumb.jpg.99e3083bc23c05d460c7868cc9181d39.jpg

5.thumb.jpg.030a2294bb3d25cfa14fb00bf85eacb1.jpg

• Respect! 1