Diablo 2 Fallen Classes: The Paladin

Flix

• 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Does Holy Freeze also reduces casting speed ?
It is written that it reduces movement speed and attack speed but not casting speed ?

Also why are there 2 attack speed stats in the character "Sum stats" of the inventory window (one from gear and one from buffs/spells ) ?
Thanks

Edited by laharl9999

Does Holy Freeze also reduces casting speed ?

It is written that it reduces movement speed and attack speed but not casting speed ?

Also why are there 2 attack speed stats in the character "Sum stats" of the inventory window (one from gear and one from buffs/spells ) ?

Thanks

I'm away from home right now. I'll check when I get back.

About the sigma bonus list, it's a common thing with many bonuses to appear twice. The 'white' bonus are like base bonuses that are applied first. The blue or yellow ones are applied afterward.

• Like! 1
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 9 months later...

Simple change to Blessed Hammer's FX for the sake of consistency:

dzOYUnd.jpg

The glow underneath the enemy is no longer green but orange that matches the color of the hammer itself. 

I also reduced the amount of damage conversion from the "Furnace" and "Crucible" bronze mods, from base 50% to base 10%.

• Like! 1
8 hours ago, Flix said:

Simple change to Blessed Hammer's FX for the sake of consistency:

dzOYUnd.jpg

The glow underneath the enemy is no longer green but orange that matches the color of the hammer itself. 

I also reduced the amount of damage conversion from the "Furnace" and "Crucible" bronze mods, from base 50% to base 10%.

The hammer looks awesome ... did it take long? For fun can you make it any image you want? :D

:)

gogo

13 hours ago, gogoblender said:

The hammer looks awesome ... did it take long? For fun can you make it any image you want? :D

gogo

I changed the color and textures of the FX, but at its core, it's a model replacement.  Check it out:

nFYbmuV.jpg

The original was Spectral Hand, so it was the Shadow Warrior's arm holding a sword.  I wanted to change it to a female arm holding a hammer.  Pesmontis was kind enough to do the replacement, and with his skill it only took a moment.  :)  It was actually DeathAngel7's idea that he posted almost three years ago.  It took forever for me to find that arm model to replace it though.

• Like! 1
7 hours ago, Flix said:

I changed the color and textures of the FX, but at its core, it's a model replacement.  Check it out:

nFYbmuV.jpg

The original was Spectral Hand, so it was the Shadow Warrior's arm holding a sword.  I wanted to change it to a female arm holding a hammer.  Pesmontis was kind enough to do the replacement, and with his skill it only took a moment.  :)  It was actually DeathAngel7's idea that he posted almost three years ago.  It took forever for me to find that arm model to replace it though.

A brilliant composite of talents.  Little bits of history like this make the mod so rich

gogo

• 2 months later...

Noticed something while testing out the new Paladin:

Holy Shield - Gold mod Boost decrease the cooldown by 20% instead of the stated 25% (down to 48 seconds cooldown instead of 45 seconds, from base of 60 seconds).

• Thanks! 1
  • 1 year later...

Upcoming Paladin Changes in v12:

As with the other characters, I've been spending time leveling Paladins from scratch, with self-found gear. No cheats or save editing or free gear.  This way I really get a feel for imbalances and bugs.

•  Vengeance: Fixed an animation bug that caused the Paladin to lay sideways in the saddle when mounted and using 2h swords. This is yet another animation vanilla issue that our awesome bug reporters caught.
  •  Smite: Increased base regeneration time.  This is a great skill, and it was a little too easy to spam it.  Now it's still low, but closer to the other CA's in this aspect.
  •  Charge: No longer causes Stun without taking Overwhelm modification. Stun chance from Overwhelm increased to 50%. Tooltip no longer mentions breaking existing roots as this was non-functioning.
  •  Holy Bolt: Increased damage.  In original D2, this skill only worked against Undead, but of course there were only 3 monster types: Undead, Demons, and Beasts.  Sacred 2 has dozens of monster types, so this skill got a boost to be decently useful against any monster type, and EXTRA powerful against Undead and Demons (and T-Mutants with a mod).
  •  Fist of the Heavens: Increased damage.  This CA is meant to be a nuke, now it performs as such.
  •  Conversion: Duration and minion attack speed now scale with CA level.  Because it's important to have a reason to read more runes.
  •  Holy Shield: Percent of damage diverted to shield starts at 70% instead of 80%.  Having the percent too high at low levels meant the shield took so much damage it often got depleted too quickly.

About the Paladin's personal quests:  The Paladin is now fully differentiated from the angels (Seraphim and Archangels), and all the dialogue, quest logs, and lore reflect this now.  The Paladin and her order are human men and women who fight with holy powers, while the angels are... well, angels.  They are faceless and mysterious immortals, and despite being ethereal creatures of light, most have a cool attitude at best towards the other races of Ancaria.  Paladins on the other hand are grounded in their mortality and are therefore compassionate and have a keen sense of justice.

The Paladin's personal quest is still much the same at its core.  The Dark Seraphim is still the main antagonist, but her origin is much better fleshed out, and tied in with D2 lore of the Sin War and Necromancy.  Side note: If you play the Barbarian you will also learn even more about these events through his own class quest.

I have also corrected what I believe to be an oversight, if not a bug, in the vanilla game, where you are sent to the Swamp to bring the Dark Seraphim out of hiding there, but then you have to go all the way back to Tyr Lysia to kill her in the same cave where you drove her out in the beginning of the quest. This makes no sense!

Therefore the Dark Seraphim final battle now takes place in the Swamp underneath Hesheth, as the dialogues and quest logs suggest it should. She is also now equipped with a dangerous poisonous weapon that I meant for her to have all along.

eCc51kKl.jpg

•  Class quest "Whoops" now drops Herald of Zakarum as reward.  This is that quest that is an homage to the Sacred 1 quest "Seraphim Rescue" (now a human Paladin like the player).
  •  Class quest "The Hunt III" now drops Endijian's Javelin as reward (upon reporting to Sophia).  I wanted each of these loooong character chain quests to also have a "midway" reward, so Sophia outfits you with an angelic weapon now.

4jInGPl.jpg    gumqMHs.jpg

• Like! 1

As with the other characters, I've been spending time leveling Paladins from scratch, with self-found gear. No cheats or save editing or free gear.  This way I really get a feel for imbalances and bugs.

This is awesome..cant believe you do this!! Old school time... Flix, how do you do this! Bots? 

:4rofl:

gogo

22 hours ago, gogoblender said:

This is awesome..cant believe you do this!! Old school time... Flix, how do you do this! Bots? 

:4rofl:

gogo

Whenever I'm away from the mod for an extended period of time I like to come back to it like a player would.  Just starting a fresh character and experimenting and trying to create a good build.  This is really the only way to smooth out issues with balance.

All 7 characters deserve to have this process done, I just never have the time, so I usually just use test characters to make sure everything works and is generally balanced.  But to get it really polished you gotta put in the time.

• Respect! 1
  • 3 months later...

Watching my daughter playing a paladin I think she is real good or the paldain is a tiny bit overpowered, or both.

Holy Fire does fire damage

Prayer adds intelligence to make it more powerful

Conviction and Ancient Magic make the enemies without any protection against fire, probably even negative mitigation

Damage Lore multiplies the burning damage at mastery.

So a Holy Fire burn damage tick with 15000 damage results in 55000 burning.

Add a base range of 15m and multiply by 1.3 because of +CA-range

Her build at 108 in hell mode:

Concentration 75, Blessed Defense Focus 75, Devout offense Focus 75, Riding 8, Bargaining 75, Devout Offense Lore 1, Energy Shield Lore 1, Blacksmith 1, Damage Lore 75, Ancient Magic 75

200 runes in Holy Fire, 200 in Conviction, 200 in Prayer, 98 in Holy shield (shield is at 300000+ because of willpower from prayer), 7 in Fist of Heaven

every slot with +5/6 to all skills

She started with an fresh installed game, so no common chest

• Like! 1
1 hour ago, chattius said:

Watching my daughter playing a paladin I think she is real good or the paldain is a tiny bit overpowered, or both.

Holy Fire does fire damage

Prayer adds intelligence to make it more powerful

Conviction and Ancient Magic make the enemies without any protection against fire, probably even negative mitigation

Damage Lore multiplies the burning damage at mastery.

So a Holy Fire burn damage tick with 15000 damage results in 55000 burning.

Add a base range of 15m and multiply by 1.3 because of +CA-range

Her build at 108 in hell mode:

Concentration 75, Blessed Defense Focus 75, Devout offense Focus 75, Riding 8, Bargaining 75, Devout Offense Lore 1, Energy Shield Lore 1, Blacksmith 1, Damage Lore 75, Ancient Magic 75

200 runes in Holy Fire, 200 in Conviction, 200 in Prayer, 98 in Holy shield (shield is at 300000+ because of willpower from prayer), 7 in Fist of Heaven

every slot with +5/6 to all skills

She started with an fresh installed game, so no common chest

Thanks for the feedback. Sounds very powerful indeed.  I wonder if any one combat art is at "fault" or if the scaling simply needs to be slowed down at high levels.

Break points are level 31: prayer, holy shield, holy fire and conviction fully modded. Conviction instead prayer at fire immunes. Combat art foci can stay at level 31 till level 75.

Next and important one is at level 75: damage lore (longer and better burning at near none resists) , ancient magic ( enemy resists, mitigations lowered) and concentration (conviction as third buff, quite same as ancient magic) mastered.

If  I remember right the Diablo2 Addon brought these synergies between skills. So it is in tradition to good old diablo ;)

Next she will max riding for more speed.

• Like! 1
  • 2 months later...

Now that v13 is released, here is the list of Paladin-specific changes you will see:

• Vengeance: Improved scaling of "Aim" and "Precision." "Bleeding" chance for open wounds reduced to 30% but effect now scales. "Battering" and "Incision" scale more slowly.
  • Charge: Damage mitigation from "Resist" scales more slowly.
  • Holy Bolt: Magic damage % scales better with level. Normalized damage bonuses against Undead/Demons/T-Mutants. Magic DOT from "Lambent" scales much better.
  • Fist of the Heavens: Damage scales more slowly. Critical chance from "Amplify" scales more slowly.
  • Blessed Hammer: Reordered mods so damage/speed are bronze mods, racial damages are silver mods, and damage conversions are gold mods.
  • Conviction: Increased regeneration penalty. Duration and hits per second now match to prevent a stacking exploit. Base range reduced. Damage sensitivity reduced and scales more slowly (including "Singe/Chill/Zap"). Opponent's Armor -X% now functions correctly (was previously giving a chance to reduce armor to 0). "Assurance" reduces 1% armor per level instead of 10%. "Weaken" is replaced with "Subdue" which lowers opponent defense rating. "Singe" & "Chill" are now silver mods, "Zap" & "Subdue" are now bronze mods.
  • Holy Fire: Base damage doubled (including "Combustion"), but damage, hits per second, and chance for burn scale more slowly. Base range and range scaling reduced (including "Explosive").
  • Conversion: Increased regeneration time.
  • Holy Shield: Duration now scales (results in 2 seconds gained at max level). Energy Shield Absorption is now 50% + 0.1% per level. Max Shield Energy scales more slowly. "Dampen" now grants Energy Shield Mitigation (flat damage reduction) instead of percentage. Swapped places of "Uplifted Force" (silver) and "Ward" (gold) mods.
  • Prayer: Hitpoint regeneration effect scales more slowly. Perseverance/Insight now grant 5 Willpower/Intelligence points per level instead of 30.
  • Holy Freeze: Base range and range scaling slightly reduced.

This update is almost entirely focused on fine-tuning the combat arts and modifications.

@chattius @Androdion  This will be probably the section most relevant to you and your family's current characters.  Mostly these are just scaling adjustments, and also the mod reordering that we discussed.  One thing I snuck in there was that Holy Shield no longer grants Damage Mitigation %, but instead uses the flat values of Energy Shield Mitigation. I'd be interested to learn if the perceived effectiveness of the shield is impacted one way or another.  Also note that the cooldown reduction mod is now paired against "Uplifted Force" (max shield energy %) because my impression was that the choice was a no-brainer for players before.

• Like! 1
  • 4 months later...

For discussing:

Holy Shield and Holy Freeze build a frustrating to play combination in the words of my daughter. Every 48 seconds to recast two spells is nerving.

48s:

Pro: If the shield is down in combat you have to wait less time

Con: you spend time waiting anyway when you were running with shield up and want a fresh shield because you notice a big mob.

90s:

Pro: less nerving if you can keep your shield running

Con: Long waits if it is down. (But then you should consider yozr tactics at dangerous mobs anyway.)

I will edit spells.txt for a 90s test and report back. Gold mod will reduce coodown to 90s, CA-Level 150 (hardly reachable) will result in a 90s duration. base duration 75s.

--      entry0 = {"et_duration_sec", 4500, 1, 0, 8 },
         entry0 = {"et_duration_sec", 7500, 10, 0, 8 },

--      cooldown = 60.000000,
         cooldown = 112.000000,

The gold mod in cooldown reduction has diminishing returns!!!!

25% in spells.txt are 20% in real.

50% in spells.txt are 33% in real.

So 112s*0.8 = 89.6s close enough.

• 2 weeks later...

The longer duration makes playing a build with Holy Freeze way less annoying once you have a decent level. First levels there is some waiting for the shield leaving cooldown.

"et_regThisCool" has diminishing returns. So when fine trimming the numbers this has to be considered.

• 2 years later...

Paladin Updates in D2F v15

Zeal: bronze mod "Succession" chance for melee double hits now scales with level, and also adds extra projectiles when used with ranged weapons.

Blessed Hammer: Bronze mod "Swiftness" changed to "Pummel" (Chance for Double Hits). The small speed increase seems pointless as modification when attack speed is so easily gained from other sources.

Base skin and default armor have been tweaked. She's got more color to her lips and the gear, while exposing her midriff again, adds some more armor to her lower body.

This is with no gear equipped:

JXH42HI.jpg

Holy Freeze has brand new VFX. It now a nice inverse of Holy Fire.

nAabgfh.jpg   Mwrxeei.jpg

Adjusted some of the intense shine on the Revelation of the Seraphim set and its random variants. This was another case of an overly intense normal map.  Now the sun can shine on the metal without blinding you.

c32K1xA.jpg

Niokaste's and Megalcarwen's sets (and their random variants) adjusted to have a more heavily armored symmetrical look.  Combined with the metal shader, the sets look bit more serious if not knightly.

rDfhZRZ.jpg    rOW0GsB.jpg

Endijian's Relics armor set has new FX. Seems like this set's design was always kind of scoffed at due to how odd it looked. It looks a bit spruced up with some model work and a different shader. Still looks "ancient" but also brimming with power yet.

LVcji7Z.jpg   LeqGyzz.jpg

New weapon/shield set: Endijian's Heirlooms. Design matches Endijian's Relics armor.  It was always a shame you couldn't wield Endijian's Spear along with the shield. The devs just abandoned the shield as junk.  Now both are part of a two-piece set, similar to how Niokaste's Armor also has the sword/shield mini-set as a companion piece.  The spear is now classified as a 1h axe.  Overall the set provides big boosts to Holy Shield.

XqTMnQK.jpg   LqLZd8K.png

HdOYNMG.png   fcMirh6.png

• Respect! 1