Wolcen: Lords of Mayhem

• 2 weeks later...

Some slightly different footage here
interesting skill with all the rocks following you -pebble minions :)

steam page
http://store.steampowered.com/app/424370

“you can expect at least 5 hours of non repetitive gameplay at day 1, and of course, we plan to update the game at least every two weeks.
Since our game includes various way to develop your character, it will allow you to replay the game and randomly generated dungeon using various play style, such as brutal force, vicious strike, fire, frost and lightning magic.
Of course, you can combine any of these skills to customize your build. The fact that elements reacts with each other (fire, lightning, water and ice) also brings a lot of interesting and deep gameplay mechanisms for you to discover.”

“The current state of the game aims to test the very basics of the gameplay.
You will be able to test the first mission of the storyline, and then fight in randomly generated dungeons, with and increasing difficulty each time to clean a level.
More than 20 skills are available right now, including combos.
Element from skills and environement interact with each other : Lightning spread in water, a frozen target will unfreeze once hitby Fire, and physical attacks deals more damage agaisn frozen enemies !
Beautiful visual effects are triggered by your attacks, brining an epic feeling to the game!”

• 2 weeks later...

Alpha update

For today, we are bringing a lot of new stuff, including a whole new dodge system in the game and 13 new skills as well!
Here is the changelog, and a small video update.

New: (Game changing) Dodge system: Press the space bar to perform a quick escape move. It costs 5 stamina points, available per default.
New: 13 new Skills

Edited by CoolColJ
  • Like! 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Take a look at some gameplay footage of the per-weapon combo styles, with new work-in-progress animations. And these are just the basic combos, each combination weapon will have a special move that we haven’t shown yet. These can be a charged attack for the heavy hammer, or the ability to block incoming blows with your shield. As you’ll see we’re introducing Dual Daggers and their unique play style for the first time !

This week also marked the introduction of a new kind of particle effects for magical effects on weapons. Elemental effects and passive bonuses are now shown on your weapons and your hands with much better looking effects than before, as you can see :

Edited by CoolColJ
  • Like! 1

I was so excited when I saw this game that I immediately purchased it, like a bonehead, without checking system requirements. There's no way my piddly GeForce 240M graphics card on my laptop can run a game that needs a GTX 770 card. I'm still excited I have the game though :) Kind of bummed that I won't have the money to get a whole new system. You'd think I would have learned my lesson after buying Lichdom without checking system specs, butsometimes I gotta bash my head 3 or 4 times before it dawns on me to turn directions. Anyway, totally stoked for this game.

• Like! 1
  • 3 weeks later...

They changed mana to umbra, and the resource system

With this new system called Resource Opposition System, both Umbra and Rage will be useful, whether you play as a mage, warrior or a hybrid type of character. Because each resource fills the other in some way, every spell in the game can be useful no matter what your play style.
New passives will allow warriors to transfer Umbra into rage when hit, or delay the time before Rage starts to fill Umbra. Mages will be able to accelerate the rate at which Rage gets transferred into Umbra.
There is only one resource pool, and players will have to manage how it is spread across Umbra and Rage.

wqtfunk.jpg

New melee skills/combos and resource system for v0.2 in action
Looks pretty cool and dynamic - built in "cleave Area of Effect" for melee

https://www.twitch.tv/book_of_joshua/v/67801810

and

Weapon Based Combos

We really wanted combat in Wolcen to feel visceral and satisfying, and weapons to represent more than just a bunch of statistics.
Now your basic weapon attack (left click) will be replaced with a combo skill depending on the type of weapon equipped. Each combo is different and features unique animations, ranges and cleave angles, as well as special effects like a chance to stun.
Experienced players will be able to take advantage of mid-combo bonuses by timing their strikes, and more casual players will get to enjoy awesome animations.

This is the very first iteration of this system, for this reason there might be a few minor issues, but we really want to hear your feedback on this. The next versions will add a special move assigned to right click (like a charged attack or a guard if you have a shield equipped), and an auto-dash feature, allowing you to close-in on the enemy with a fast attack.

R.O.S
Our second big feature is one we call “Resource Opposition System”.
Early during development it became clear to the team that resource management was an issue in the game. Being classless, it featured three different resource pools: Mana, Rage and Stamina.
Players were able to empty one of those resources, and they would still have enough to cast powerful spells with the other, and then still have enough for defensive spells that used Stamina.
Our solution was a system we affectionally dubbed “Le Sablier”
Le Sablier was an hourglass-shaped resource gauge that could rotate on itself. It featured a single resource pool that changed type between mana and rage depending on which side of the hourglass it was in.
Mana flowed into Rage when it was up, and Rage slowly dripped into Mana. This system would in theory solve many issues of the old one and would add a lot of depth to the gameplay.

In the first iteration of this system you could shift the hourglass-vial whenever you wanted to, but it was too confusing to do that in the middle of combat. We then switched to an automatic system.
Because this system imposed a strict rule that resources had to transfer from the top section to the bottom one, the hourglass had to shift every-time a resource was spent.
This had the unfortunate side effect of slowing the gameplay down, so we made the difficult choice of cancelling this system.

We then developed a system not so different using simpler gauges, that allowed for resources to transfer quickly both-ways. Stamina was streamlined into points, and rolling uses one stamina point. It also was the perfect opportunity to finally rename Mana into Umbra, the magical energy of the game.

With this new system called Resource Opposition System, both Umbra and Rage will be useful, whether you play as a mage, warrior or a hybrid type of character. Because each resource fills the other in some way, every spell in the game can be useful no matter what your play style.
New passives will allow warriors to transfer Umbra into rage when hit, or delay the time before Rage starts to fill Umbra. Mages will be able to accelerate the rate at which Rage gets transferred into Umbra.
There is only one resource pool, and players will have to manage how it is spread across Umbra and Rage.

Edited by CoolColJ

I was so excited when I saw this game that I immediately purchased it, like a bonehead, without checking system requirements. There's no way my piddly GeForce 240M graphics card on my laptop can run a game that needs a GTX 770 card. I'm still excited I have the game though :) Kind of bummed that I won't have the money to get a whole new system. You'd think I would have learned my lesson after buying Lichdom without checking system specs, butsometimes I gotta bash my head 3 or 4 times before it dawns on me to turn directions. Anyway, totally stoked for this game.

Really? That's insane :eek: why does it say Geforce 400 series then on GOG? The game looks pretty good tho. Environment-wise. Not sure on the look of some of the spells. What's the roadmap for this game, anyone knows?

at least another year of development at a guess, it's only in alpha right now.

The Kickstarter pages says Oct 2016 - sioounds a bit optimistic...

there is going to be about 70 skills, so we have only seen a fraction of them

Edited by CoolColJ

We also have more footage for Two Handed Axe Combos as well as special attacks for weapons. Those will consume Rage (and refill Umbra), with various effects and synergies. The Dual Daggers Rend will make all enemies around bleed for a small amount of damage, but each strike form the combo will increase the bleed damage significantly.

The Two Handed Sword Charged attack will strike enemies in a straight line for massive amounts of damage that increases with each enemy pierced. Make sure to impale as many enemies as you can ! The Two Handed Axe Charged attack strikes in an arc in front of the players, hitting all foes caught in the blast.

The damage and range of charged attacks will vary depending on how much you charged it. Release the button too soon and it will be cancelled, too late and you won’t do maximum damage. Timing will be of the essence !

The version you are seeing right now isn’t finalized. The final one will have particle effect to make it awesome and help you see the charge levels.

giphy.gif

Finally, we revamped the camera system. The new version is much smoother, while remaining highly customizable.

By default the camera now has a smoothing effect that always the players to veer off center, allowing you to see more of the world. There’s a slider to control the amount of sway, and a dissociated camera option to always have the player on the center of the screen. Raise the slider and uncheck the dissociated camera option to return to a traditional camera style (but still smoother than it was before), or put the slider to the minimum for a super-immersive and cool looking console-style camera. The choice is yours !

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry, Timotheus, I missed your comment, I don't log in quite as much as I used to. On Steam, it says the 560 is the minimum, and the 770 is recommended. I don't mind lag, but an error box pops up, stating that my graphics card can't handle it. I guess that's as good as of an excuse as any to upgrade. I finally stopped dragging my heels and upgraded from my ancient cell to an iPhone, might as well go for a pc while I'm at it.

game is on special right now -25% Steam sale, and also -25% at GOG, but not a whole lot of content right now, but they are steadily updating it

They added an Inn to the starter town, so you can sleep/heal until a specific time of day

According to SteamSpy there are already 17+k owners on Steam, with a spike this week from the sales.

Edited by CoolColJ
  • Like! 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Today we’d like to showcase some of the upcoming additions of next week’s patch.

You probably guessed it by now; crossbows are back into the game, and they bring some friends along with them !

As you can see in the video, you can now toggle ammo modifiers when wielding a ranged weapon !

Burn your enemies with fire bolts, stun them with electric bolts and freeze them with frost ones. Explosive bolts will spread the elemental effects, for massive area-damage. We are also adding poison, stunning, piercing and ejecting ammo. All of those can be combined at the same time for devastating effects ! But that’s not all, we’ve also added multi-shot and burst-shot fire modes. Every bolt or arrow will benefit from toggled ammo modifiers.

Edited by CoolColJ
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

How very awesome! I'm trying to keep myself contented with Exanima til I can get a rig that can handle Wolcen, but with all the new improvements being made to Wolcen, it looks like I'm going to have to hurry up and make a few extra business deals.

• 2 weeks later...