Wolcen: Lords of Mayhem

I already played it, it's on Steam early access. Visually very impressive. It's not really a open world as you would expect. We will see how it changes in the coming months.

Edited by Thorium
  • Like! 1
19 hours ago, Thorium said:

I already played it, it's on Steam early access. Visually very impressive. It's not really a open world as you would expect. We will see how it changes in the coming months.

I didnt know about this early access Thorium.  Is this something that any member of Steam can do?

:)

gogo+

It's an early access game, but you need to actually buy it to play it. Right now it's 19.99 USD on Steam. Here's what they wrote about what to expect during early access.

Why Early Access?

“We want the game to be properly tested in the field while we implement the core features. Wolcen: Lords of Mayhem is an ambitious project and we want to share its evolution with the Community, gather feedback, and improve the game accordingly. The game has a lot of replayable mechanics to test as well and we want to make sure that these mechanics are appreciated and polished.
An Early access is a perfect way to achieve these goals.”

Approximately how long will this game be in Early Access?

“It is important to us that Wolcen is properly polished before its release. We hope to move to Beta during 2018. We will keep the Community informed on important future dates for Wolcen with news on Steam, the Official website, and on the Social medias.”

How is the full version planned to differ from the Early Access version?

“The Early Access version of the game will include the major gameplay features. The storyline, main quests, side quests, and other contents will only be available once the game is released.”

What is the current state of the Early Access version?

“The game presently allows you to visit an alpha quest zone for 3-5 hours, leading you to level 13-14.
You can then reach level 20 and explore the world, farm for equipment in the bounty’s infinite dungeon, make PVE challenges in the arena for exceptional rewards, or participate to the daily dungeon and compete with other players for the best time.
You can access around 400 skills in the Passive Skill Tree split in 11 archetypes so far (on 20 planned). Wolcen doesn’t force you to choose any class, so feel free to mix these archetypes for a customized experience of the game!
Around 20 spells are implemented (signature skills excluded) and more are coming. These spells can be improved as you use them and have various cool effects to increase their power and efficiency.
The environment will react to your actions and you can perform elemental combos to affect your enemies.”

Will the game be priced differently during and after Early Access?

“Yes. As the content gets implemented, the price of the game will increase progressively.”

How are you planning on involving the Community in your development process?

“The community has various ways to communicate and share with us, on these last 2 years we have been able to improve the game a lot thanks to the community feedback and reports. 
Official forums and Steam forums can be used to express issues, ideas, feedback in general, or even report bugs. 
Trello is used for the Roadmap, Suggestions and the Bug tracker. 
We also gather your reactions from various social medias (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Youtube, Twitch, streamers in general). If we can, we participate to streaming and provide answers to some questions.
Finally, all developers are on Wolcen’s official server on Discord.
All the useful links to communicate with us are available here: https://wolcengame.com/forums/topic/usefull-links-for-wolcen/.
We have a dedicated Community Manager to take care of our Community and ensure that while we develop the game we all stay connected to your needs, your opinions, and what you expect from us so our great game will also be your great game.”

Yeah, thats how early access works. You get a unfinished game to test and give feedback. You need to pay for it, but it's cheaper than the release version, however you don't need to pay for the release version if you have the early access version.

• Thanks! 1

Now, I've told y'all before that I consider "good" and "bad" to be subjective, which is why I don't often use those terms. I also don't like comparisons; "if you liked game A,  game B will totally blow your mind". Often times in the past, I've purchased "game B" because of statements like that, and while I've loved game A, I've found that game B did blow, but not my mind. With this in mind, I can make a few statements about Wolcen. In early 2017, I made the switch from laptop to desktop, for the sole purpose of playing Wolcen. My laptop ran and did everything else I needed it to. But this is a purchase that I not only have no regrets about, but would also go back and do a second time if need be. Now, you might think "Gilbey, that's not saying much , man, how could you regret an upgrade?". Well, coming from me, that's kind of a big deal. I spent hundreds of dollars to play something that I bought for $20. In addition to that, I have a three year old, so y'all know how that goes; I don't have a lot of "me" money right now. So, when I make a purchase for myself, I don't do it lightly. Even before that, I've never made purchases lightly.  I have a lot of hobbies, but the very first and foremost of them are minerals, which some don't understand "what's the big deal, it's a rock, I bought a half ton of gravel to fill my driveway." That's not something I can really debate; ya either get it or ya don't. Anyway, I weigh all purchases against minerals. Regardless of how much or little a purchase costs, I can guarantee you that I can find a mineral of equal monetary value. And the thing with me and minerals is I never grow tired of them. I have the very first mineral I ever mined, and the awe and appreciation I have for it has never diminished. I take it off it's shelf and go outside on my patio and look at it in the sun almost every day. I can't say that for pretty much any other form of entertainment. My favorite book is A Separate Reality: Further Conversations with Don Juan, my favorite movies are the original Terminator and Hot Tub Time Machine, and my favorite game is Sacred 2. However, with all these things, I've read, watched, and played them less and less, until they eventually sit on the shelf and gather dust. Not minerals, man. Heck, I have a rutilated quartz sitting next to me right now as I'm typing this. So, long story short, my motto is "when in doubt, buy the rock". Wolcen is one of the times where I've bought the game instead of the rock, even though I had my eye on a nice smoky amethyst cluster, and have no regrets, even though the smoky amethyst had been sold when I went back to V Rock later that week. So, friends, take from that what you will.

The only feature of Wolcen that I don't have much use for is the house building concept, but I think that feature has been temporarily put on hold. It was kind of cool, but if I wanted to build a house, I'd play Rising World. But that's another game and another conversation for another time :)

• Like! 1
On 5/1/2018 at 10:07 PM, Gilberticus said:

The only feature of Wolcen that I don't have much use for is the house building concept, but I think that feature has been temporarily put on hold. It was kind of cool, but if I wanted to build a house, I'd play Rising World. But that's another game and another conversation for another time :)

What do you think about the visual character customization? Do you use it?

I think it's not really adding anything to the game, the only thing I change is hair style and color.

12 hours ago, Gilberticus said:

I like  the character customization, and I do indeed use it. Some might say that it adds very little. A few hair styles and eye/skin/hair color, but big deal. You can change their weight, big deal. I personally like it, for role playing purposes. I can make a character completely emaciated, morbidly obese, and everything in between. That, for me, is great. As far as adding anything to the game, no, it doesn't. A skeletal figure can swing a giant claymore just as easily as a big burly beefcake. But that's not why I like character customization. I like it for the fact that all of my characters have backstories. All of my characters start off as slaves in the gladiator arena of Exanima. Each character  has a very specific body type, for a variety of reasons. So, body customization is greatly appreciated by me, as it visually aids in me transitioning my characters from the arena into games like Skyrim and Wolcen. So, while the general player might not have much appreciation for it, I do.

However, I hope they tweak that aspect a little, because as it stands, all of my characters look the same in the face. So, I'd like my characters to look different, rather than just the same man and woman at various stages of weight/muscle gain/loss.

That's an excellent post

Giving meaning to the look with a backstory makes the gameplay even more of a compelling driver

:)

gogo

I'm not sure. Pronunciations are sometimes a head-trip, man. For example, my friend's name is pronounced scythe, like the cutting tool. However, it's spelled Sbddb. Seriously, man, in what world does that make sense? And that right there is why I'm happy I'm not a college English prof (which was my first course of action). I'd be the prof, standing in the front of the class the first day, "Holy crap, how in the world am I supposed to pronounce this, there's like sixteen consonants and one vowel? You know, if it's cool with you, we're just going to call you........ Thunder cat. And this young man, I'm not even attempting that, we'll call you.... Skittles."

• Like! 1
  • 2 years later...

Well, this game got off to a pretty rough start, to put it mildly. :lol:

There's a significant patch coming out this month, so I'll may reinstall this game and give it another go then. If not then, definitely when they release that Second Dawn content update later this year.

To be honest, I didn't mind my time with this game and I had some fun with it. Its not even close to its potential (assuming it ever reaches it) though. I did enjoy the base-building part of the end game. I wish more games would have things like that.

It was hugely popular when it came out, but i dont seem to hear or read much about it anymore.  Alas... I'm hook lined and sinker with d3 for years now... always seems to be something of interest for me everytime I start to peck at it over theseyears

:lol:

gogo

I actually didn't follow the kickstarter, so I missed some of the drama with it. I did buy it when it came out cuz I was bored (story of my life). Apparently it was originally open-world, then they completely changed it. Probably don't blame them, a massive open-world APRG would be really difficult to pull off. Sacred 1/2 are the only examples that spring to mind, and I'm sure they were pretty hard to pull off.

I used to play this game when it was released on Steam and quit playing it not long after the first major patch was released some 6-8 weeks after.

Although I like(d) the story of the game, my main concerns were A) the fact each and every boss - well, I made it to the 2nd before giving up - was able to summon summoners, who were then able to summon more summoners who were able to summon minions, so eventually a BOSS-fight turned out to be a fight against an army of drones and the occasional hit at the boss. And all that while the boss itself also casts AOD, making it even harder to avoid being hit.

And B) the fact that for the game only one or two builds were strong enough to deal with the above, basically resulting in players cloning those builds and not using their own imagination.

I "think" the main reason for the above two problems was that the game was developed with SP, MP and Co-op in mind, meaning that with a party of 4 it'll be a lot easier to control minions spawned by a boss as it was in SP. I dunno if that has changed yet, but perhaps over time I may give the game a try again. Or not, depending at my mood and the fact I'm currently up to my neck in FO-4 and Skyrim SE. :D

Thorin :)

Yeah, those boss fights were pretty annoying. I swallowed my pride and dropped the difficulty level just to get by them. I'm glad you only have to do the campaign once and can skip it with future characters.

The campaign isn't even finished yet, there's 1-2 acts missing.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
On 7/28/2020 at 5:57 PM, Perdition said:

Looks like 1.16 is out now and it has a ton of changes. Almost tempted on firing this up again.

yo!

you there! all you lazy potatoes on your couch over there! Move it!

Pronto!

Nah, just kidding, no need to get up,

at least not for Wolcen, it's now no longer necessary anymore, remain seated at ease  :)

I had almost forgotten about this game,

but it just popped up in my steam 'what's new' area :

it appears, that today, Wolcen released it's 'controller support' patch some have been asking over & over again..

so they managed to 'quickly' implement it as promised / demanded,

and here we are, only a few patches and almost exactly 2 years later :)

dare to 'fire it up' ? anyone? ;)

Edited by Rotluchs
  • Haha 1
2 hours ago, Rotluchs said:

yo!

you there! all you lazy potatoes on your couch over there! Move it!

Pronto!

Nah, just kidding, no need to get up,

at least not for Wolcen, it's now no longer necessary anymore, remain seated at ease  :)

I had almost forgotten about this game,

but it just popped up in my steam 'what's new' area :

it appears, that today, Wolcen released it's 'controller support' patch some have been asking over & over again..

so they managed to 'quickly' implement it as promised / demanded,

and here we are, only a few patches and almost exactly 2 years later :)

dare to 'fire it up' ? anyone? ;)

Ill always stand up for our lazy potato rights Rotluchs! :lol: 

Always awesome seeing you back ooold friend :pirate: ...fire it up eh?

Wolcen wasnt actually a game i got into, but I guess its got its fans ? Is it being modded like Sacred as much?

:JC_PacMan:

gogo

unfortunately not although I guess theoretically it could be. there were a few mods when it was released years ago but it's all abandoned projects now.

after the devs went silent (again) earlier this year for a long period, it was unclear what eas going to happen if anything at all.

fact seems to be, they're still recruiting people for their team in france, some job descriptions say its for an unannounced project in unreal engine 5.

rumour has it thats its most likely about an engine shift or switch from current cry engine over to Unreal 5 engine.. but could theoretically be an entirely new game as well.

with the last dev update that came prior to the current patch a few days ago,

they at least confirmed they will continue wolcens story by adding at least act 4 that has been promised right from the start.. theyre working on it, who knows how long it will take however..

cant wait, am curious how they resolve the current cliffhanger after act 3,and what they have in mind when they say it's tailored towards replayability /new endgame activities..

by the time then I might have a new gfx card my 1050 ti 4gb is just way too slow now, need a new one.. dont care which one or if used/new, just noticeable faster :(  but stuff is still so expensive.. would even go for a second hand one if its from a trustworthy seller.. not sure if I can wait much longer, middle class of the next gen won't hit shelves 2022..

Edited by Rotluchs

I found Wolcen to be a thoroughly enjoyable adventure.  While I would rank it below an S-tier game like Grim Dawn, Titan Quest, or Diablo2-3, it's a solid A-tier for sure, on par with Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing or Warhammer Chaosbane.

The graphics are way better than they have any right to be, the story and voice-acting are pretty good. Gameplay and character building are competently done but not groundbreaking.

XNMdWzp.jpg   oG8Honw.png 

QIyf42S.jpg  FDOd5an.jpg 

PzUuRk8.png

• Like! 1