Block, resist, reflect mechanics in Niob

The story continues... :blush:

I'm low level through Niob, playing a melee HE and using a mix of Crystal Skin/Grand Invigoration/Constitution/Shield Lore while using a shield with "%chance to block: close combat". So here's the deal:

- How does the shields' modifier level up, or better put how much compared to the skill level? What I mean to ask is how soon can I get to 100% with the added 18% from the skill's mastery bonus?

- The Wiki says that when the modifier is available from different pieces of gear one gets diminishing returns, but I'll be honest and admit I don't understand the formula. So in layman's terms, how does it stack up from different sources?

- I have a torso armour with that modifier, but while in Platinum I couldn't get the full bonus from adding that one and the shield's in Niob I can. Is that due to the aforementioned diminishing returns or is the maximum value for a modifier capped according to character level and/or difficulty level? Because I've noticed the same behaviour with, for instance, the modifier "-%opponent can evade attacks". Do all modifiers have diminishing returns when being added from different pieces of gear? And if so, how can one predict that behaviour as to not overuse them and maximize the available slots?

- Last but not the least. Given the skill set and CA/modifiers I use to prevent damage, and taking into consideration the inherent lack of proper damage mitigation for my HE, how can I get optimal survival skills? Getting Constitution and SL to mastery, as well as having the "block close combat" modifier stacked up to 100% does the trick for melee (and ranged shouldn't be much of a problem), but how about magic based CAs? I do have Spell Resistance, which together with CS's reflect chance does help, but how high do I need to get both of those as to become "tough" in Niob? I guess that there's no equipment with a scaling bonus to "%block chance: CA" right?

Yeah, all too many questions here. I have time though. ;)

PS: Small correction: I have 10.3% bonus from torso armour and 63.2% from the shield, which amounts to a grand total of... 64.4% block chance: close combat. Diminishing returns much?!

Edited by Androdion

Yes, diminishing returns

And even more confusing the value shown at shields for blocking is already the value after the diminishing returns factor without other items

• Like! 1

Yes, diminishing returns

And even more confusing the value shown at shields for blocking is already the value after the diminishing returns factor without other items

So without any added factors the shield value is the same as the one displayed in the sigma, yeah I've noticed that. Kind of makes sense but at the same time it doesn't help if one wants to do calculations with other items involved...

I tried my best to apply the formula to the values I pointed above and I ended with a total block chance of 64.59%, so I guess that rounded up and all I think I got the formula (more or less). And now to do the reversion for a total value of 82% (mastery level with 18% bonus, gets you 100% block chance).

Note: So if my math is somewhat correct, for a value of 100% block chance at SL mastery the torso armour bonus won't count for nothing?! :mellow:

0.82 = x + 0.103*(1-x)^2 => (x needs to be 0.18, which is already the mastery bonus?!)

I don't think the formula is so easy:

Someone said the normal block chance without diminishing returns applied with a shield with block chance scaling with shield lore would be a line.

So if it is a line and plotting the diminishing returns shown when looking at the shield at different shield lore points could give a guess to the formula applied, probably something like a hyperbel.

If you use a shield which has base-defense scaling with shield lore and have a class with high +x% defense combat arts the shield works fine in areas with mixed melee and archer enemies and the 18% from shield lore are an independent bonus in this case.

• Like! 1

Yeah, I don't think so either but I was just trying to work on it with my limited skills. ;)

I guess what you mean is that like any other skill the more it advances in level the less return it brings?! Granted, that seems to be the case for pretty much any skill apart from those which keep giving you some benefits (Constitution always giving you extra HP for instance).

I really notice the difference between using a shield which blocks close combat and others which don't though. It's almost like it's "+%evade attacks", so I guess that since I play highly focused on Magic Coup I should have it as high as possible. I'm working my way to mastery level now and I'll see how it fares in the long term with "+all skills" bonuses. My biggest gripe is with magical resistance which seems to be the downfall of my build so far.

So, accounting for that, is it worth pumping up the Spell Resistance skill or should I invest in other means to overcome that fault?