Evacuation from Fort McMurray live footage of Wildfires

I'm not sure if you guys know but west of where we are here in Canada, in the province of Alberta, there's serious wild fires breaking out with a mass evacuation happening. I've been reading and hearing all day reports of people fleeing in their cars attempting to stay ahead of the fires, my heart goes out to the familes and the brave firefighters and all the communities helping out to get everyone out. This video seems almost too surreal to be real, like something out of a videogame of hell

:o

gogo

Even we live in a forest - luckily we life in a mixed forest. Needle woods areas are only islands. Beech and oak are way less dangerous. Oil in tree needles gases out and create fire storms.

Most dangerous areas in germany are in heath lands with lot of pines. They do a belt from netherlands to poland north of the mid german mountain range where I live.

When being a firefighter at army we had a training video of the 1975 'Fire on the Lüneburg Heath'

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fire_on_the_L%C3%BCneburg_Heath

No access roads for normal fire trucks, fire trucks at this time were not all wheel driven,... A case of emergency was called out. Big 40 tons Leopard based pioneer tanks with bulldozer blades where send to fight a way to the fire and create aisles of no burnable stuff. Police trucks with anti riot water guns, france sent firefighting water planes, english army at the rhine garnisons sent troops with pioneer gear. German railraod created a firefighting train with water tanks and water guns to build an aisle along the railroods...

Firefighting laws were changed after and no new disaster like this happened in germany again. Also there are many obsolete army tanks now. Some of them are redigned as firefighting tanks, bulldozer blade like the ones used in 1975, but also 10tons of water and long reaching water guns,...

Driving a czech build SPOT55 while on a firefighter show was fun. It is based on an old, obsolete and cheap russian T55 main battle tank. Actually I would prefer these old diesel engines over new gas turbines while fighting through a forest fire.

feuerloeschpanzer-spot-55-cps--36626.jpg

An armoured fighting vehicle 'Marder' rebuild into a fast rescue tank in case people are trapped in a fire:

112260-large.jpg

• Like! 1

They're going to try moving people in a convoy down the highway... trying to get the population to the major cities in Albert, Edmonton and Calgary... it's going to be a caravan/convoy of hundreds of vehicles with helicopters in the forefront watching to see if fires come into cut them off. They airlifted 25 000 people yesterday to another city with a bunch of airliners waiting to fly them to safety... way to go West Jet!!

:blink:

gogo

I just heard about this. From the report I read, everybody has been safely evacuated, so there was no loss of life (reported). I hope the fire is out soon so no one else has to lose everything they own.

Best of luck to you and your countrymen gogo.

Edited by Spock
  • Like! 1

It looks like the brunt of the fires has moved away from populations... have you seen pix of the entire town taken out by fire? Like someone passed an eraser and took out all the colors, leaving behind charcoal black frames, and a post apocalyptic war zone

:o

gogo

This is pretty cool...the provincial govt there has released an app for residents to download and then see whether their house is still there or burnt up.. this is to make insurance claims easier/faster...

These before/after pics are scary

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/fort-mcmurray-damage-satellite-1.3583052

:blink:

gogo

The aftermath of these fires is always terrible, we've had our fair share in Australia and I wouldn't wish it on anyone. I hope that everything works out well for those displaced by the fires.

• Like! 1