Do certain skills appear on the char screen only after reaching a certain level?

I have 3 questions. First, do certain skills appear on the character screen only after you've reached a certain level and, secondly, is that why I'm not seeing it on the screen? Or is it something only certain character classes can use?

If you look at the skills tab you'll notice that skills are divided into categories. Combat art skills (various colours), offensive skills (red), defensive skills (yellow) and general skills (green).

Furthermore within these categories the skills are ordered into two columns (left and right). The leftmost columns are primary skill picks. You can always pick those (granted you have a new skill slot unlocked). The rightmost column are secondary skill picks and can only be picked once you five points invested into it's skill category.

Example: The Dryad cannot pick Armor Lore right away and needs to put five points into either Shield Lore, Combat Reflexes or Spell Resistance (or a combination hereof). Or the High Elf cannot pick Damage Lore right away and needs to invest five points into either Tactics Lore, Sword Weapons or Magic Staffs if she wants access to Damage Lore.

But if the skill simply isn't there on the skills tab chances are that the character doesn't have access to it at all. Not all characters have access to all skills. Some of it makes sense. You have no use for Warding Energy Lore if you don't have a Warding Energy combat art. Thus this skill is only available to the Temple Guardian and the Seraphim. Conversely the Temple Guardian can't use shields or two-handed weapon due to him only having one arm so he can't pick Pole Weapons or Shield Lore either.

But sometimes a given character simply cannot learn a specific skill for no particular reason. Shadow Warriors can regretfully never become Bargainers. Dryads can never become smiths (as that would be a male-exclusive profession within their society). Temple Guardians cannot become Alchemists. Neither the Dryad nor the High Elf can learn the Toughness skills as they are supposed to be light offensive classes.

Both the Ice and Blood expansion as well as the Community Patch gives access to a couple of skills for more characters. The skills in question is Magic Staffs and Ancient Magic. In the original game Both the Seraphim and the Temple Guardian lacked access to Ancient Magic despite both having caster focused trees, but the Shadow Warrior who is mainly a warrior has access. Ice and blood gives Ancient Magic to the Seraphim. The Community Patch gives it to the Temple Guardian. Originally Magic Staffs was only available for the High Elf and the Inquisitor, both characters who for different reasons were very unlikely to ever pick the skill. Ice and Blood changed the underused Magic staffs skills to make you fire staff bolts from your staff if you did a normal attack with them while having the Magic Staffs skill and gave the skill to all characters but the Shadow Warrior and the Temple Guardian.

Detailed answer Little Faith, thank you

:)

gogo

It's really easy to mod the game to add skills for a character. If you want I can tell you how.

So there is a way that I can swap out a skill and give my Shadow Warrior Bargaining? Might pointing me to a simple set of instructions on how to do this.

Thanks a ton Flix

Actually the easiest way to gain any skill is to use the Sacred 2 character editor (link in my signature).

But to actually mod the skill choices into the game to be chosen "properly" by the character all you need to do is this:

1. Open creatures.txt (located in <installation folder>/scripts/server/)

2. Do a search for: mgr.addCreatureSkill = function(a,b) -- this is the beginning of the list of skills each creature has.

3. Paste in this entry:

mgr.addCreatureSkill( 93, {
	skill_id = 25,
	advanced = 1,
	skill_name = "skill_trader",
})

Anywhere within the list of skills is fine. I would keep them at the top or bottom of the list to keep it neat.

Explanation: "93" is the ID for the Shadow Warrior. "25" is the skill ID for Bargaining. The "advanced" line means it is either primary "0" or secondary "1".

Using this method, any skill can be a possible choice for any character. All you have to do is assign the right character ID and the right skill ID, and then decide which column (primary/secondary) it appears in. Note that putting too many skills in one column can make them hang down off the bottom of the interface, but it has no ill effects other than looking bad.

The character creature ID's are:

Shadow Warrior = 93

Seraphim = 1

Inquisitor = 51

Temple Guardian = 210

Dragon Mage = 1949

Dryad = 94

High Elf = 209

The skill ID's you can find by searching the names.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I was under the impression that you needed five points in a single primary skill in order to unlock the secondary column in that category.

IIRC you only need to spend 5 points within that tier to unlock the secondary skills....so any combination will work as long as it totals 5 points in the primaries for that group. It can be all in 1 skill or spread out over 2-3

• Like! 1

Just double checked...made a new Dragon Mage and put 3 points in Constitution and 2 in Armor Lore and the Secondary skills for that group became available

ok it is possible, but does it make sense?

is it probably wasting of skill places if I use two skills to unlock another?

It would definitely be a niche application and not something you'd do regularly.