Need some input and insight ...

Just upgraded the Blog on my old teaching website. It makes me wonder why I bother. I'm sure no one has even bothered to visit since I stopped teaching back in (July?) 2006.

I have been keeping it "alive" mainly in the hope that I could teach again. If so, I would have a valid use for the website.

There is some specific game related information that is stored on it that I agreed to host from other gamers. But that will get transferred to someone else soon, so I can delete it from my website.

I have posts in my forum about my parents that I created to show them and ask for their input. It never happened; they died before seeing anything.

I have a lot of basic student websites I'm hosting from when I taught basic HTML but finally locked out any outside (student or other) changes when some spammer attacked and added spam scripts to the index files at the beginning of all the sites. I cleaned up the trash, set the sites back to their original condition and finally changed the file accesses so that only I had change access.

Most of the information links are most likely out of date. It would require me to manually revisit each and make a programming data change to the page displaying the links.

I would appreciate it if I could get input that would help me to decide on keeping the website or finally putting it out of its misery.

The website is located at:

PCTalk.info

• Like! 1

Stuff like this's is so personal Spock. It's like having a diary and saying that you're going to tear out pages of it... heart wrenching decisions... I guess it comes down to hosting... for a site like ours at DarkMatters, we need a lot of good hosting that can handle dynamic pages because we have thousands of visitors here per month, peeps are using downloads, making posts and manifesting pages... maybe for something like yours it would be possible to convert it to something like a "flat" site with not too many links? Lately Schot has been a huge fan of Name Cheap for unbelievably low prices on hosting...I think they have something like once a year hosting that's a dollar or something? He loves their service, and while we can't use them ourselves because our sites are too big and we're getting a great deal with MDD Hosting, maybe, if you looked at their site and saw great pricing, having to make this decision would not be needed and you can just pay to keep them there... who knows, one day you may decide to have fun with them again.

:)

gogo

You're both partially correct. Less expensive hosting would make it easier to bear but I need something more than flat hosting.

I'm also sad because I put so much personal work into the site and now it's collecting cobwebs. I meant it to be something useful but nobody, even my former students, seem to care.

If I can farm off the important information to good, stable homes, I can probably let the rest go with little or no qualms. The biggest problem right now is that there are literally GB of important information that I am hosting for others. It needs to be handled with tender, loving care.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a basic HTML Might & Magic site that I gave over to Sorcerers.Net. You may be able to do the same with the Sacred 2 sites that you are hosting.

I already have a new home for the Sacred 2 information. I just wish I could find a good home for the rest of the game information.

[Added]
Just checked out Sorcerer's Place and it looks like a good deal with one minor problem ... advertising. I set my sites up on my own dime because I hate having to fight advertising on other sites and didn't want my users to have to do the same on my sites. Also, once hosted on Sorcerer's Place, you aren't allowed to place any other advertising or reciprocal links to other sites ... another thing that I allow on my site. :(

I have a feeling that the game information contained on my PCTalk site will eventually just go away due to lack of interest. :(

Edited by Spock

I don't envy your decision Spock and unfortunately I don't have any good advice. I have several projects I worked on when younger that really have no relevance in today's world. Mostly communication sytem drawings that are using outdated technology. But the designs took ages to do and while some were implemented most never saw the light of day.

Difference for me is that most are in blueprint form so I have a hard copy of them all. I haven't looked at them in years but I could never think of throwing them away. Those drawings are a part of me and my growth and I feel like I would lose a piece of me if they were gone.

But for you, it's the case of hosting costs...and I do not know how much your site means to you or it's worth in your eyes. Even if it's not being used/accessed I'm sure you put your heart into it and would be loathe to lose it. Do you maintain any contact with former students? Maybe one of them would like to maintain your legacy and maybe update with theirs?

I don't envy your decision Spock and unfortunately I don't have any good advice. I have several projects I worked on when younger that really have no relevance in today's world. Mostly communication sytem drawings that are using outdated technology. But the designs took ages to do and while some were implemented most never saw the light of day.

Difference for me is that most are in blueprint form so I have a hard copy of them all. I haven't looked at them in years but I could never think of throwing them away. Those drawings are a part of me and my growth and I feel like I would lose a piece of me if they were gone.

But for you, it's the case of hosting costs...and I do not know how much your site means to you or it's worth in your eyes. Even if it's not being used/accessed I'm sure you put your heart into it and would be loathe to lose it. Do you maintain any contact with former students? Maybe one of them would like to maintain your legacy and maybe update with theirs?

I'm only in touch with three of my previous students of all those I've taught. One is in worse financial straights than I am. The other two are old enough they have trouble using a computer, much less maintaining an extensive website. :(

I will always have the website in one form or another, as I have multiple copies of it. It just won't be accessible to anyone who may want to have access to the data. Like I said, the Sacred/Sacred 2 information will eventually be moving to another host, it's mainly the FATE game Mods that will no longer be publicly available. I will still have access but no one else will. Also the Mod history contained in the forum will go away.