Pokemon Go - anyone already made it to the Darwinawards?

I know of a teenage girl who was hit by a car while crossing a highway in search of one of the Pokemons. She wasn't killed or even seriously hurt thankfully. But I'm sure it's only a matter of time.

I live in a very touristy area...one of the drawbacks of living on a beach I guess. So we have a lot of college kids and families down for the summer. Our population typically grows by 5 times the normal. So I see soooooo many teens and people in their early 20's walking down the street/sidewalk with their face glued to their phone. Even see bicyclists doing it fairly often (Don't get me started on people driving doing it).

Kids are always captivated by something....1st it was tv, then gaming consoles/pc's, to Gameboys and now smartphones...only problem is, it's all trending mobile/handhelds....instead of being a couch potato, they are now 'walking' potatos. Already had to fire a couple 'walkers' as they just couldn't put their phone down and actually work. In many ways I'm glad I grew up before all this technology. I would hate to be a slave to a smart phone. I mean I use my smart phone all the time but I use it to actually call people and almost all the apps on it are work-related.

So smombie is a perfect word for them. If I go to the mall (which I try to do as infrequently as possible) I always have kids walk into me. Oh I could move aside and give them room. But it's so much more fun watching them bump into me and then look up at an ugly 6'6" 260 pound (198 cm/118kg for my metric friends) guy with a grimace. Some just gape and sidle away. Some will profusely apologize. It's the little things I enjoy in life lol. When they bump into me it's like they're waking up from a dream. They are disorientated and need a moment or two to take in the surroundings and get their bearings....so looking at me freaks them out a bit :)

aahahah so evil... and yet Im guilty of this pleasure as well.. sometimes I just wont move and just stand still when I see a completely absorbed player walking ... BOOM... ahhh, what is the skein of evol that comforts us...

:devil:

gogo

Seeing these smombies playing Pokemon Go, standing on a street, watching the displays and not moving away when a firetruck is at full speed ...

Driver did an emergency braking and was close to kill the smombies, shouting 'Fight the SMOMBIES!'

SMOMBIE was voted the youth word of the year in germany. A smombie is a smartphone zombie, a person who walks as brainless as a zombie because its full concentration is on the display.

There have been reports of a massive infestation of them on a western Montreal corner near me... ruuuuuuuuun....

Police called in to quell the riot... apparently Dragonite had made an appearance!

:)

gogo

One of our hospitals has had its Emergency Department swamped because it is a designated area for Pokamon, and in an article in a national newspaper only the other day a sex shop was turning away young kids because it was a designated pokamon site. The latest is complaints from a mountain rescue team because they are having to rescue totally unprepared idiots from a mountain top because there are pokamon up there of all places!

I wonder who are the bigger idiots, the players or the idiots who chose where to put the pokamon? Wish I could have chosen where the pokamon go as I can think of a few places to shove them"

Edited by podgie_bear
  • Like! 1

One of our hospitals has had its Emergency Department swamped because it is a designated area for Pokamon, and in an article in a national newspaper only the other day a sex shop was turning away young kids because it was a designated pokamon site. The latest is complaints from a mountain rescue team because they are having to rescue totally unprepared idiots from a mountain top because there are pokamon up there of all places!

I wonder who are the bigger idiots, the players or the idiots who chose where to put the pokamon? Wish I could have chosen where the pokamon go as I can think of a few places to shove them"

I nominate volcanoes!

• Like! 1

Mountaintops would be bad as would the sex shops...I wonder how they decide where to 'place' them. I do know that the terrain type and time of day play a factor...all it takes is for a couple Pokemons to be placed in bad neighborhoods and these kids get robbed (and hope only to be robbed). I'm a pretty big guy and there are areas in Boston I would never venture into, even in broad daylight.

I read something somewhere where people were hacking the game and putting in fake locations to lure kids to them and rob them. Nothing easier than having your victim come to you.

I don't care about Pokemons or this game at all, but I can see the allure of it. But there is simply no way the game developers can vet all locations. I couldn't do it for the area I live in and I've been here most of my life. Sooner or later someone is going to get seriously hurt or killed. All I can see are tragedies and lawsuits coming in the near future.

I mean it would be one thing to organize an event at a large park and have a Pokemon scavenger hunt there. You would be able to control it and even have a police presence. But sending kids unsupervised all over town just doesn't sound like a good idea to me. Sooner or later something bad is bound to happen.

• Like! 1

Several smombies were captured pokemon hunting at a german army training place. There was real ammunition (not laser) training going on. The watchouts luckily got them early enough and the smombies had a hard time to make sure they were no spies, terrorists or trying to steal weapons.

• Like! 1

Mountaintops would be bad as would the sex shops...I wonder how they decide where to 'place' them. I do know that the terrain type and time of day play a factor...all it takes is for a couple Pokemons to be placed in bad neighborhoods and these kids get robbed (and hope only to be robbed). I'm a pretty big guy and there are areas in Boston I would never venture into, even in broad daylight.

I read something somewhere where people were hacking the game and putting in fake locations to lure kids to them and rob them. Nothing easier than having your victim come to you.

I don't care about Pokemons or this game at all, but I can see the allure of it. But there is simply no way the game developers can vet all locations. I couldn't do it for the area I live in and I've been here most of my life. Sooner or later someone is going to get seriously hurt or killed. All I can see are tragedies and lawsuits coming in the near future.

I mean it would be one thing to organize an event at a large park and have a Pokemon scavenger hunt there. You would be able to control it and even have a police presence. But sending kids unsupervised all over town just doesn't sound like a good idea to me. Sooner or later something bad is bound to happen.

I think they're expecting children to be supervised and for older people to be knowledgeable enough of their own neighborhood to know where it's likely they shouldn't go. I don't see that as unreasonable assumption.

The occasions where kids are being robbed the criminals are using the in app ping ability. Scary enough it's not even a hack. They just ping that they found a hot spot of pokemon and people come running to that location.

I couldn't play this game personally but atleast it has otherwise couch ridden gamers outside walking.

• Like! 1

the game doesn't even stop from "older" people!

watching a guy at middle of 40s, walking on the sideway as a smombie, running in to a trash can and falling head down.

lying on the ground he push up his smartphone and shout "Gotcha". that was the moment, I was nearly also lying on the ground laughing, remembering the movie (80s?) combined with the situation. :D

and as having the same "size" as Knuckles I also like playing "rock" for those smombies! :devil:

• Like! 1

I also joined the Pokemon Go bandwagon but I don't play it like a zombie. I didn't change my regular route going to work. I make do with what pokestop I encounter and I've had to run away from many pokemons because I don't like playing it when there is too many people around. But I don't see myself playing it for a long time.

• Like! 1
  • 2 weeks later...

My wife works at the local police station and it seems that pokemon have made an appearance there, with idiots milling outside the building complaining that they can't get inside to catch them. And one idiot member of civilian support staff taken to hospital when she fell down the stairs trying to catch one. Serves her right!

Edited by podgie_bear

Some of the players are really starting to annoy me....oh I haven't encountered any personally but when they damage property, especially historic sites, well something needs to be done.....they even posted a night guard at Fort Pheonix but players are still sneaking in, urinating, digging holes (why dig holes?) leaving trash and even destoying portions of the walls. The fort is from the Revolutionary War/ War of 1812 era and while it didn't play a significant role in either war....it's still a part of US history/lore

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2016/08/08/pokemon-go-damage-fairhaven-fort-phoenix/?cid=facebook_WBZ_|_CBS_Boston

If PokemonGo would have been programmed in Russia and Trump being president, I bet the national guard would have the order to shoot every player as a possible spy ;)

A friend at police said: There are less than 1% restricted areas, but why are more than 5% of the pokemons in them?

Is Google trying to map areas where their cars couldn't drive?

• Like! 1

If PokemonGo would have been programmed in Russia and Trump being president, I bet the national guard would have the order to shoot every player as a possible spy ;)

A friend at police said: There are less than 1% restricted areas, but why are more than 5% of the pokemons in them?

Is Google trying to map areas where their cars couldn't drive?

That's an interesting point. The game does use the camera.

• Like! 1