Weapon Combat Arts Better With Two-Hand?......

Just started playing this awesome game again (while also just having started 1 again - I can't make my mind up :P) and made a Shadow Warrior and eventually decided on dual wielding, but then I looked at my combat art damage and long story short - combat art damage seems to only be based off one weapon even when dual wielding.

So unless im missing something, if you are going to be using weapon combat arts (the SW classes majority of offensive skills being made up of them for a good example) then two-handed would be far superior to dual wielding, due to combat arts damage being based off a weapon with double the damage of a dual wielding weapon. (2H compared to a 1H) In theory.

People say you attack quicker with dual wield so better DPS but two-handers generally have double the damage of a one-hander, so while you may be hitting, somewhat, quicker with two one-handers doing 50dmg each, its basically the same if not worse than hitting somewhat slower with a 100dmg two-hander. You would have to attack twice as quick just to break even, have +100% attack speed just from dual wielding which is definitely not the case.

And unless this game has changed anything for this specific reason, 2H weapons can and do up to around double the damage of an equivalent 1H, roughly.

The only benefit I can see to dual wielding over two-handed where weapon based combat art classes or builds come into play, is the more sockets and more weapon variety for better roll chances.

Am I missing something here or am I spot on in this specific, special circumstance? (When using weapon based combat arts) Maybe 2H weapons in Sacred 2 specifically don't actually have double the damage of an equivalent 1H or I somehow have it wrong otherwise?

Cheers.

If I am right, here is a compiled list of combat arts that this would hold true for, interestingly:

http://www.sacredwiki.org/index.php/Sacred_2:Weapon_Damage_Based_Combat_Arts

P.S my auto attacks and combat art attacks were only roughly 10% slower in attack speed than when dual wielding, not nearly slower enough imo if weapon combat arts are only based off one weapon.

Edited by Whiskiz
  • Like! 1

Just started playing this awesome game again (while also just having started 1 again - I can't make my mind up :P) and made a Shadow Warrior and eventually decided on dual wielding, but then I looked at my combat art damage and long story short - combat art damage seems to only be based off one weapon even when dual wielding.

So unless im missing something, if you are going to be using weapon combat arts (the SW classes majority of offensive skills being made up of them for a good example) then two-handed would be far superior to dual wielding, due to combat arts damage being based off a weapon with double the damage of a dual wielding weapon. (2H compared to a 1H) In theory.

People say you attack quicker with dual wield so better DPS but two-handers generally have double the damage of a one-hander, so while you may be hitting, somewhat, quicker with two one-handers doing 50dmg each, its basically the same if not worse than hitting somewhat slower with a 100dmg two-hander. You would have to attack twice as quick just to break even, have +100% attack speed just from dual wielding which is definitely not the case.

And unless this game has changed anything for this specific reason, 2H weapons can and do up to around double the damage of an equivalent 1H, roughly.

The only benefit I can see to dual wielding over two-handed where weapon based combat art classes or builds come into play, is the more sockets and more weapon variety for better roll chances.

Am I missing something here or am I spot on in this specific, special circumstance? (When using weapon based combat arts) Maybe 2H weapons in Sacred 2 specifically don't actually have double the damage of an equivalent 1H or I somehow have it wrong otherwise?

Cheers.

If I am right, here is a compiled list of combat arts that this would hold true for, interestingly:

http://www.sacredwiki.org/index.php/Sacred_2:Weapon_Damage_Based_Combat_Arts

P.S my auto attacks and combat art attacks were only roughly 10% slower in attack speed than when dual wielding, not nearly slower enough imo if weapon combat arts are only based off one weapon.

Welcome to DarkMatters Josh!

For an early post what a doozie...awesome :thumbsup: You've got me thinking into the kinds of power house builds I saw in game from other players in HC... I'm not sure I saw a very high level two hander in action actually. Peeps mostly stuck to two weaspons because of the very significant advantage of extra sockets combined with multiple native item mods, and a style choice.

Who doesn't love duel wielding^^

:)

gogo

Welcome to DarkMatters Josh!

For an early post what a doozie...awesome :thumbsup: You've got me thinking into the kinds of power house builds I saw in game from other players in HC... I'm not sure I saw a very high level two hander in action actually. Peeps mostly stuck to two weaspons because of the very significant advantage of extra sockets combined with multiple native item mods, and a style choice.

Who doesn't love duel wielding^^

gogo

Thanks! :D

Who doesn't love Dual Wielding though indeed haha.

Especially because besides rolling a Shadow Warrior, how many other builds is going to basically be 100% "weapon damage combat arts" or even enough of the build for it to compensate for the extra slots/rolls/weapon variety and most importantly coolness factor of Dual Wielding :P

Anti Trust wrote up a paper on the advantages of wielding twin bone slicers which can wipe up anything in the game most easily:

http://www.sacredwiki.org/index.php/Sacred_2:Twin_Boneslicers

gogo

It seems that post is more specifically about Dual Wielding Boneslicers and then as opposed to Dual Wielding other weapons rather than Dual Wielding v Two-Hand.

Still some cool info and awesome theory crafting though, theory crafting ftw :D (Ultima Online theory crafting <3)

I went into duel wielding purely for attack speed and combat art execution speeds and extra double hits for faster CA execution speeds

http://darkmatters.org/forums/index.php?/topic/22771-duel-wield-swords-seraphim-in-a-1-picture-map-guild-easy-to-grasp/

I do kind of feel bad because I hit slower haha, but honestly, up to double damage just somewhat slower is still much better in theory and whether I notice it or not I try to keep that in mind, tell myself that I also only enjoy quicker attack speeds because just seeing quicker attacks and more numbers on the screen makes me feel like im getting more done :P

Maybe if there's some sort of stagger mechanic and maybe there is, then quicker attacks even at less overall DPS would definitely have other advantages to compensate for raw damage done.

Not to mention, though im not sure personally, that being basically anything other than a Shadow Warrior like what you have above, is probably not 100% weapon damage combat art based or even probably close enough to justify the extra raw damage over sockets/rolls/wep variety, so in your and most other cases it probably is better to Dual Wield.

This whole concept is specifically for the use of the afore mentioned "weapon damage combat arts" a link to all these of which I posted in my first thread. I wonder at what point in a build, how many of these would need to be incorporated before a Two-hand becomes Superior to Dual Wielding, if at all taking into account the other benefits of Dual Wielding. For example, going off that link, the Inquisitor apparently has 5 of those WDCA's, the Shadow Warrior 4.

Definitely big damages if you could make an entire build out of them, extra craziness if you could expert touch and either combo them from multiple aspects or be able to use most if not all from one aspect for added carnage.

Edited by Whiskiz

Weapon-based combat arts use damage from both weapons. Don't go by the display on the character sheet, look at the actual floating damage numbers above enemies when you hit them. Unless you're dual wielding daggers you'll be doing more damage dual-wielding than with a 2-hander.

Normal enemies:

Deathblow with it's double damage is a big factor.

Say you need 3 hits with a one-hander to kill an enemy. Now you have 34% deathblow.

Twohander: 2 rounds to kill the enemy

Dual-Wielding: first one-hander robs a third of the hitpoints and the second one-hander does already double damage because of deathblow killing the enemy. So its a kill in one round.

Another big factor are x-x damage rings which affect both weapons when dual wielding. So the difference between a two-hander and dual-wielding gets less the better and more x-x rings you have.

This goes for Dryads and SW as far as making it possible to ignore a weapon skill and fight without a weapon and just a shield in the offhand.

Bosses:

X% life leech is most important and is also triggered each hit. Before the AddOn x% life leech on single handed weapons was very rare, the CM-patch changed that.

here's a clip of my duel wield seraphim in niob vs guardian
Yeah alot of floating text and with high atack speed I can use Soul hammer more effectively as a double slice, and more double hits tent to increase CA speeds

(the numbers are alot closer packed in Niob)
Video of her in platinum vs guardians
Edited by 27isbadluck