Sometimes you just can't win

My daughter went to Florida for vacation on Wednesday with my sister and nephew. Last week before school starts (her senior year - wow time flies).

Now they have had this vacation planned for almost a year. They get down there just in time to have Hurricane Hermine come through and ruin at least the first couple days. To add insult to injury, the day she is coming back (Monday), Hermine is forecast to hit Cape Cod. So she gets the storm at both ends of her vacation.

Hopefully the middle days will be much more fun/pleasant :P

And please please no flight delays/cancellations....Would hate to have her miss the first day (or 2) of school.

My daughter went to Florida for vacation on Wednesday with my sister and nephew. Last week before school starts (her senior year - wow time flies).

Now they have had this vacation planned for almost a year. They get down there just in time to have Hurricane Hermine come through and ruin at least the first couple days. To add insult to injury, the day she is coming back (Monday), Hermine is forecast to hit Cape Cod. So she gets the storm at both ends of her vacation.

Hopefully the middle days will be much more fun/pleasant :P

And please please no flight delays/cancellations....Would hate to have her miss the first day (or 2) of school.

That's a downer, Robb... and at both ends too! I've been lucky with some of my latest vacations, but didnt have a hurricane partying with me as well like your daugthter :o .. Glad she's okay though, safety is paramount!

:)

gogo

Right after I wrote this, the forecast changed a bit and the storm is now forecast to hang out near the coast starting Sunday thru Wednesday. So not taking any chances with flights being cancelled and having her come home Saturday night. She's a little bummed but I guess she and my nephew weren't getting along great so maybe it's for the best.

I don't think the winds are aligned up right for me to worry about coastal flooding...think it's more the mid-Atlantic states. Hopefully I won't have to deal with that....too busy with everything else.

Guess her flight had to go around the storm but wasn't more than 20-30 minutes longer than expected. Home now and safe so that's really the big thing. Storm looks like it going to hang out just south of me for a few days. So some wind and rain....and to be honest we've had Nor-easters much worse than this looks to be.

We are under a Tropical Storm Watch that I'm sure will turn into a TS Warning tomorrow....not too worried about it though. My main worry was tidal surge but the winds won't be coming at me in the right position to flood my yard...haven't got any warnings posted or calls from the local police yet to evacuate so I'm sure we're fine there.

And she can finsih the summer reading she was supposed to do anyways. She 'just' remembered a book she hasn't read yet. And nothing is better for book reading than a rainy/stormy day :D

• Like! 1

We have some problems with vacations. My wife has to find a replacement as a doctor, we need some people to look for the animals, ...

So normally we do a family vacation every second year.We didn't this year. Our seconds visits a full day school now and we wanted her to have some nice summer breaks. So she was a guest for a month at a former Au Pair girl we had from Norway. The new school however does a know your class two weeks journey at the begin of the school year. Exactly the same continent: Europe, exactly the same country: Norway, exactly the same town: Trondheim....

Trondheim is a sister/twin town of her new school at Darmstadt which we didn't knew.

• Like! 1

Guess I could call this 'The Storm That Wasn't', at least around here. We went under TS Warning late Sunday night. And I waited all day Monday to feel the effects. Sure we got a little bit of wind and a little bit of rain, but if I didn't know Hermine was out there I would not have thought the weather was anything special.

TBH it was rather dissapointing. Moved all my lawn fruniture inside and didn't need to. A friend who left his stuff out posted a pic yesterday afternoon showing ONE plastic lawn chair overturned. That was the extent of 'damage' to his yard. Over all I'm glad the weather wasn't bad. Last thing I needed was running around fixing/replacing antennas...busy enough without adding work to me.

• Like! 1