Sacred 2 and modern machines & OS

I recently clashed with a character on the Steam forums who insists that Sacred 2 will not run on modern machines or operating systems; meaning anything after XP I think. I think he wants the game removed from Steam; or a warning placed on the store page

What is the experience of the vets on this forum?

Personally I run the game on an i3 with W7 64Bit and it has never run better

Prior to this I had trouble running it - very bad stuttering, especially in towns

How about Sacred 2 on W8 and W10?

I'm running Win95 games on my Win7 64bit laptop with no problems and only ever had one problem with Sacred 2 but that was with the Securom DRM not the game itself.

This is why I chose W7 64Bit when I built my current rig last Christmas

Personnaly I'm on Windows 7 pro 64bits and I've never managed to get Sacred 2 Gold (GoG version or steam) to work properly whatever I did (I've almost tried all I think); it keeps crashing (Sacred2.exe has ceased to function....), like Androdion said, sometimes after 5 minutes, sometimes 2, I think I can't get more thyan 30 minutes without a crash, very boring, while my pc runs like a charm for other games or whatever.

I've even been burnt by a french forumer for having advised him to instal CM patch: he said his game was always crashing after the instal while it worked properly before, so...

Very odd; I wonder why that is?

Do you use the CM patch?

I've had crash problems above XP as well. I've been staying with a dual-boot configuration for my machine.

In my opinion, I believe the graphics card could be contributing to crashes if it's not an nVidia card.

• Like! 1

I've had crash problems above XP as well. I've been staying with a dual-boot configuration for my machine.

In my opinion, I believe the graphics card could be contributing to crashes if it's not an nVidia card.

Strange, all my machines have been Intel integrated graphics and never had a problem with the game and I run it in Win7 mode not compatibility mode.

• Like! 1

Personnaly I'm on Windows 7 pro 64bits and I've never managed to get Sacred 2 Gold (GoG version or steam) to work properly whatever I did (I've almost tried all I think); it keeps crashing (Sacred2.exe has ceased to function....), like Androdion said, sometimes after 5 minutes, sometimes 2, I think I can't get more thyan 30 minutes without a crash, very boring, while my pc runs like a charm for other games or whatever.

I've even been burnt by a french forumer for having advised him to instal CM patch: he said his game was always crashing after the instal while it worked properly before, so...

Sorry to hear that.

I suppose you must've tried everything that you could in order to minimize that right?! If not I'll pitch in. ;)

• Like! 1

@ Flix

I always had a lot of slowdowns and stuttering in towns on my previous rigs; but no crashes. The slowdowns bothered me enough to put the game aside repeatedly with the intention to wait until I had a rig that could run it properly. It was disappointing, but it didn't move me to anti-Sacred raging like some.

I came to the conclusion it was a CPU bottleneck due to the code not being well optimised. But that is just a best guess. I am not a programmer.

Does anyone know, does the game code run single or multicore? I still had problems on my previous Core2Duo (2.4Ghz).

Many older games are unable to use multicores, so how well they run depends on the speed of the individual cores

Thus far on my current rig I have had no slowdowns or stuttering or crashes and I am having a blast with the game; finally able to get into it properly.

• Like! 1

I do believe the game utilizes two cores, but not more than that. Older processors are definitely a bottle-neck for this game, when Sacred 2 released, I'd wager it was just as difficult to run as Crysis was back in the day, especially with all the effects and PhysX too.

​It's strange to read others who have issues with the game, and although I've never gotten far, due to quest fatigue and exploring every nook and cranny possible, only Windows Vista played badly with Sacred 2 for me. I don't get many crashes at all, especially when I use modest settings on my rather legacy PC.

• 1 month later...

Slightly different problem perhaps. I have the game running well on a Windows 8 laptop, and it was running well in Windows 7 on a dual booting W7/XPPro PC.

I mentioned elsewhere that at one stage it was refusing to open in W7 with the excuse that “The application has failed to start because d3dx9_36.dll was not found. Reinstalling ......may fix ....” I found that this item was installed but in the wrong place. moved it to the System 32 folder and all was well.

But when I went back to run the game yesterday, it had reverted to the same refusal to open, same message as above. d3dx9_36.dll is installed in every System 32 on every partition I have.

So, confident that Microsoft know all and that I could follow their advice with impunity (naive idiot) I uninstalled all the Sacred 2 installations from W7 and XPPro, and left GOG to reinstall the game overnight.

Full of great expectations I clicked on "Launch Sacred 2 Gold", and no prizes for guessing what message I got.

Has anyone else had this problem in Windows 7 ?

The PC is all defragged , depolluted, checked for registry errors etc (various iObit programs)

Have you tried running the repair console of your OS on boot? It seems like your system may be corrupt somehow and that could (or not) correct its mistakes. Otherwise I'd say do a clean reinstall of the OS because DLL/system32 folder errors are usually a bad sign.

• Like! 1